New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I came across this column today in the Phil Star where Cito Beltran praises the Phil. team for its sportsmanship. Despite losing to better equipped, better funded teams, the Pinoys showed that they were a class act, displaying a brand of pakikisama w/ other teams that in turn won utang na loob from Malaysia. How's that for sharing Pinoy values across Asia?: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=64
    When losing is actually winning
    CTALK By Cito Beltran
    (The Philippine Star) Updated December 21, 2009 12:00 AM

Putrajaya, Malaysia – This is an awkward time. It was only last Saturday when the whole “team” from Goodyear Philippines was celebrating because they made it to the Top 32 qualifiers in the “Goodyear Formula Drift” competition here in Malaysia.

We were especially proud since David Feliciano of the Philippines made it to the 27th slot in a very tough elimination round featuring more experienced, better equipped and well funded drivers and their drift cars.

Last Saturday was also vindication for the team that did not even get into the qualifying round when they competed in Bangkok, Thailand a month ago. While the team earned the respect of other competitors in Bangkok, the Philippine delegation was not spared the ribbing and joking that they had a good driver but he had a “sissy car”.

What happened was the Pinoys brought a car that had some 240-horsepower, which was competitive in Manila. Unfortunately, most of the competitors in Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia had cars with at least twice that power. So the “sissy car” got whipped.

In the old days, national pride would have been enough reason to start a rumble particularly for our basketball teams. But not the Goodyear-DMF boys, what they did beginning in Thailand, and crossing over to Malaysia, is show how losing can be just like winning.

After being knocked out in the Thailand eliminations, the Pinoys did what we do best, they stayed friendly, attentive and always willing to help or lend a hand.

On one stage they gave their stock of high-grade transmission oil to a team who sprung a leak and would not have qualified in the top bracket. Another team got a boost when the Pinoys lent their high-end aluminum jack to a team that needed to change tires in a rush but had a damaged jack.
    The height of generosity came when the team even lent a driver’s seat to a team who did not realize that their seat had an expired safety period for use. I learned that this international event follows very strict standards of safety.

No cheapo imitation helmets allowed, you wear or use safety equipment with a “shelf life” or expiry date, and for competitors who like to argue and contest, if your complaint proves to be invalid you pay fines that are around several hundred US$.

If the Pinoys did not offer to lend the seat, that team would have been automatically disqualified from the race because they had an “expired” equipment.

The winners and qualifiers were further amazed when the Filipinos’ declined to accept payment for all the various help they gave. As it turns out, generosity and goodwill can be contagious. One Malaysian qualifier decided not only to match Pinoy generosity but to do one better.

The Malaysian group offered to work on the “Sissy car” if the Pinoy team would bring it to Malaysia for the next round of competitions. Some three weeks later, the “Sissy car” had steroids equivalent to 110-horsepower more.

The Filipino mechanics that came with the car were introduced to a higher standard of knowledge and a more intense work ethic. The exposure to the technical standards here in Malaysia will certainly raise the level of competition and technical standards in Manila.

If the Filipinos had won in Bangkok, the team would not have been able to display sterling qualities of generosity and willingness to help. They would not have learned what they still needed to know and worse, they would have gone home to Manila with the same “Sissy car”.

It’s only been a few hours after we dropped out of the second stage here in the Formula Drift Malaysia. The first hour is usually the worst. You don’t know what to say because in an international competition, there is no place for excuses. The Philippine team offers none. They were up against good and experienced drivers.

But rather than being dejected, all the Pinoys here have quietly sat down holding little pow-wows and addressing the questions: What must we learn from this and what do we take home with us?

I recently read from the book “The Last Lecture”: “Experience is what you have when you don’t get what you wanted”.

What the Filipinos got here in Malaysia is without doubt a lot better than just a trophy. They come home with knowledge, vision and a mission. Soon we will all be faced with a Challenge not just the drifters but as a nation if we are willing to raise the bar.

Can we, and will we work together to help raise the bar in technical knowledge for motor sports particularly “Drifting” in the Philippines? Can we follow in the steps of Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia that have all successfully planned, organized and hosted a truly international motor sport event such as the Goodyear Formula Drift?

I learned that the Singapore traffic authorities actually played a major role in launching the event in their country because it provided them an opportunity to interact and connect with enthusiasts who would be more cooperative with law enforcement.

In Malaysia, I was told of the discovery that the more tracks they built and the more competitions they staged, racers and enthusiasts actually preferred to stay off the streets.

Rather than be small-minded about staging events, let us allow ourselves the right to have Big Dreams and greater missions. Rather than be closed-minded, let us consider fast cars and fast drivers a valuable asset for international competitions and a sector worth hosting international events that can both be profitable and a source of national pride.

Let us put a stop to saying Filipinos are crazy drivers. Let’s call them potential great Drift drivers.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    What i have observed here in the last Glade Sport Lateral Drift Championship is a lot of filipino drifting driver have potential to compete with other asian countries . What the problem here is about our cars that are under power due to finacial support . Not to many people know that the warranty of the helmet is only 5 years .
    The only good thing on that drifting competition with other asian countries our filipno drivers will learn more technique , accuracy in drifting.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sad... while it's possible for us to actually build 500 hp drift cars, the financial support isn't there. And for big tracks like they use in the Asian Formula Drift series (not like the tight parking lots you have here...) you need the extra power to sustain such long drifts.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Sad... while it's possible for us to actually build 500 hp drift cars, the financial support isn't there. And for big tracks like they use in the Asian Formula Drift series (not like the tight parking lots you have here...) you need the extra power to sustain such long drifts.
    Not really, remember drifting is not all about power a AE86 that has a strong 4ag motor w/ a good LSD, suspension and a driver that has balls can do it, but you'll need a lot of practice to hold a long drift. But sure want to see Phil. to have a competition drift vs just a exhibition...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    wow, what a shame. but kudos for being good sport nonetheless. also, as for other Asian teams being "well funded", ano pa ba ang kulang sa drift team ng Philippines? I thought DMF Drift is supposedly the biggest drift shop in the Philippines, they built some nice race cars (or is it more like show cars?) and should have some big financial backing (you can see the sponsors names plastered all over their show cars). I see the videos on youtube and so far the Philippine drifters/drivers are "OK" theres a few guys that are good but then again, we cant really see the real skill when you start drifting on a real drift course (since usually its parking lot drift "events" that are usually held in the Philippines).

anywayz, I really hope that our local shops, teams, drivers in our country will seriously step up their game. you cant really blame the other international teams because they are more funded, eh kung ilan nga sa nag compete sa drift event eh peke ang racing seat at dala pa ay sirang floor jack! (pero name brand at certified and racing seat at aluminum pa ang rezing floor jack ng pinas! lols! .. so how can we say we dont have the funds??) Im sure the Philippine drift team is not that poor and they have some financial support, you dont really need to be very well funded in order to win a race series or event, all you need is sheer skill and determination.

aite, peace.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    oh and also, any pix?? videos???

aite, peace.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post
    anywayz, I really hope that our local shops, teams, drivers in our country will seriously step up their game. you cant really blame the other international teams because they are more funded, eh kung ilan nga sa nag compete sa drift event eh peke ang racing seat at dala pa ay sirang floor jack! (pero name brand at certified and racing seat at aluminum pa ang rezing floor jack ng pinas! lols! .. so how can we say we dont have the funds??) Im sure the Philippine drift team is not that poor and they have some financial support, you dont really need to be very well funded in order to win a race series or event, all you need is sheer skill and determination.
    I'm 100% sure filipino can compete in same level as Malaysia and Taiwan with or with out big sponsors, if they are willing to look pass thru drifting as a show but a competition. I feel like (from watching some youtube videos) its a show off for them vs serious competition, i watch this video when someone in the mic talking like it was in a circus & giving rides like it was six flag magic mt. its sad you wont get the level of the Japanese by showing off, they also need to have a bigger practice area even thou its a parking lot its ok as long as they can do a J turn, figure 8 and high speed Right or left hand sweeper.

or do something like drift buffet or drift circuit style in caifornia its cheap easy to setup lots of fun, here are my drifting videos
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrnIwEKtPJ0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Drift Buffet 08/18/07[/ame]
    Last edited by 4agze; December 23rd, 2009 at 05:00 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    and btw, what kind of "sissy car" does the Philippine drift team have??? im just curious.

aite, peace.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    well, I just saw the pix and video of the car on DMF's website. IMO I think the team is not that "under funded" at all. they had the sponsors, crew, driver and the car. the car was pretty well built and is up par with the other asian drift cars. also, the first event in Thailand was pretty hard for the Philippine team but the 2nd event in Malaysia showed some improvement from them.

anywayz, all I can say is that whoever wrote the article couldve said everything in a different way. I wouldnt say the Philippine team lose against the other competing teams because they were heavily funded, had bigger budget, had the nicer car and had more HP than ours. DMF's drift car actually had enough power to be competitive on both events (dry weather on Thailand and not a very high speed track & wet weather / course on Malaysai *which is easier for cars to drift, even if its underpowered* ). DMF's drift car was up to specs and looked pretty nice, and can be competitive. but the team & driver will need more practice and experience to be able to compete seriously with the other competing teams. more seat time for David Feliciano and a better / technical / high-speed drift course in the Philippines will be a great place to start practicing.

aite, peace.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    The guy who wrote the column is Cito Beltran from Phil. Star, himself a motoring enthusiast. Maybe his press connections has made him very familiar w/ the funds of the team. You may have a lot of sponsors but if the amount funded isn't that big to begin with, then you will end up with a small operating budget. To put it simply, it's like having 10 sponsors but they only shell out P1000 each. That's peanuts compared to 5 sponsors who shell out P10,000 each. The Phil. team might have the same dilemma.

Anyway, a lot of the observations are right. Even if the sponsors were there, our guys would still have a hard time if they didn't have the right venue to practice in. Like having a well-funded basketball team practice on poorly constructed barangay courts. Come to think of it, even our well-funded basketball team can't hold its own vs. the rest of Asia anymore. But that's another topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Goodyear Formula Drift: When losing is actually winning