New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Quicker and faster are two different things. The 2006 Sonata I used to own can only do 0-60 mph in 6.6 sec. But, it had a top speed (as shown in YT videos) of 152 mph (245 kph). Not the quickest. But, the top speed is fast enough to me for a grandpa car.
    Most quick cars are fast enough for the usual person. Here in the Philippines, a car that can do 0-100 kmh in less than 10 seconds is quick enough in a sea of jeepneys, buses, lumbering AUVs, tricycles, and under-powered small cars/MPVs. Even the popular PPVs are not that quick.

Fast? Maybe a few daredevils go past 150 kmh on the open expressways where most people are lazily doing less than 100 kmh.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Yes it's the same with branded shirts vs Uniqlo shirts, or Swiss watches vs Seiko 5s. It's really about the status and a taste for finer things - though I've seen so many people make justifications for their luxury purchases.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    The finer things in life are always justified to a fault by people who subscribe to the marketing hype.

My uncle, bless his soul, keept reminding me of the fact that, out of the box, his uber-expensive Rolex is more accurate at keeping time than his lower priced Seiko. To him, that make his Rolex "worth the price". He actually, genuinely, loves both brands and he is not a "keeping up with the jones's" type of individual, so I guess he's just telling it as it is in his mind, and not just being boastful of what he can afford.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    At some point, when people get to higher levels of wealth where they simply run out of things to spend money on, the premium paid for marginally better products and services that seem outrageous to us, makes sense for them.

Middle class me only appeciates some nicer things when they can be had for a lot less.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    on expressways where you need to regain hiway speeds after getting stuck behind a slow vehicles, or on a two-way provincial roads where you need to overtake quickly, having a fast car or a torquey engine is a big advantage.

inside a city with heavy traffic, fast cars are just wasting fuel.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo6k View Post

inside a city with heavy traffic, fast cars are just wasting fuel.
    Fast is quite subjective in this sense. A performance car with a V6 or V8 might be ridiculous for most people but for those who can afford, they don't mind at all. Another example - for an Adventure diesel owner, even the base model Civic is much faster than his ride and not as fuel efficient but there are still a lot of people who use their Civics as daily drivers.

A small compact with a powerful 4-banger engine like the WRX or Lancer Evo or Golf GTi or Civic Type R are considered fast cars in their class/category but their fuel consumption is still very reasonable.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Fast is quite subjective in this sense. A performance car with a V6 or V8 might be ridiculous for most people but for those who can afford, they don't mind at all. Another example - for an Adventure diesel owner, even the base model Civic is much faster than his ride and not as fuel efficient but there are still a lot of people who use their Civics as daily drivers.

A small compact with a powerful 4-banger engine like the WRX or Lancer Evo or Golf GTi or Civic Type R are considered fast cars in their class/category but their fuel consumption is still very reasonable.
    typeR can do 100 in 4.9s and 30mpg.

2020 model has more engine cooling...probably can be boosted more again lol.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012

yes its their choice, or have no choice. still they're all stuck in traffic side by side, even having the faster car than the other

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Most quick cars are fast enough for the usual person. Here in the Philippines, a car that can do 0-100 kmh in less than 10 seconds is quick enough in a sea of jeepneys, buses, lumbering AUVs, tricycles, and under-powered small cars/MPVs. Even the popular PPVs are not that quick.

Fast? Maybe a few daredevils go past 150 kmh on the open expressways where most people are lazily doing less than 100 kmh.
    That's true. Here where I am, the cops are hungry for revenue. They'll use every excuse to ticket speeders. I mean they still allow a bit over the speed limit. But, even here, powerful cars are becoming kind of pointless.

For example, with my last speeding ticket, I was in a 40 mph zone. The cops will allow 45 mph. I got ticketed for doing maybe 5 seconds of 52 mph. I was 7 mph over the "allowable" speed limit. That cost me 4 demerits plus $250. That's an expensive 5 seconds. It's been two years since. So, my record is clean once more. But, I lost interest in speeding.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 16th, 2020 at 07:25 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    That's true. Here where I am, the cops are hungry for revenue. They'll use every excuse to ticket speeders. I mean they still allow a bit over the speed limit. But, even here, powerful cars are becoming kind of pointless.

For example, with my last speeding ticket, I was in a 40 mph zone. The cops will allow 45 mph. I got ticketed for doing maybe 5 seconds of 52 mph. I was 7 mph over the "allowable" speed limit. That cost me 4 demerits plus $250. That's an expensive 5 seconds. It's been two years since. So, my record is clean once more. But, I lost interest in speeding.
    Me too sir, China has some good stretch of road, max speed of 80kph only and I was caught doing 96kph (damn petrol engine, too quite that we didn't notice we were speeding already), way over the 10% allowed 88kph, I was fined 200rmb and deducted 6 demerit points. Now, I set up my dashcam to beep whenever I reach 80kph to remind me of the limit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    As EQ would always say, "it is much more fun driving a slow car fast".
    Give me a honda jazz 1.5 and id take anyone in a 50km metro manila race.

Though if its the tplex or sctex run........i will bow out. HP and guts (or idiocy) will win you the race there.

Having said that, i still am a sucker for fast cars. High reving, high hp, exquisite sounding, large displacement petrol engines preferred.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EQAddict; January 16th, 2020 at 09:47 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast