New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    from formula1.com

FIA invite tenders for single tyre supplier
    22 May 2006

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has opened the tender process for a single tyre supplier to the championship in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Tender bids must be submitted by the deadline of June 23, 2006.

There are currently two suppliers involved in the sport - Bridgestone and Michelin - with the latter having already announced their withdrawal at the end of this season. This is likely to mean all teams running on Bridgestone rubber next year, ahead of the official move to single supplier in 2008.

That move is part of the FIA’s plans to cut the costs of competing in Formula One racing. It should also help to curb cornering speeds by eliminating the competition between tyre suppliers.
    Michelin has announced before that it will withdraw from F1 if a single-tyre scheme would be implemented.

Would this affect the current Michelin teams for 2006?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I don't think it would affect the Michellin-supported teams for 2006. The teams that use Michellin tyres most probably have agreements with the tyre maker to supply them with enough tyres to see these teams through the 2006 season since they (the teams) probably have an agreement with Michellin that would be in-effect until next year - but I could be wrong.

However, the 2008 season would prove to be interesting if FIA would pick Bridgestone as the sole tyre supplier. We all know that Bridgestone is a staunch Ferrari stalwart even if they (Bridgestone) supplies tyres to other teams.

This new ruling would definetly open doors to manufactuers like Cooper, who supplies tyres to A1 cars through their Avon Motorsports unit. I bet Goodyear would also make a run for the sole supplier spot. Then there's also Dunlop.

2008 would be interesting.
    Last edited by nicolodeon; May 24th, 2006 at 12:14 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what is still not clear is how they will handle a singe-tyre supplier.

would they standardize the tire compounds available to teams? or willl its development be still on a per-team status?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    My guess is that FIA would release...guidelines or recommendations on what tyre compound to use but leave the..."development" of the tyre to the teams using their "recommended" compound. FIA might push or insist on a specific compound but I bet that the glamour teams like Ferarri won't like that idea.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess the F1 bosses want to control team spending so that other teams get to compete.

F1: Single Tyre Supplier for 2008 onwards