New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BMW will be racing in F1 under their own name BMW.

BMW TAKES OVER SAUBER
    Last Updated: Thursday, 23, June, 2005, 01:19

BMW has announced that it is to take over the Sauber Formula 1 team and establish its own works squad from 2006.

"For the first time in the history of BMW, we will be entering the Formula 1 contest under the BMW name," announced BMW board member Dr. Burkhard Goschel.

"We will be taking responsibility for the engine, for the chassis, for the entire package.

"It will enable us to demonstrate our competence as a car manufacturer.

"We do not expect to have instant success, but we want to be a world champion in this class."

The new factory team will take over and expand Sauber’s existing base in Hinwil, Switzerland.

"I am very happy that I can hand over this team to good hands," said Peter Sauber.

BMW is currently in a long-term partnership with Williams – a relationship that has turned increasingly sour in recent months.

However, Dr Goschel said that BMW is prepared to continue supplying engines to Williams in 2006.

“We would be happy if Williams would still use BMW engines next season,” he said.

Williams is understood to have already entered into discussions with other engine suppliers, including Honda and Cosworth.

BMW Motorsport Director Dr. Mario Theissen explained the company’s belief that it would achieve more success as a full works team than as an engine supplier.

“The decision is based on two insights,” he said.

“Firstly, that the influence of the engine on the winning potential of the overall package has diminished.

“The car, tyres and drivers play a greater role than they used to.

“The second insight is that an optimum overall package can only be achieved with a fully integrated team and coherent processes throughout.

"Over the past few years we have proved that we can produce an excellent F1 engine. Maybe the best, I would say.

"Now we are faced with the more sophisticated task of handling everything else."

BMW initially offered Sauber a straightforward customer engine supply deal for 2006, before seeing the opportunity to take control of and rebrand the team.

The current plan is for the existing Sauber team to remain largely intact, but under the BMW name and management.

The BMW management preferred not to discuss potential drivers at this stage.

The paddock rumour mill has already suggested that current Williams driver Nick Heidfeld would be a strong candidate for a seat with the new team.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    patay kang Williams ka!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    nice one!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    alright...Nick is good choice...Klein has an upside...
    i hope makuha nila si Rubens i know he's dying to get out of the prancing horse franchise.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Finally, some aero for the most powerful engine!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    sana nga kung buhay pa ang f1 next season hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    buhay pa yan yung USGP lang ang tagilid...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    patay kang Williams ka!
    Nah, I'd be surprised if Frank Williams didn't know that this is going to happen. He probably has an ace up his sleeve, perhaps through a Cosworth deal - only Minardi will be running Cosworths next year, and those will be rev-limited V10s (not the new V8s).

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    This is good news. BMW will get their chance to prove how good they are. I hope Mercedes Benz will also do the same. They can probably take over Minardi.

BMW takes over Sauber