New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    World champion Fernando Alonso will join McLaren from Renault in 2007.
    The Spaniard is contracted to Renault for next season but his move will oust either Kimi Raikkonen or Juan Pablo Montoya at McLaren.

The moves comes just days after McLaren signed a lucrative sponsorship deal with Vodafone.

"It's great that our strong belief in the strength and competitiveness of the package has been endorsed by the world champion," said team boss Ron Dennis.

"We always make it clear that we want to be the best and the only way of achieving this is objective is by attracting the best people, the best drivers and the best sponsors."

Dennis added: "We are in discussions with our current drivers regarding the 2007 season.

"Both Juan Pablo and Kimi are extremely talented, professional and competitive Formula One drivers and they will continue to concentrate on our joint challenge for the championship."

Alonso became the youngest ever world champion - at 24 - and the first from Spain when he clinched the title in Brazil in September to end Michael Schumacher's five-year reign.

He said: "To become part of a team with such a desire to succeed and passion for performance is a dream come true for any Formula One driver.

"It will be a new beginning for me and a tremendous challenge and from what I have heard about this new exciting partnership there is something to look forward to.

"Obviously I will be sad to leave Renault but sometimes possibilities come along which are just too good to miss.

"I'm pleased that we are able to make this announcement now as it will allow my current team and I to focus 100% on defending the world championship next year."

Sino naman aalis sa Mclaren?!? Kimi rumoured to go Ferrari ???

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wow!!! This is one exciting development!!!

Baka ma solidify nito ang pag alis ni Kimi sa McLaren. Heck, baka umalis rin si JPM (for BMW or Williams?)

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    IMO they should have kept kimi.Malas lang sila sa engine last season kaya natalo ni alonso si kimi.Given the same luck,kimi would have beaten alonso.But then if kimi's going to ferrari,its not bad at all.The question is,,where does this leave renault??
    What an interesting shakeup.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    I doubt Kimi and Alonso would be good in one team. It would be like Alain Prost and Aryton Senna in 1988 but sans the all out winning spree for the season since Kimi and Alonso might take each other out just like what happened with Senna and Prost later on (when they were on different teams).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is this for real?? i guess we should just give Mclaren the Constructor's right now

i understand the choice might not be completely theirs, but Mclaren would be foolish if they don't do whatever they can to keep Kimi. to use a basketball analogy, if you have a chance to get Shaq, you don't trade Dwyane Wade...you tell Lamar Odom thanks for his contributions, but bye now :hihihi:

yes, anything can happen. yes, Alonso and Kimi might not get along. but if you get a chance to lock up the two best young drivers who will only get better and stay great for a long long time, you take it.

then they can focus all their efforts on building a car that doesn't break :bwahaha:

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Alonso and Kimi in mclaren---sounds like Montoya and Ralf in williams.

Deadly combination.Why?Timebomb waiting to explode. :fight:

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanut
    Alonso and Kimi in mclaren---sounds like Montoya and Ralf in williams.

Deadly combination.Why?Timebomb waiting to explode. :fight:
    Are you saying Ralf will be returning to Williams ????

My guess would be Kimi and Felipe on a Ferrari. Schumi will retire.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Still, I can't understand it that they allow 2007 signings when the 2006 season have not yet begun. Signings should only be done during the silly season so the drivers wouldn't have that aura of throwing races if they get into crashes or blows up engines.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    I can't believe it when I read about this news. Kimi and Alonso? WTF?

I think Mclaren is just preparing for either Kimi or Juan deflecting to another team at the end of the 06 season. Whoever they loose at the end of 2006, they have a good foundation with alonso already signed. Alonso-Monty or Kimi-Alonso it's a devastating combo either way... But I'd rather have kimi

But I personally think they will do whatever they can to keep Kimi, Alonso is just insurance in case Kimi goes somewhere else(worst case scenario). Siguro, rather than Alonso moving to rival ferrari why not sign em? Or.... if you can't beat your enemy, sign em up and have him join your team hehehe

Sana 2007 season na!!!!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baka naman one of the McLaren drivers signed up with Renault already... hmmm...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Alonso will join McLaren in 2007