New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Now that FA has left, saan na siya lilipat?

McLaren confirm Alonso exit

After a turbulent season, McLaren Mercedes today confirmed that double world champion Fernando Alonso will not race with the team in 2008. The following is a press release from the team.

Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end.

The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team’s and Fernando’s 2007 Formula 1 World Championship challenge. Both parties believe that this was the right decision.

Fernando Alonso
    “Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win.
    "

"Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future.”
    Full Article

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    either toyota or red bull
    lie low ata sa renault eh.

ang tanong din sino kapalit nya? - matunog dati pa si Nico Rosberg.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hopefully it's Rosberg, that kid deserves a good car.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I read in one of the news that he will lie low with another team next year, until an opportunity comes up with Ferrari the following year... We'll see.....

4303:gun:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Toyota.....i hope

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    torro rosso! para naman mag top 10 sila.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    aguri aguri aguri :cheer:

8. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    spyker! ops, team india na pala spyker hehe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Toyota naman!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Toyota may consider Alonso as far as car development and ability is concerned (price isn't a matter to them), but being German based, they're likely to pick a 'local,' maybe Glock or Vettel or even take Rosberg to atone for supplying engines for Williams. That's probably the only reason why they'd hire the likes of Ralf Schumacher in the first place.

I don't think Alonso will go to Red Bull having Renault engines. A return to the factory team is possible (for some reason, Briatore is killing to get him back) and Kovalainen can switch to McLaren. I believe Renault is the way to go. Ferrari don't need him, so there's really no other squad that has the potential to win again (unless he's that smart to perform a miracle at a very rich Toyota team).

It's generally dumb to actually choose to leave a top team, but I'm sure Alonso's had several bitter moments there. Curiously, they seem to have bad vibes with Hispanic drivers (including Montoya) though they still have de la Rosa as test driver. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Alonso Officially Leaves Mclaren