New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Fernando Alonso is making his Formula One world title defence look easy.

he's driving on a higher plane

more..

looks like Schumacher will retire without regaining his title..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Schumi is still in the hunt... but it looks doubtful, as Renault is having a very solid season.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Anyone notice Alonso's now-becoming-trademark "quacking duck" victory wave?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    He has a very good package this season. I dont think Schumi can challenge Alonso by this time.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljack
    he's driving on a higher plane
    I'd disagree with that.

Alonso, Kimi & Schumi's driving skills are almost at par... I don't see any of those drivers being on a "higher plane" than the others. What sets Alonso apart is the fact that Renault has a more competent vehicle package at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeljack
    looks like Schumacher will retire without regaining his title..
    I'll disagree with that also.

Take note that two key factors will play NEXT YEAR...

1. Alonso's move to McLaren. McLaren might be one of the top teams but their car's pace and reliability has yet to match Renault and Ferrari. Look at how Kimi is faring... great driver but is held back by this car.

2. Michelin's pullout from Formula1. Ferrari might have an edge due to experience (by having tons of race & testing data over the years) should all teams be forced to run on Bridgestones next year.

And who said Schumi will retire after this year?

Maybe his shot at the championship this year is by a long shot... but who knows for 2007 and beyond?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't think he will retire. He's in his thirties and still at or near the front of the grid every race. How many "old" drivers can say that? David? Monte Carlo was a fluke, mostly won by consistency rather than speed. He's solid, but he's not in the top half of the field anymore. Jacques? Even with a halfway decent car under him, you'd still expect better... but I love the guy.

Schumacher will probably stay on for another year or two, as the "bad old man" on the grid. Like Carlos Sainz, he could probably still take names well into his forties.

While I agree that Alonso's dominance is partly due to Renault, let's not discount his skill. Note that the finishing order was Alonso-Schumi-Raikkonen-Fisi-Massa-Montoya. Understandable, if you take it as given that Renault>Ferrari>McLaren, but note that Schumi and Raikkonen were still both faster than Fisichella.

Just a little less skill on the part of any of the top three drivers would make it a completely different order, so give Alonso credit for his driving.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Schumi won't retire - his still in his thirties and he's not too old to be that competitive. Juan Miguel Fangio was still in competitive car racing when he was already in his early-to-mid 40's.

I agree with the analyisis of M2: Alonzo is in a three-year winning groove because Renault has a more competent vehicle package for three years in a row. It would be interesting to see Schumi, Alonso and Kimi duke it out on one single type of F1 vehicle - say a Jordan.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Just a little less skill on the part of any of the top three drivers would make it a completely different order, so give Alonso credit for his driving.
    Well... ranking Alonso alongside Schumi (ehem... 7 time world champion... ehem) is a good enough credit for him IMO.

What I am driving at is to give Renault a big credit for their more competent package. Some people fail to recognize the crew behind Alonso... crediting solely the victory to the driver.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    ALFONSO! ALFONSO! ALFONSO! wahoo! back-to-back world champ na yan!!!!

NOT! schumacher pa rin. wala sa age yan. nasa talent for me.... so kahit matanda si schumi, andun pa rin talent! long live the 7-time weltmeister!

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by aceshark
    ALFONSO! ALFONSO! ALFONSO! wahoo! back-to-back world champ na yan!!!!

NOT! schumacher pa rin. wala sa age yan. nasa talent for me.... so kahit matanda si schumi, andun pa rin talent! long live the 7-time weltmeister!
    Sino si Alfonso?

Even if Schumi wins the last remaining races this season, Alonso just have to take second places to win the Championship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
3 in a row for Alonso