New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Filipino couple depart Japan leaving 13-yr-old daughter behind

Monday 13th April, 08:56 PM JST
    NARITA —
    An undocumented Filipino couple, who were under a deportation order, left Japan from Narita airport Monday afternoon to return to the Philippines, leaving behind their 13-year-old daughter who was born and raised in Japan and recently granted special permission to stay for one year.

Arlan Calderon, 36, and his 38-year-old wife Sarah arrived at the international airport near Tokyo with their only daughter Noriko, who burst into tears as she saw them off.

While repeatedly expressing his appreciation for the Japanese people who had taken their problem to heart, Arlan told reporters that he is ‘‘very worried about leaving behind my daughter as she is still a minor. She cannot take care of herself.’’

Sarah expressed concern about her daughter’s safety and health, saying, ‘‘I told her to take care of herself and make sure she doesn’t catch a cold.’’

Their departure came a day before the expiration of their provisional release status on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Noriko, who has been entrusted to the care of Sarah’s younger sister, said that she is anxious about her life as a whole and school ‘‘because it is my first time living apart from my parents.’’

‘‘I won’t be able to eat the delicious food my mother cooks,’’ she said, adding that her parents are ‘‘irreplaceable.’’

‘‘But it’s not like we’re never going to see each other,’’ said the teenager, who recently became a second-year student at a junior high school in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture. ‘‘I hope I can show them the next time we meet that I do my best.’’

Earlier in the day, relatives and Arlan’s colleagues gathered at the family’s home in Warabi to bid farewell to the couple.

‘‘We will be waiting for you (to come back),’’ said construction worker Yasuhisa Nagashima, one of Arlan’s colleagues, adding that it would not be ‘‘goodbye.’’

Arlan hugged each of his colleagues and thanked them for their kindness.

‘‘Noriko is here, so I hope we can return to her side as soon as possible,’’ Arlan said, adding that he hoped the day would come when the family would ‘‘be able to live quietly together in Japan.’’

The family had long been seeking special permission for residence for the whole family. But while the Justice Ministry granted Noriko special permission to stay, it declined to extend a hand to the parents.

In mid-March, the Filipino couple told Japanese immigration authorities that they would return to the Philippines in April, leaving behind their daughter who has strongly expressed her wish to stay in Japan to continue her studies. She said she wanted ‘‘to stay in Japan to pursue my dream of opening a dance school in Japan with my best friend.’’

The couple decided to split the family for fear that Noriko could also be detained and deported should the family continue to seek permission for the whole family to remain despite a request from the immigration authorities that they choose between the departure of the entire family or just the parents, according to the family’s lawyer Shogo Watanabe.

The Justice Ministry’s decision to grant permission to Noriko came three days after her parents decided to leave the country.

Noriko will now live with her aunt, who has obtained permanent residence status, and her Japanese uncle. Her relatives will move from Tokyo’s Kita Ward, where they currently reside, to Warabi to allow Noriko to continue her education there.

But as it is expected that Noriko will require some assistance in continuing her life in Japan, the lawyer set up a fund in March aimed at helping Noriko with her future educational and living expenses.

According to Watanabe, the fund had raised 1.58 million yen as of last Friday.

As for the Filipino couple’s livelihood back in the Philippines, Arlan said that nothing has been decided yet, except that he and his wife will move in with Arlan’s mother who lives in Manila.

‘‘The Philippines is not like Japan,’’ he said, adding that it still remains unclear if he would be able to find a job there.

Meanwhile on Sunday afternoon, the family of three handed out around 600 thank you cards, designed by Noriko, on street corners in Warabi to ‘‘express our sincere thanks and appreciation to the Japanese people,’’ Arlan said.

Arlan Calderon came to Japan in May 1993, a year after his wife. Both entered the country using other people’s passports and stayed undetected in Japan. Their daughter was born in 1995.

The couple filed a lawsuit seeking nullification of the deportation order against them, but the Supreme Court rejected their petition last September.
    http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...aughter-behind

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    In that link I posted above may comments section sa baba where people can comment on the news. Grabe ang babaw din tingin nila sa Pilipinas kinda like Chip Tsao.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The image the parents are portraying is that the Philippines is so poor and desperate (think refugee state) that they are willing to leave their daughter alone in Japan rather than "suffer" Philippine life.

CNN video report:
    http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...ef=videosearch
    Last edited by Negus; April 14th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMHO, the Philippines has a worst standard of living (compared to Japan), especially if you are used to the environment of Japan. If I was in the same situation, I'd rather do the same thing for my daughter, at least she would have relatives already in Japan to take care of her daily needs.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 14th, 2009 at 09:55 AM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Arlan Calderon came to Japan in May 1993, a year after his wife. Both entered the country using other people’s passports and stayed undetected in Japan. Their daughter was born in 1995.

this was there big mistake..kawawa naman yung bata..

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Here in Britain, you only have to say 3 magic words ...

I SEEK ASYLUM!

---

Kidding aside, it's pretty eff'ed-up to give that choice, the country or her family, to a 13yr-old girl. But I wonder what difference would it make, to stay in Japan for one more year.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Here in Britain, you only have to say 3 magic words ...

I SEEK ASYLUM!

---

Kidding aside, it's pretty eff'ed-up to give that choice, the country or her family, to a 13yr-old girl. But I wonder what difference would it make, to stay in Japan for one more year.
    thats correct if she can only stay in japan for a year then will have to leave after, it really doesnt make sense leaving her .... also isn't the daughter an automatic jap citizen for she was born there?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Classic case of a child having to suffer for her parents' mistakes. Buti at di sila nakasuhan pa bec. of what their child has to go through. Sorry, but this is on Arlan and Sarah Calderon and not on the Japanese goverment. :nono:

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    you can't blame the japanese government, though. there, as in here, some people must be sacrificed on the altar of public policy.

malas lang talaga ng mga calderon sila na-chambahan.

i've read the comments dun sa website that posted the news report. i think some of the commenters are pinoy (gaijin = foreigner). some are japanese, and a couple are american. wag na tayo magulat sa sinasabi nila... tayo nga mga pinoy ayaw mag emigrate sa nigeria or africa eh, despite them being beautiful countries. we're more developed than nigeria or africa.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I understand the plight of the parents is to seek greener pastures, using fake identities to stay in a foreign land that is what I don't subscribe to. I saw the interview with the husband and he claims he does not speak any Pilipino anymore, he spoke to the media using Japanese. It's situations like these that makes us hard to get visitor's/tourist visas when visiting other countries.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
TNT's sent home leaving daughter in Japan