New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    sad .. i was stationed in bangkok for almost a year .. many fond memories of that place .. especially nung binata pa ako ..

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    ok, now when we're stuck in traffic and pissed at the Philippines, i'm just gonna say to myself, "think about thailand" ...then inhale... makes me feel better ;) shadenfreude!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    With the political mess that have been going on for months and the polarized goverment can't decide when to hold elections. The Army has declared Martial Law...again. More of a Coup d'etat, grabbing power for a weak civilian goverment.

Thailand's army declares martial law, as country's political crisis intensifies
    Associated Press May 19, 2014

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's army declared martial law in a surprise announcement in Bangkok before dawn on Tuesday, intensifying the turbulent nation's deepening political crisis. It was not immediately clear whether a coup d'etat was underway.

The move came after six months of anti-government demonstrations aimed at ousting the government and one day after the Southeast Asian country's caretaker prime minister refused to step down.

The army said in a statement that it had taken the action to "keep peace and order" and soldiers entered several private television stations that are sympathetic to protesters.

A ticker on Chanel 5, an army station, however, denied the military was taking over, saying "the invocation of martial law is not a coup."

Thailand's army has staged at 11 successful coups since the end of absolute monarchy in 1932.
    Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    It amazes me how Thailand can screw themselves up yet comes out still ahead of the Philippines. Bath to peso used to be 1 : 1 until the Asian financial crisis of 1998 started in Bangkok. After the crisis is over, it's 1:1.3. In this country, any political turmoil, the peso immediately collapse but in Thailand, the bath still holding through.

Only show the peso is standing on hallow ground.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    This isn't good. I can imagine the impact this would have on their tourism and business sectors.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    *sigh*... it's an injustice. Only PAL (and not even the other local carriers... WTF) gets to use the nicer terminal. Everyone else is packed into the sh*tty old building... which is a big disincentive to come here...
    ...and yet they still manage to lose money, while the other carrier stuck in the dubiously constructed NAIA-3 is making money.

Our airports definitely need upgrades, but to say that Thailand's airport is better...most probably yes, but it also has a tendency to be hijacked and squatted upon by protesters. Dito sa atin madedelay or macancel flight mo, doon, baka di ka na makauwi :D

afaik, several Thai companies have already put up companies here: cement, agriculture, etc. Business just can't go on as usual with political instability. In Thailand's recent history, there'd been longer times of strife than peace. Dito sa atin, people don't care so corruption just goes on. So...yay for us?

Re martial law: hmm, di ata nagkakalayo yung appearance natin with Thais. If you wear the wrong colored shirt on the wrong day... And, the very fact that the police/military can just pick anyone off the streets, no habeas corpus, no trial, that would make me nervous. The PH doesn't have a monopoly of bad cops/soldiers.
    Last edited by badkuk; May 20th, 2014 at 10:40 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hindi pa naman daw coup. Hassle. I'm in bangkok now.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ingat na lang po kayo diyan sir...sa mga "babae" dun :D

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hehe hindi na nga ako tumitingin sa mga *babae* dito. Baka magkamali ako

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yan Ang lagi kong sinasabi Sa mga gusto ng parliament govt for us. Just look at Thailand eh balik din parati sa military take over, coup d etat.

#retzing

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thailand under MARTIAL LAW