New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjax View Post
    Marcos planned to invade and reclaim back Sabah in the 70's if I'm not mistaken. I used to hear stories from my uncle who was part of the commando unit trained supposedly for the mission

I suppose we had a bad-ass military back then compared to our neighbors

Philippine Daily Inquirer - Google News Archive Search
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    I have to concur on this, may plan nga si Marcos. Hindi ata natuloy because he was focused na on declaring Martial law.

Kuwento nga nang mga elders in the military.
    nakita ko sa FB, na ang plano talaga ni Macoy eh talagang bantayan ang Sabah, ang ginawa ni Ninoy sinabi sa Malaysian Government yung plano ni macoy kaya ayun massacre ang inabot. "Jabidah" massacre ata yun

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismarte View Post
    nakita ko sa FB, na ang plano talaga ni Macoy eh talagang bantayan ang Sabah, ang ginawa ni Ninoy sinabi sa Malaysian Government yung plano ni macoy kaya ayun massacre ang inabot. "Jabidah" massacre ata yun
    I still remember my dad's and uncles' story of how Ninoy divulged Marcos' plan to retake Sabah. Which subsequently led to the Jabidah Massacre.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjax View Post
    Marcos planned to invade and reclaim back Sabah in the 70's if I'm not mistaken. I used to hear stories from my uncle who was part of the commando unit trained supposedly for the mission

I suppose we had a bad-ass military back then compared to our neighbors]
    Since when did we have a bad-ass military?

Malaysia finished off their communist insurgency in 3 years, tayo more than 40 years hindi pa tapos.

Mahina ang PH military, and everyone in the region knows that, especially China.
    Last edited by hein; February 28th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    If Sultan backs down... Most likely tuloy ang Bangsamoro entity... Will the Sultanate play along? Or manggugulo? Are they capable na manggulo ? Or kahit capable ba sila ay insignificant din dahil sa Sulu ay isolated from Mainland Mindanao kaya di ganoon kabilis mag spill over?

If Sultan plays hardball now and there are casualties... Pananagutin ni PNoy anf Sultan then what? Lalong mabura yung claim nila? Manggulo pa ba? Malamang tuloy pa rin Bangsamoro entity.... Whether mag sweep ang Team PNoy o hindi may also depend to an extent on the outcome nito...

Weird lang talaga... Mahina talaga sa diplomasya ang PNoy admin... Wala sila binigay na posssible graceful exit sa sultan... Even just to save face.... Same thing with the isssue against china...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by falken View Post

I still remember my dad's and uncles' story of how Ninoy divulged Marcos' plan to retake Sabah. Which subsequently led to the Jabidah Massacre.
    And i think that also catapulted Ninoy into national consciousness... Dun sya simula nakilala...

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Di na nga natin mabantayan yung walang pagalinlangang territoryo talaga natin, sasawsaw pa tayo sa medyo malabo...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Malaysia wise not to attack sultanate’s men
    By Ramon Tulfo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    12:37 am | Thursday, February 28th, 2013

The ultimatum given by the Malaysian authorities to the men of the Sultanate of Sulu who are holed up in a village in Sabah expired at midnight of Tuesday, Feb. 26.

But Malaysian police and military forces surrounding the village didn’t attack as expected when the ultimatum ended.

The Malaysians are wise to make such a drastic move against people who belong to the Tausugs of Sulu and Tawi-Tawi, a tribe of Filipino Muslims that considers fighting a way of life.

The Tausugs (or Tausog, meaning people of the sea current) revere the Sulu sultanate which ruled them for centuries until the coming of the Americans at the beginning of the 20th century.

They believe in the cause of their sultanate even if its power of life and death over its subjects has become dormant for more than a century now.

If the men and women led by Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, who were sent by Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, are harmed, the people in Sulu and Tawi-Tawi and the Tausugs in Sabah would take up arms against the Malaysian government.

In the event a Tausug revolt against Malaysia takes place, most Tausugs in Sabah will harbor or fight with the warriors from Sulu and Tawi-Tawi. Sabah is only one hour by speedboat from Tawi-Tawi.

From my source close to the sultanate, 2,500 armed Tausugs are in Sabah. Most of them belong to the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) whose founder, Nur Misuari, traces his lineage to the sultanate.

The armed men from Sulu and Tawi-Tawi landed in the Malaysian state even before Sultan Kiram and his group arrived in Sabah.

At the height of the furor over the landing last week, about 150 MNLF armed regulars from Palawan landed in Sabah, according to very reliable sources. Although the Malaysian and Philippine navies guard the boundary between the two countries, it is easy to cross the border.

This porous border contributed to the increase of the Tausug population in Sabah, with many who escaped the war between the government and the MNLF in the 1970s and ’80s settling down in the Malaysian state.

Malaysia is walking on a tightrope in the Sabah standoff.

His advisers should advise President Noy to refrain from making statements on the Sabah standoff that would hurt the sensibilities of the Tausugs. In trying to please Malaysia, the President might have another Tausug revolt in his hands.

The President said he would order the arrest of Sultan Jamalulu Kiram III if he didn’t withdraw his armed men from Sabah.

Such statements are counterproductive.

If the President doesn’t know it yet, the Tausug revolt in the 1970-1980s nearly resulted in the collapse of the Marcos government.

Guys this is interesting article from R.Tulfo.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hein View Post
    Since when did we have a bad-ass military?

Malaysia finished off their communist insurgency in 3 years, tayo more than 40 years hindi pa tapos.

Mahina ang PH military, and everyone in the region knows that, especially China.
    Its just that politics do the talking. Actually alam ng paf, marines kung saan nagtatago mga communist sa mindanao. Sabi ng pinsan ko na pilot sa air force meron mga fly away zone sa mindanao dahil ang govt at rebel militants ay meron sila peace agreement kuno. Marami kasi hocus focus, corruption sa afp at potikos natin. So sad

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by iOz View Post
    By Ramon Tulfo

The ultimatum given by the Malaysian authorities to the men of the Sultanate of Sulu who are holed up in a village in Sabah expired at midnight of Tuesday, Feb. 26.

But Malaysian police and military forces surrounding the village didn’t attack as expected when the ultimatum ended.

The Malaysians are wise to make such a drastic move against people who belong to the Tausugs of Sulu and Tawi-Tawi, a tribe of Filipino Muslims that considers fighting a way of life.

The Tausugs (or Tausog, meaning people of the sea current) revere the Sulu sultanate which ruled them for centuries until the coming of the Americans at the beginning of the 20th century.

They believe in the cause of their sultanate even if its power of life and death over its subjects has become dormant for more than a century now.

If the men and women led by Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, who were sent by Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, are harmed, the people in Sulu and Tawi-Tawi and the Tausugs in Sabah would take up arms against the Malaysian government.

In the event a Tausug revolt against Malaysia takes place, most Tausugs in Sabah will harbor or fight with the warriors from Sulu and Tawi-Tawi. Sabah is only one hour by speedboat from Tawi-Tawi.

From my source close to the sultanate, 2,500 armed Tausugs are in Sabah. Most of them belong to the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) whose founder, Nur Misuari, traces his lineage to the sultanate.

The armed men from Sulu and Tawi-Tawi landed in the Malaysian state even before Sultan Kiram and his group arrived in Sabah.

At the height of the furor over the landing last week, about 150 MNLF armed regulars from Palawan landed in Sabah, according to very reliable sources. Although the Malaysian and Philippine navies guard the boundary between the two countries, it is easy to cross the border.

This porous border contributed to the increase of the Tausug population in Sabah, with many who escaped the war between the government and the MNLF in the 1970s and ’80s settling down in the Malaysian state.

His advisers should advise President Noy to refrain from making statements on the Sabah standoff that would hurt the sensibilities of the Tausugs. In trying to please Malaysia, the President might have another Tausug revolt in his hands.

The President said he would order the arrest of Sultan Jamalulu Kiram III if he didn’t withdraw his armed men from Sabah.

If the President doesn’t know it yet, the Tausug revolt in the 1970-1980s nearly resulted in the collapse of the Marcos government.

Well, R. Tulfo is kidding himself if he thinks that "2,500 armed fighters, plus the entire clan of Tausugs" will easily scare off the Malaysians.

They're not up against a ragtag bunch of conscripts wearing uniforms and carrying rifles. Rather, it's an entire country's armed forces (army, air force, navy) against the so-called "Royal Army".

Tell me, what are they going to shoot back with if bombs start dropping and missles come flying?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iOz View Post
    By Ramon Tulfo

Kaya siguro madami tayo kapatid na muslim sa quiapo na walking distance lang sa malacanan dahil sa takot ni macoy na mag revolt ang mga tausug?

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast