New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    "Momma, the Emperor has no clothes on!!!"
    --Emperor's New Clothes--

MANILA, Philippines -- Convicted plunderer ex-president Joseph Estrada, enjoying unprecedented freedom after being pardoned without serving a single day of his life sentence, was mugged by reality when he appeared at a Foreign Correspondents Club of the Philippines forum on Thursday at the Sofitel Hotel.

In his usual jovial manner, the former movie idol was about to wrap up a pleasant, hour-long dialogue with his audience of mostly foreign media organizations when he came up against a question from an Agence France Presse correspondent.

Was it not hypocritical of him to presume to lead the fight against corruption, accusing President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of such crimes when he himself was convicted of plunder?

According to those present at the forum, Estrada coolly brushed aside his conviction for corruption, saying the people had acquitted him, citing surveys showing that majority of Filipinos believe he was innocent.

Persistent correspondent

But AFP correspondent Mynardo Macaraig would not let him get away that easily. He said surveys had become popularity contests and suggested that Estrada's presence was probably not doing the opposition any good.

"Macaraig was referring to Estrada's presence at the Ayala interfaith rally [last Feb. 29] which some complained about. So he asked Estrada if he thought of stepping aside because he was dividing the opposition instead of unifying it," said one observer who asked not to be identified.

The room fell silent, all chit-chat stopped as everyone turned their attention to the exchange.

Estrada's affability vanished and he scowled at Macaraig as he launched into his familiar litany of wounded innocence. He said the court that convicted him was a kangaroo court.

Caught flat-footed

The exchange lasted less than five minutes, and the festive atmosphere returned after another reporter asked Estrada about the new movie he was doing with Star Cinema.

Reached by phone Friday, Estrada said he was caught "flat-footed" by Macaraig's question and was "pikon" (peeved).

He said nobody had ever asked him such a question in media interviews, not since he walked out of "rest house" detention following his pardon.

"That man has a grudge [against] me," he said of the AFP correspondent.

"It was a personal insult. I believe I am an innocent. I explained it to him that people have already acquitted me and not the Sandiganbayan justices," Estrada said.

Estrada, 70, was impeached in November 2000 on charges he had accepted bribes, engaged in graft and corrupt practices and betrayed the public trust. Two months later, a military-backed people power uprising drove him out of Malacañang.

In September 2007, the Sandiganbayan anti-graft court found him guilty of plundering hundreds of millions of pesos in tax kickbacks and illegal gambling bribes and sentenced him to life imprisonment.

Visits in poor areas

But barely two months after his conviction, Arroyo granted him executive clemency which allowed him to walk a free man, with his civil and political liberties restored.

He has recently been visiting urban poor areas, handing out gifts with his name and picture, fueling suspicions he is seeking to run for president again.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Isn't it hypocritical as well not just for Jose "Erap" Velarde but also for his supporters to slam Gloria when they praise and support a plunderer like Erap?

I hope people remember this before they go out voting for people like Chiz.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Who acquitted erap? The people? Through surveys? Bobo talaga

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by creepy View Post
    Isn't it hypocritical as well not just for Jose "Erap" Velarde but also for his supporters to slam Gloria when they praise and support a plunderer like Erap?

I hope people remember this before they go out voting for people like Chiz.
    amen +1gazillion

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    the image of cory and erap chatting ang smiling like bossom buddies, now THATS hipocrisy! not to mention nauseating too...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    the things people do to stay in power. tsk tsk tsk
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Nakakakulo talaga ng dugo tong taong toh! Acquitted!? By the people!? Hello!?
    Feeling talaga, kapal ng mukha mo gurang! Magsama kayo ng anak mo!

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    kung me kasabihan bite the hand that feed you

baka namisinterpret ni erap baka akala nya bite the hand that freed you

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Bobo't boba. Parehong nangurakot gusto pang mangurakot. Pwede ba, magendorse ka nalang manang cory ng mga products gaya ng magaling mong anak. Ikaw naman erap gumawa ka na lang ng movies para may pagasa na ulit ang mga "dukha". Parehong manggagamit, oh ano yung ginawa nyong "big rally" sa Makati? May nangyari ba? Ah, meron. Nambwisit lang kayo ng mga employees dun.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    talagang kakasuka ..

imagine kung gaano ka hipokrito 'tong cory at erap na kala mo tunay na buddies sila. pwe. tunay na proweba ba ito na talagang short memory ang mga pinoy?..

buti nga sa kanya at sagad to the bone ang supalpal sa kanya. haha..

Question on hypocrisy peeves Estrada