New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Do you agree?

POOR JUDGMENT - 3 reasons why the poor should not be babied

(EDITOR'S NOTE: Mikka Ortega is the daughter of murdered Palawan journalist and anti-corruption advocate Gerardo 'Doc Gerry' Ortega)

All this talk about squatters got me thinking that maybe Bianca Gonzales was onto something. The poor should not be babied. Why should they be? They don’t deserve our minced words and fake smiles.

We live in a meritocracy. In this day and age, you are judged for your merits. You get what you deserve. And the poor deserve to be put in their place, once and for all.

And because we don’t have time for too many reasons--you know, busy toiling and paying for taxes and all--here are just 3 reasons why the poor should not be babied:

1) Poor people leech off and steal.

And, of course, conversely we don’t [leech off or steal]. Never! Not us, no. We are, all of us, independent. We can pay for our own rent. Uh well, at least the cable. Okay fine! We always pay for the movies and music we enjoy. There you go.

Poor people though just have the thief vibes about them, don’t they? Every single time they’re around they make you more alert--hugging your bag like your long lost love. Wallet? Check. Cell phone? Check. Quick! Get to a safe air-conditioned place and buy things you don’t need!

Plus, the poor just leech off someone else’s hard work. What’s worse is they feel entitled to it, as if they deserve these comforts. Not if you don’t work hard for it you don’t. It’s not the taxpayers’ fault that they’re illiterate and sick.

We live in a democracy. Therefore, everyone should be treated equal. No exceptions. Yes, even the handicapped. Honestly, why should we give special treatment to the blind and the deaf? And why do cripples get special parking anyway?

The solution to poverty is quite easy really. Come, I’ll give you a run-on. All they have to do is get money they don’t have to send themselves to schools they can never afford for them to even have work that will pay enough for them to be able to afford these comforts. Of course that’s hard, impossible even. But that’s how the world works, okay?

2) Poor people are lazy.

It is rather obvious, isn’t it? Why poor people are poor. Poor people are poor because they are lazy. There, I said it. And we really don’t need empirical data or sociological studies to know that for sure. One look at them and we know. They’re lazy.

We, on the other hand, are not lazy. We are never late for work. We don’t ever wish to stay at home and sleep all day. Oh god, no. And sometimes, we find it in ourselves to work for 9 hours straight! Imagine that? 9 hours! (Yay! Enough leaves for a Euro tour!) We’re such workaholics, it’s depressing.

The poor, on the other hand, have no one else to blame but themselves. They always choose the wrong job. Someone should tell these people to pick jobs (a) with responsible employers; (b) where your bosses will never ask you to work for 18 hours straight or never go home; (c) where you are given the healthcare and retirement benefits you deserve; (d) where you never get abused; (e) and lastly, where you still have work 6 months later.

Besides, what do they have to say for themselves when you have so many rags to riches stories floating around? Sure, we’re not billionaires either but that’s only because we hate math.

3) Poor people deserve to be poor.

Yes, they do. A professor once said, we are what we choose. We are but the sum total of all our life choices. Ergo the poor are poor because they deliberately and continuously choose to be poor. They refuse to get better. There is a long list of outreach programs out there. See! And they’re still poor? Come on!

To drive home a point let’s quote a person who deserved to be rich, Paris Hilton (this was before she became overrated and boring): “Be born into the right family. Choose your chromosomes wisely. This may seem ludicrous advice, but actually it isn’t. If an heiress is in control of everything, why shouldn’t she be in control of who she’s born to? “

So while the poor were busy starting their lives wrong, we all worked hard to be born to healthy, learned families. Our choice paid off or, more appropriately, paid for our school and our vices. And after years and years of education, these same families welcomed us back to their houses -- back to soft couches and full fridges. Sucks to have poor parents!

Don't help

The conclusion to this non-sarcastic piece is rather simple. The solution to poverty is to pass quick judgment and make hasty generalizations about something as complex as poverty. Opinions about the right and humane policies should not concern us. These topics are but conversation fodder for them lily-livered liberals who do nothing but talk out of their arses. Not us. Not the realistic and practical people of the Philippines.

And remember, in the rare occurrence that poor people make us feel uncomfortable, do nothing. They don’t deserve our help. They decided to be lazy. They chose to be poor. Yes, even that 8-year old kid who spends the night under the bridge and the day asking for alms.

Had the roles been reversed, we, all of us, would expect to be treated the same way. Because clearly, nobody deserves second or third chances and there is no such thing as charity or hope.

Lastly, don't ever forget to congratulate yourself each time to make disparaging remarks about a person who happens to be poor. You’re a better human being for it.
    source: OPINION | Poor Judgment - InterAksyon.com
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 12th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It is as sarcastic as a "non-sarcastic piece" can ever be written.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    So is she being sarcastic and trying to make us all feel guilty so the "babying" of the poor can continue?

Boy, I guess she must be one of the bleeding hearts. If this is the case and she feels that they deserve help, then let her donate a portion of her income to the poor and let her share her house with them as well as all her other assets. It's a democracy after all so she's free to do whatever she wants but as with any democracy, we are all free to do and say whatever we want and if we feel that we're tired of getting the short end of the stick, then let us say our piece and she should not lay the guilt trip on us with her sarcasm.

Let all the bleeding hearts get together and open up their homes and share their resources. Frankly speaking, I'm tired of having to share my "blessings" with the poor. Oh by the way, as I mentioned, it is a democracy so the poor can choose to wear Havianas and Nike trainers for going to the mall while I choose to wear beach walk. The poor can choose to not wear a condom too and have more kids and the poor can choose to bet on jueteng instead of spending that extra money for food on the table.

As for the 8-year old kid living under the bridge, I believe I give my share of charity since my taxes help support the DSWD who most likely will pick the kid up and put them in a shelter somewhere. Yes it is sad but the world is a harsh place. We have suffering people everywhere even in developed nations. Heck, as far back as there is written human history, there have been sufferers. Should I extend myself to everyone and live selflessly? I choose not to. Yes my post is about being selfish, and it may sound like I'm an arrogant b**tard but I'd rather be an arrogant b**tard than a pushover whose earnings get shared by everyone.

Sorry for the rant but articles like the one she wrote drive me bonkers.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Baka may 10 hectares Mikka pwede nyang pa squat yun.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Hindi lang naman squatters ang poor people. Ung mga minumun wage earner poor din naman sila. Hindi ba pwede babaan ang standard cost of living para kahit minimum wage earner ka lang maginhawa buhay mo and could support a family.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^

pwede. price control on basic goods. but that will lead to shortage. which is worse than high cost of living

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    Hindi lang naman squatters ang poor people. Ung mga minumun wage earner poor din naman sila. Hindi ba pwede babaan ang standard cost of living para kahit minimum wage earner ka lang maginhawa buhay mo and could support a family.
    The easiest way to make the burden less is for government to raise the minimum taxable income from the present unrealistic levels. Dapat ang minimum tax exemption should start at say P180,000/year for single individual and P360,000/year for a family (joint filing of husband and wife). This immediately gives the bread winner a bigger take home pay without adding a burden to the employer. The lost taxes will be recouped as VAT when that extra money is used to make a purchase. Another way is to make a 1st house purchase, limitted to a certain amount, tax free and even tax deductible if mortgaged.
    Last edited by yebo; July 13th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

thanks for your inputs sir. i hope they could come up ways ung mga pang long term, wala mangayayari sa pinas kung binebaby ang poor, hindi ma improve ang buhay nila. yan ang kailangan natin improvement sa buhay natin lalo na sa mahihirap.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    yung mga sinasabing "poor people" masisipag mga yan...... masisipag gumawa ng bata

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

kung ma translate lang nila ung kasipagan sa pag trabaho at hindi pag gawa ng bata, their lives will improve sir and pwede na sila mag rent ng kanilang sariling bahay instead of squatting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast