New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 106 of 355 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 3550
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34,875
    #1051
    btw i do agree that the rice problem is self inflicted

    and rice is a very large component of CPI market basket that's why inflation took off like a rocket

    but other inflation drivers like high oil price, strong dollar are beyond our control

    just reminding everyone the Federal Reserve is on a rate hike path

    higher interest rates attracting dollars back to the US (dollars that went to seek higher returns overseas)

    resulting in $$$ scarcity in emerging markets

    so stronger dollar vs EM currencies
    Last edited by uls; September 8th, 2018 at 03:44 PM.

  2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34,875
    #1052
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Here's how the government analyzed the inflation scenario. His economic managers must have been feeding him the wrong info or they have simply given up hope they are blaming it on trump.

    Duterte: 'Inflation is because of Donald Trump' | Philstar.com

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

    From the article above:

    Economic managers attributed the record-high inflation in August to higher electricity, gas, fuels, fish, rice, personal transport, vegetables and meat prices.
    ^^^

    YEP



    Duterte, however, believes the US has something to do with the rising commodity prices.

    “Inflation is dahil ‘yan kay Trump. When Trump raised yung mga tarrif niya, pati banned other items, nagkaloko-loko," the president said during a meeting with Filipinos here.

    Duterte did not explain how the US trade policy affected Philippine prices. He made the statement after the US slapped tariffs on several Chinese goods because of the alleged intellectual property violations of China, a major trading partner of the Philippines.
    ^^^

    NO

    Trump's higher taxes on Chinese goods cause price increases on those goods inside the US

    Syempre US importers pay higher taxes sa customs nila

    so when those products appear on US store shelves mas mataas ang presyo

    that has nothing to do with our inflation

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    19,524
    #1053
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    NO

    Trump's higher taxes on Chinese goods cause price increases on those goods inside the US

    Syempre US importers pay higher taxes sa customs nila

    so when those products appear on US store shelves mas mataas ang presyo

    that has nothing to do with our inflation
    Shouldn't the US tariffs on Chinese goods result in cheaper imports into Philippines from China? China will dump their goods somewhere else if they can't bring them to the US.
    Signature

  4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    21,876
    #1054
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    btw i do agree that the rice problem is self inflicted

    and rice is a very large component of CPI market basket that's why inflation took off like a rocket

    but other inflation drivers like high oil price, strong dollar are beyond our control

    just reminding everyone the Federal Reserve is on a rate hike path

    higher interest rates attracting dollars back to the US (dollars that went to seek higher returns overseas)

    resulting in $$$ scarcity in emerging markets

    so stronger dollar vs EM currencies
    Money that was supposed to subsidies low cost rice was used differently than what it was progammed by Congress...engot yung taga NFA.

    NFA chief admits fund diversion for debt payment | Inquirer News

  5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34,875
    #1055
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Shouldn't the US tariffs on Chinese goods result in cheaper imports into Philippines from China? China will dump their goods somewhere else if they can't bring them to the US.

    i really don't know if the Philippines imported more products from China after Trump's tariffs on Chinese goods

    depende parin sa importers natin if there's increased demand from customers

    even if Chinese companies have tons of inventory and pushing it to PH importers

    it's still the decision of PH importers kung bibili or not which depends on local demand

    theoretically if heavily discounted Chinese goods flood the PH it's a deflationary force (bring down inflation)

  6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34,875
    #1056
    if any importer is allowed to import rice it can bring down the price of rice very quickly

    which can arrest runaway inflation

  7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34,875
    #1057
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Money that was supposed to subsidies low cost rice was used differently than what it was progammed by Congress...engot yung taga NFA.

    NFA chief admits fund diversion for debt payment | Inquirer News
    yeah and i heard on DZMM kanina NFA buying price for palay is too low

    sino farmer gusto magbenta sa NFA when commercial millers will buy at higher price

  8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    #1058
    how about the bukbok rice. i feel na hinde yan dahil sa storage and ulan, siguro from the port of origin palang infested na yan or luma na yun stock nila so pag dating sa atin na aggravate nalang. baka nga they buy it very cheap then they pag the cost. so money in their pockets. then now they want to import more rice then more money on their pocket.

    i saw a news that there is a rice warehouse that was being raid and saw two bodega full of imported rice from China. it might be fake rice though. kaduda ang origin. but if its good rice after testing by the super bright NFA they why not confiscate it and sell it to the poor as NFA rice.

    Du30 keeps on giving threat to rice hoarders and importers pero wala naman siya ginagawang action.

  9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    21,876
    #1059
    Yields on government securities climb as inflation picks up to fresh peak in Aug.

    GOVERNMENT securities’ (GS) yields rose across-the-board last week after the release of surprising August inflation print, which could bolster the case for another rate hike by the central bank in its upcoming policy meeting.

    Bond prices dipped as GS yields went up by an average of 42.19 basis points (bps) week on week, data from the Philippine Dealing & Exchange Corp. as of Sept. 7 showed.

    Analysts attributed this increase to the faster-than-expected August inflation figure.

  10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    38,089
    #1060
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    yeah and i heard on DZMM kanina NFA buying price for palay is too low

    sino farmer gusto magbenta sa NFA when commercial millers will buy at higher price
    i find it ironic, that government is trying to make life more affordable for the filipino, except for the filipino whose toil literally feeds us.
    matagal nang pinagsasamantalahan ng gubyerno ang magsasaka.
    my feeling is, if the farmer is treated well, there will be more farmers and we wouldn't be in this self-generated state of rice-lessness.

    instead of importing and making the importer richer, we should be buying rice at higher price, from our own farmers.
    make it profitable for farmers, to be... farmers!
    otherwise, all we will have, are subdivisions and malls.

Tags for this Thread

Philippine Economy Talk