New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well....imho... the clientele will be going to the pawnshop because of their own freewill, so they know the at least the terms and the interest rates.

and again, imho....pawnshops are thriving because people do not have exactly a line for credit in case of emergency.

which reminds me.... i have not seen a pawnshop while i'm overseas ah... kayo, nakakita na ba kayo?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    well, the earlier posters do have some pragmatic points.

i have to be honest: God forbid kung kelangan ko nga magprenda, i'd probably thank God for pawnshops. pero i can't imagine myself at the other side of the counter.
    most likely i'd find another line of business

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    wag ka lang maging mapasamantala .. yung mga tipong bibigyan mo ng 500 para sa isang radio na patutubusin mg 1200 .. pero of course .. you'll encounter all sorts of folks .. you'll have those na nagpapasanla para makakain .. meron ka rin makakasalubong na magsasanla para bumili ng drugs .. meron din yung mga magsasanla ng mga nakaw na gamit ..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    cumbersome: Another (similar) example.

Your local neighborhood tapsilogan sells their tapsilog for 25 Pesos. They make a profit of about 10 Pesos per tapsilog sold. They are getting profit from the people who are 'misfortunately' hungry. Should they therefore sell their product at 15 Pesos, so as not to get profit from the 'misfortunate' hungry customers?

Businessmen/businesses take out loans from banks. Banks charge interest. But I don't hear people complaining about that.
    Last edited by Bry; January 19th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Value is certainly subjective, and if the tapsilogan feels that the value they added to the beef is worth 10 bucks and the tongues of the clientele agree, then by all means, mark it up by 10 pesos.

You were asking if it was morally acceptable to operate a pawnshop, i answered, by the world's standards, of course. But by God's standards, it's a no. Really depends on what 'morality' you want to subscribe to.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    gusto ko rin magtayo ng pawnshop... business partner tyo... ok namn daw ang return eh basta laging nababantayan un nagaayos ng money. kaso ayaw din ng dad ko. magkano minimum capital for this type of business? medyo mahirap ba ang competition with lhullier and tambunting?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's your opinion. And I respect that.

Just curious, do you think banks are evil/morally wrong too?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    ang pangit dyan eh kung ung mga isasanla sa iyo eh mga nakaw. Ninakawan kmi last 23Dec05, nagtanong ako sa pawnshop...ayaw nila magbigay ng detalye...parang kinukunsinti mga magnanakaw

Quote Originally Posted by cumbersome
    Value is certainly subjective, and if the tapsilogan feels that the value they added to the beef is worth 10 bucks and the tongues of the clientele agree, then by all means, mark it up by 10 pesos.

You were asking if it was morally acceptable to operate a pawnshop, i answered, by the world's standards, of course. But by God's standards, it's a no. Really depends on what 'morality' you want to subscribe to.

nasa bible po ba na immorally wrong ang pawnshop base sa god's standards po?...this is a christian nation, kung immorally wrong ang pawnshop..bakit accepted ng christian society?..di ba christians ang mga owners nyang mga pawnshops na yan?

nagtatanong lang po.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    touchy issue nga to.
    ultimately the decision will be yours. since this is a personal thing involving beliefs and conviction I think the best thing to do would be to stand up for your beliefs and do what you think is ok. dont let anyone tell you differently.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Pawnshop - Is it morally OK?