New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    No 'wang-wang' policy irks VP Binay
    abs-cbnNEWS.com
    Posted at 06/30/2010 7:04 PM | Updated as of 06/30/2010 7:04 PM

MANILA, Philippines - It seems President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III and Vice-President Jejomar Binay do not see completely eye-to-eye on the use of blaring sirens or "wang-wangs."

In an interview, Binay said public officials should not be totally banned from using sirens to squeeze their way out of heavy traffic.

As a former local chief executive, he said he normally uses blaring sirens to be able to immediately respond to an emergency.

"It depends on the situation. Ako sa pagka-mayor ko 'pag may nagbarilan, may na-hostage, kailangan makarating nang maaga (As a mayor, I need to immediately respond to shootouts, hostage-taking incidents)," he told radio dzMM.

He said what’s bad is the use of blaring sirens to avoid being late to an appointment or just to show off.

In his inaugural address Wednesday, Aquino vowed he will not use blaring sirens that are sometimes used by public officials to counterflow traffic.

Under Presidential Decree 96, only motor vehicles designated for the use of the Philippine National Police, Armed Forces of the Philippines, National Bureau of Investigation, Land Transportation Office, Bureau of Fire Protection, and hospital ambulances can be fitted with sirens, bells, horns or similar gadgets.

As for government officials, only the President, Vice President, Senate president, House Speaker, and Chief Justice are allowed to use vehicles with these devices.

Newly installed Justice Secretary Leila de Lima urged the public to report offenders of the presidential decree. She praised the new President for setting an example for public officials.

"Bad habits have to be cut down. It's a matter of implementing the law...which has a very exclusive enumeration of the officials that can use sirens," she said.

Aquino speech 'presidential'

Reacting to the other parts of the inaugural address, Binay said Aquino sounded "presidential" and that he was able to set the parameters of his platform of government.

The outgoing Makati City mayor said Filipinos should heed Aquino's call for help. He said he will also help Aquino by closely coordinating with the branches of government.

Binay said that as of this time, nothing will make him change his decision not to accept any offer from Aquino to join his Cabinet.

"Let's just talk about it some other time. President Aquino and I have agreed that he will just let me do my job as vice president," he said.

Binay initially turned down Aquino's offer during their meeting at the president's residence on Times Street in Quezon City last week.

The vice president has clarified that he did not ask Aquino to appoint him to the Department of the Interior and Local Governments (DILG).

Meanwhile, Binay said that he will concentrate on improving the local government's role in improving the country's economy during his 6-year term.

The vice president said he will hold office at the PNB Building on Roxas Boulevard, the same building occupied by his predecessor, Vice President Noli de Castro.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/me...-irks-vp-binay
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 30th, 2010 at 11:18 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the VP is not given a cabinet position or any other government position, what are his day to day jobs?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    kung emergency, puede namang sumakay si binay sa isang police car o kung gusto nya sikat siya, eh di fire truck. eh di wang wang ng wang wang sya

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    i laud this particular intention by p-noy, sana magkatotoo na mawala yang mga wang wang users na wala na sa lugar, e kala mo kung sino pa

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Nagpalusot pa eh...Kahit ba emergency at mayor ka, kung bawal, bawal. Mr VP kung ganyan ang reasoning mo e di lahat na ng may katungkulan yan din ang sasabihin, wala talaga kong tiwala rito kay mang Temi.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hay naku. Yan si Binay talaga, so hungry for power. Umpisa pa lang, angal na kaagad.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I am not surprised at all. I once attended a wedding where Nognog was one of the Ninongs. I saw how his bodyguards stopped traffic at a busy street just as so he could cross at his convenience. Kapal!

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    If the VP is not given a cabinet position or any other government position, what are his day to day jobs?
    de mangampanya for the next 6 years.:D

seriously ganito yata yung ginawa ng isang past VP (forgot the name) nung di binigyan ng posisyon sa govt.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niwde11 View Post
    de mangampanya for the next 6 years.:D

seriously ganito yata yung ginawa ng isang past VP (forgot the name) nung di binigyan ng posisyon sa govt.
    Ganun na nga. Sabi niya kahapon sa interview, iikutin daw niya yung mga probinsiya para "alamin ang mga pangangailangan" ng mga mamamayan dun. :charing:

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

"Walang 'wang-wang', counterflow at (ko)tong"..... Sana matupad ito.... Kita mo kaagad ang resulta sa pang-araw-araw na pagmamaneho... Everyone's on the same level on public roads.

Yari ang "Counterflow Capital of the Philippines" (LPC)...

If I remember correctly, when CCA was President,- her convoy stopped at intersections when the traffic light was red... Also, they did not use 'wang-wang'.....

10.2K:chicken:

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
No 'wang wang' policy irks VP Binay