1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...-weekendsDepEd

TGIF: No homework on weekends–DepEd
    By Tarra Quismundo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 00:42:00 09/19/2010

Filed Under: Education, Children, Family
    MANILA, Philippines—It’s TGIF (Thank God, it’s Friday) for public elementary [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]students[/COLOR][/COLOR] as the Department of Education (DepEd) has prohibited their teachers from giving homework during the weekend.
    DepEd Memorandum No. 392, issued on Sept. 16, ordered teachers to avoid giving assignments to students over the weekend so they could bond with their families.
    “No homework/assignments shall be given during weekends [so] pupils can enjoy their childhood and spend quality time with their parents without being burdened by the thought of doing homework,” said Education Secretary Armin Luistro in his memo.
    The order was addressed to DepEd bureau directors, regional directors, school division and city superintendents and heads of public [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]elementary [COLOR=blue ! important]schools[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    nationwide. The memo covers more than 12.5 million students attending some 37,600 public elementary [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]schools[/COLOR][/COLOR] across the country.
    Noting the amount of effort that goes into making assignments, Luistro’s memo said teachers should give a “reasonable” amount of work to be done at home “to give their pupils ample time to rest and relax at home for the rest of the day.”
    No more quality time
    “Common homework/assignments may include a period of reading to be done and writing to be completed, problems to be solved and projects to be worked on, among others. The purpose of which is for pupils to increase their knowledge and improve their abilities and skills,” Luistro said.
    “However, it has been observed that parents complain [that pupils] have too much homework/assignments, which rob them and their children of quality time to be together in more enjoyable activities,” the memo added.
    But the Teachers’ Dignity Coalition (TDC) said doing weekend homework was a worthwhile way for parents and their children to spend quality time together.
    “In reality, making assignments is a way for parents and their children to bond,” said TDC spokesperson Emma Policarpio.
    She said teachers would know how much work to give students for the weekend and said assignments were meant to “develop self-learning, self-discipline and time management” skills even without the supervision of teachers.
    “The DepEd has good intentions for the memo ... But teachers know what kind of assignments to give students—those that they can do on their own. [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Homework[/COLOR][/COLOR] is not intended to burden children,” Policarpio said.

I never felt having homework on weekend cut my bonding time with my parents when I was grade school. I could even recall my parents helping me with my assignments and those were moments that I will always bring with me and will do with my kids.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 21st, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    BULL$**T

During my time I did a lot of homework and reviewing during weekends... Basta Sunday off day unless may malaking exam like finals pero I don't believe that homework should be forbidden on weekends...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    oks lang sa akin... early morning the next day ang kopya ay este gawa ko pala ng assignemnt palagi. hehehe

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sayang wala sa college.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    In the olden days, wala kasing masyadong distraction sa kabataan (flor de luna at analisa lang, kasama na power rangers ) kaya kahit tambak ng homework during weekends ok lang. Ngayon daming distraction...FB, malls, PSP, arcade at kung anu-ano pa at ang mga magulang ngayon para sa kanila ang bonding ay yung pamamasyal lang. Dati ang bonding ay yung maglinis ng bahay kasama si inay mag tanim kasama si tatay...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shakatak70 View Post
    In the olden days, wala kasing masyadong distraction sa kabataan (flor de luna at analisa lang, kasama na power rangers ) kaya kahit tambak ng homework during weekends ok lang. Ngayon daming distraction...FB, malls, PSP, arcade at kung anu-ano pa at ang mga magulang ngayon para sa kanila ang bonding ay yung pamamasyal lang. Dati ang bonding ay yung maglinis ng bahay kasama si inay mag tanim kasama si tatay...
    OT konti.
    naalala ko napag-usapan namin ng gf ko. sabi ko ayoko tumira sa subdivision kasi parang ang lungkot. gusto ko ma experience ng anak ko yung maglalaro sa kalsada. sabi ba naman sa akin, "may bata pa bang naglalaro sa kalsada? eh lahat nasa harap na ng computer". hehehe. napa-isip na lang ako bigla. hahaha

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    He-he! Only in the Philippines...........

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Who the fcuk introduced this concept? Lalo lang tatamad estudyante nito, gaya ni Pnoy.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sa totoo lang, sobrang dami magbigay ng assignments mga schools today. Unlike nung time na nagaaral pa ako, halos walang mga assignments.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    welcome to the skul bukol generation! first 3-day weekends, then this

talaga totoo yun sabi-sabi na mga smart napupunta sa private, yun mga bopols napupunta sa public. ibang klase mag-policy making ang mga generation ng bopols noon araw. ba't di pa nila sagarin ng kung anu-ano pa kabopolan na naiisip noon araw like free accredit bilyarans as part of education

this society is going to the dogs. mas lalo lang dADAMI ang bopols at pusong-mamon na walang gagawin kumbakit masama ang mayaman at mabait ang mahirap

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
No homework on weekends - DepEd