New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Taken from:
    http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=66

[SIZE="4"]RP may lose investments due to power crisis[/SIZE]
    By Ma. Elisa P. Osorio (The Philippine Star)
    March 04, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The country is in danger of losing investments as the business community expressed grave concern on the worsening power crisis in the country.

In an interview at the sidelines of yesterday’s Economic Managers Briefing, Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) president Francis Chua said that he has already received numerous complaints from his members regarding the rotating blackouts and the grim news surrounding the power industry.

“Businessmen are very apprehensive. They want to know what is happening because the current situation is not very healthy,” Chua said.

According to Chua, the industry is very worried over the rotating blackouts that has now included Metro Manila. “The bigger issue is the scarcity of electricity.”

Chua said that as of now, none of his member firms have closed shop because of the power interruptions but said that if this continues then it is possible that some will be forced to consider other business locations.

Worse, Chua said that “the worst is yet to come.” He said he has already warned his members to be prepared because the country is just entering the summer season. He said that if the crisis happened in July, a known rainy season, it would have been a different story.

Also, Chua said that this may be a deterrent for firms who are planning on investing in the country because they would not want to infuse money in a place with unsteady supply of electricity.

When asked if the economic managers were able to shed light on the matter of power shortages, Chua said that there is very little the administration can do right now because the implementation of whatever strategy they may come up with will be up to the next president and his new economic managers.

He said that he has received a position paper from the Energy branch of PCCI regarding the power shortage. He said he has yet to read the proposal but said he will forward it to the government in order to formalize the stand of the business community.

Chua noted that he still cannot see an immediate solution to the power crisis that is why the best advise he can give his members is to be prepared for the worst.

Last edited by ghosthunter; March 5th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    FVR solved the power crisis, GMA brought it back..... tsk! tsk! tsk!

I wonder why the hell this thing happened. 4 to 5 years ago this thing was already foreseen. Bakit walang ginawa? Ano ba ginagawa ng Energy dept? natutulog? I mean in the power industry alam na ito way back before pa!

I believe nung panahon pa ni estrada alam na magkakaroon ng power shortage ah!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    FVR solved the power crisis, GMA brought it back..... tsk! tsk! tsk!

I wonder why the hell this thing happened. 4 to 5 years ago this thing was already foreseen. Bakit walang ginawa? Ano ba ginagawa ng Energy dept? natutulog? I mean in the power industry alam na ito way back before pa!

I believe nung panahon pa ni estrada alam na magkakaroon ng power shortage ah!
    As a country grows, it will need more power. Also older power plants will have to be replaced. Everyone knows that.

But the politicians are too much into "green" and "renewable" technology which means stalled implementation of conventional power stations.

Unfortunately even the best green and renewable power sources cannot compare to the output of conventional power plants for the same money invested. As a 3rd world country, we should use more established forms of power generation. Let the 1st world countries spend the millions to experiment for us on their own land.

I foresee another major increase in our electrical bills, as if our electric costs isn't one of the most expensive in the region. The next president will be forced to have another round of fast track development of new power plants all over the country.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    yep! actually erap's program na kuryente para sa lahat hastened the need for more electricity.

Kanina i heard a certain congressman cojuangco proposing to get 2 nuclear power plants from south korea. I dont know if this would push through.... sabi niya around 88 months before maging fully operational. I just wish that our government should do something to prevent these power outages....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    the power crisis is also compounded by the El Nino phenomenon. I'm already seeing a very bleak future after the elections :S
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    the power crisis is also compounded by the El Nino phenomenon. I'm already seeing a very bleak future after the elections :S
    I agree plus with the huge debt we have.......

and GMA has the guts to say na swerte yun susunod na uupo sa kanya

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This is not new.

IIRC, back in the late '70s or '80s, JICA made a study of the Philippines power requirements and concluded that we're gonna have this power crisis unless the government then take steps to avert such impending crisis.

Well, I guess they were right.

Their conclusion/findings was submitted to the government then, and obviously, nothing happened.

Either the succeeding governments ignore the warnings or they sat on their arse and thought that JICA was wrong.

Yes I remember the Ramos administration somehow solved the power crisis, I guess the Arroyo administration didn't make follow-ups or continue what the Ramos administration did.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    Yes I remember the Ramos administration somehow solved the power crisis, I guess the Arroyo administration didn't make follow-ups or continue what the Ramos administration did.
    The Arroyo adminstration was busy elsewhere... busy having P1M dinners abroad and finding more ways to steal more taxpayer money.

Last edited by ghosthunter; March 5th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The Arroyo adminstration was busy elsewhere... busy having P1M dinners abroad and finding more ways to steal more taxpayer money.
    hehehe couldn't agree more

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    The Bataan Nuclear Plant should have been opened

I can't believe people are still scared of it when nuclear plants of today in fact also double as water treatment plants

seriously, everybody else has them. Even the people who got nuked also use them
    Last edited by safeorigin; March 5th, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
NEWS: RP may lose investments due to power crisis