New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    yes 15.00 from North Edsa to Taft.

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Sorry for being a bug here as I have not ridden the MRT and I have ridden the LRT years ago....

With the information above,- does this mean that the fare is P15? Dulu't dulo na ba ito?

10.4K:shazam:

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ayan, may bagong cannon fodder ang mga militants. They're threatening to hold protest rallies at MRT stations. They don't want the goverment to remove the subsidies since these militants don't pay taxes...

Pag ganito nangyari sa US, yung taxpayer mismo ang rereklamo kung bakit ginagamit ng pera nila.
    Last edited by Monseratto; July 30th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    According to De Jesus, the ideal fare is supposed to PhP 45.00. Goverment/Taxpayer pays PhP 30.00/ passenger. He says its unfair for the taxpayer since a majority do not use the MRT/LRT. Rather use the billions to improve the country, it is indeed unfair to only help those living in Metro Manila.

When the MRT first went on-line in the late 90s, the fare was PhP35.00. Walang sumakay. Erap ordered to lower prices. Eversince, di na tumass ang fare for more than a decade.
    On the angle that the whole base of taxpayers subsiding the "only millions" of MRT/LRT riding sector.. tama... let the riders pay for it by themselves...

pero pagtaas ng MRT/LRT, ma decongest ang MRT/LRT, pero lilipat yung ibang users sa baba - jeeps buses.. mas magiging attractive for colorum operations dahil lalaki yung market uli.. so kapag nag hinay hinay yung campaign against colorum... sa kalsada naman ang trapik nyan...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree with the decision to REMOVE the subsidy! magbayad ng tama kung sino ang sasakay.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    they should remove the subsidy but consequence of such, siguradong mas lalong sisikip ang EDSA. this is yet another opportunity for those EDSA buses to stay and ... to expand

the good: part of our taxes will not be used anymore sa MRT subsidy
    the bad: travel/commutation time and fuel consumption expenses increase.

i'm sure those buses will try to increase fares also due to the influx of demand.

i'm beginning to think that population is real problem na talaga.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ya remove the subsidy

people should pay for the benefits they get from using the MRT

kung ayaw nila, mag bus uli sila

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The subsidy really is unjust for people who don't get to use the MRT.

As a former long-time rider of the LRT and MRT... I'd say: remove the subsidy. People who are too poor to pay the far have other options. The MRT is a luxury for commuters, actually. You pay less than bus fare, get there faster and don't have to stand on a smoky street corner waiting to get on?

They could do the fare hike in two parts... raise it to 30 (where it is still competitive with buses, but much faster), then hike the fare 5p every six months till the end of next year.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    easier said than done, noynoy should temper the price increase.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Might be a good time to make the changes habang mataas pa popularity nya and he has very high political capital... We can't subsidize these things indefinitely especially if expense is 5X greater than revenue as the MRT financial condition is in...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    easier said than done, noynoy should temper the price increase.
    It's called political will. Doing the right thing for the greater good despite the criticism of the noisy minority. Those who benefit from the subsidies do not represent the majority of the country. I'd rather see the estimated PhP7 billion a year be used to build better infrastructure for the underdeveloped countryside.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
NEWS: Planned MRT fare hike to test PNoy's political will