New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Hehe... pahingi ng tickets pag naglalaro na yung anak mo. Pag binibigyan ka na ng tickets, sabihin mo, kahit dun lang sa tabi ng mga cheerdancers, okay na sa iyo.

Well, i guess we can never expect all those funding to last forever... What happens next? Ateneo will continue to move forward, and aside from the basketball team what really matters more is how will they sustain the academic programs/infra that were funded by MVP.

Si Slaughter, last year naman ngayon. Ravena, three years to go and this guy has all the endorsements he needs to get him through all the way to the PBA draft. Kawawa yung mga player na hindi aabot sa PBA, wala na silang employment sa Smart (pansin ko kasi parang madaming na-hire sa Smart na mga former players).

Si Ry Tower daw yung magiging next big time donor ng Ateneo... :D
    Hehe, sige try ko kumuha ng maraming tickets. As in... hahahaha

Pero wala ako pang-donate sa sports program nila. Motivational speech na lang. :hysterical:

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    kung ako kay mvp, bawiin nya yung idinonate nyang oakwood flooring ng ateneo gym.......

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Oxygen deprived Eagles?

When Businessman Manny Pangilinan decided to cut ties with Ateneo, the cynic in me assumed that he simply found a convenient excuse to get out of an unproductive financial commitment. Yes, the Ateneo Eagles may have been winning lots of trophies as far as basketball is concerned but in terms of corporate investments or Corporate Social Responsibility, the arrangement has not really given Pangilinan or the Metro Pacific Group any high value return on investment.

Unlike other one-time donors, MVP has had a running tap for the Eagles and sooner or later even his principals or investors would be inclined to ask: what exactly are we getting out of this deal. A doctorate, a building named after him, a few close up features during TV coverage of the UAAP and some press releases has never qualified as good value for money even from a CSR perspective because at the very least, all the support ideally, should eventually become sustainable on its own.

After my initial cynicism, my thoughts soon turned towards giving MVP unsolicited advise by providing Biblical caution on “rash response”. People who read the Bible will easily recall two men who rashly responded to situations and suffered the penalty.

First there was Moses who in a fit of frustration with the ever complaining and annoying Israelites, vent his anger by whacking the rock in order to produce water. This of course was in violation of GOD’s instruction who told him to simply tap the rock. As a consequence, this rash response solicited harsh punishment resulting in Moses never crossing over to the “promised land”.

The second character was Jonah whom, knowing GOD’s capacity to forgive, refused to go to the city of Nineveh, to warn its inhabitants that GOD was about to wipe them out unless they repented. Jonah effectively wanted the Ninevites wiped out because they were one very nasty, cruel and bloodthirsty bunch of people. But because Jonah chose to skip town, he ended up on a boat in the middle of the storm, and being tossed overboard by the crew to save themselves. He ends up in the belly of a whale and in his distress “ I called to the Lord and he answered me. From the depths of the grave I called for help”.

Jonah eventually goes back to complete the mission but resents the fact that the Ninevites end up repenting and being saved. He hates it so much that he preferred death than being party to their salvation. It is at that point where GOD talks to Jonah and points out how Jonah valued a vine that gave Jonah shade, but did not care for the lives of “more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?”

In my mind, many of us, especially business leaders and corporate bosses are naturally predisposed or susceptible to rash response when our efforts and good intentions are spurned, made suspect or dishonored by careless action or disrespect. Unfortunately that is where GOD and man draw the line between true visionaries and mere bosses. Moses and Jonah only saw as far as their nose or how far they could throw the irritants around them. Moses could not keep his eye on the Boss and the “promised land”; Jonah actually did not understand the mission – vision.

Even Jesus lost it when his zeal for GOD’s house consumed him and decided to break up the money making party at the temple. But at the ultimate hour, he was focused on the job, on the mission, he stuck to the plan and thank GOD he did!

Having said that, I refocused on the MVP-Ateneo split up and I realized that much of the talk focused on MVP but little reflection was mentioned about Alma Maters particularly concerning their fundamental role in the equation as well as their obligation to donors and alumnus who come home to “pay it forward”.

In my mind, institutions of learning such as the Ateneo, UP, and others should take this opportunity to reflect on their primary objective which is to give quality education and not dabble in politics. Even such an esteemed University like the Ateneo is not without its feet of clay. Among young parents, I have often heard how one particular teacher has been teaching at the grade school “her way or the highway”. Some graduates have expressed concern about how today’s crop of Eagles no longer embody the servant leader character of Ateneans.

My point is that, many schools, their faculty and high profile leaders have spent too much time and too much effort outside the boundaries of teaching and have concerned themselves with politics, business and especially media. Sadly this has been more pronounced with “Catholic Schools” and the University of the Philippines. While UP has long been politicized, Catholic schools and universities have only recently been drawn into the fray primarily for producing warm bodies during protest marches and signature campaigns.

While academic leadership drifts dangerously towards politics and interests, they carelessly inflict injury upon those who have contributed to the alma mater. The same thing happened to Businessman Danding Cojuangco who poured his heart and wealth into the La Salle athletic program and was rewarded with grief by being dismissed as a “crony” when the Catholic Church took the front line against Marcos. Three decades later, a set of wiser priests sought peace with Cojuangco, who in his humility kept the reconciliation and “restoration” a very private matter.

Now it is MVP who finds himself tarred and spurned by eaglets and a handful of high flying oxygen deprived eagles forgetful what he has brought home to the nest and unmindful and insensitive of the business realities of MVP’s world. Whether it takes three decades or losing championships, I do hope the Ateneans eventually come to realize that they are a school and not a political party.
    come to think of it... may point sya...

although the Catholic Church (be it in the form of CBCP, or the Catholic Universities here) can always say it is part of shepherding the flock...
    Last edited by wowiesy; September 24th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    just a little correction bro, danding cojuangco has been supporting dlsu since the 80's. i remember he got a slew of national basketball players to suit up for dlsu back then like teddy alfarero (+), aflie almario (+), derek pumaren, etc. he just had a falling out w/ dlsu a few years back that's why he withdrew his support from his alma mater. but they're back in good graces again resulting to his return to the dlsu fold this season.
    Same was true for Abalos et al in the recent past,- until the *#$% Lozada *!$%^ (from outside the fence) was cuddled by the Brothers.....

16.9K:spam:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wowiesy View Post
    Oxygen deprived Eagles?

come to think of it... may point sya...

although the Catholic Church (be it in the form of CBCP, or the Catholic Universities here) can always say it is part of shepherding the flock...
    Ateneo should show itself to be above such petty squabbles. The reasons they gave for supporting the Anti-RH stance were weak, and dismayed many of the Educators who are more familiar with the issue.

They should be teaching their students how to think, rather than what to think.

Wake up call nga.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Ateneo should show itself to be above such petty squabbles. The reasons they gave for supporting the Anti-RH stance were weak, and dismayed many of the Educators who are more familiar with the issue.

They should be teaching their students how to think, rather than what to think.

Wake up call nga.
    They should, but all it took was for one bishop to threaten the faculty and staff who signed the manifesto supporting the RH Bill with an investigation and imagined sanctions. I'm actually quite disappointed with Fr. Villarin's stance in response as it seems to make the institution retreat from critical thinking.

I hope Gina Lopez has deeper pockets than MVP with which to support Ateneo since she's the primary moving force behind the anti-mining stance of the ADMU.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Malalaman natin iyan.... But, would Fr. Nebres act differently?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Malalaman natin iyan.... But, would Fr. Nebres act differently?

I believe Fr. Nebres would have acted, at least for ADMU and MVP not to have a very public and bitter break-up, as it were. IIRC, Fr. Nebres tried to dissuade MVP from resigning from the school's Board of Trustees after it was found out that parts of his commencement speech were plagiarized.

All told, I don't think the situation was handled well and the Ateneo is poorer for it. :nono:

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    If Ateneo folds to this emotional blackmail of a tycoon, then mukha silang pera. education is more important than money. Yan ang i-prove nila sa mundo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    If Ateneo folds to this emotional blackmail of a tycoon, then mukha silang pera. education is more important than money. Yan ang i-prove nila sa mundo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't think Ateneo would let themselves be hostaged with this... pero di rin kaila na education costs... major investment din yun...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
MVP parts ways with Ateneo 'completely', cites irreconcilable differences over RH and