New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Japan says whales are eating too much fish causing fisheries to deplete.
    That whale populations need to be culled to reduce their threat to fast-disappearing fish stocks.
    They are the only country in the world allowed to hunt for "research" by the International Whaling Commision. So, is this the result of their research? to hunt more whales?

link: Japan says whaling ensures fish survival

Will Killing Whales Save the World's Fisheries?

I agree to hunting whales for food in dire times, e.g. impoverished days of post-war japan or isolated tribes living in places where food is scarce (eskimo tribes).

I can't agree with this argument.

Sorry, if this topic came out of the blue. I just had a heated debate with a Japanese relative who came over. We were watching the trailer for The Cove (it's finally released in Japan although heavily edited) then he started saying crap about the Australians (Green Peace) that they should mind their own business. Then he argued that whale numbers need to be controlled because they are depleting fish stocks all over the world. I said, No, humans single-handedly reduced BOTH whale and fisheries in the past century. In the end, we just agreed to disagree.
    Last edited by Negus; July 21st, 2010 at 10:16 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ang problem kasi, it's their culture eating whales and other fishes, mahirap talagang tanggalin yun.

Just like the French, animals rights groups are protesting how they make foie gras out of the geese, but the French won't easily give up their favorite food. Btw, afaik, France is the only country that still allows to force feed ducks.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Then tell them that man eat too much fish too, even eat too much chicken, pigs and cows. So we should also be controlled!

Fact is, that's the ecosystem... Can't really use that as an argument...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Same with some pinoys who eat their pets

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I think it boils down to national pride. Japan is tired of being told what to do and not to by the high-handed West. When they talk about Japan-American matters (especially the U.S. bases in Okinawa and Yokosuka), they talk with passion but they can't do anything about it. The previous prime minister vowed transfer of U.S. Bases in Okinawa but miserably failed. Insisting on whaling is one of the few ways they can get back at the west.

Economically, the whaling business doesn't make sense either. It only supports a few hundred jobs, barely a dent in the Japanese economy. and most Japanese never eat whale meat especially the younger generation. Many tasted it only as a delicacy but never eat regularly.

I think this insecurity is rooted from their loss in the wars in the previous century.

Just my opinion.

Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish