New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Plagiarism common practice, OK in Senate, says Sotto

Plagiarism is rampant in the Senate, but some staff members of senators consider it an acceptable practice.

Passages from various authors are included in the speeches of senators and entire legislative bills are being copied and passed off as their own.

The chief of staff of Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto on Wednesday said it was a common practice among Senate staff members to scout for bills that a previous Congress had failed to enact into law and repackage them as their bosses’ pet measures.

For instance, the reproductive health (RH) bill that Sen. Miriam Santiago filed in 1997 has undergone so many incarnations before its current packaging as the committee report that she and Pia Cayetano, chairperson of the committee on women and family relations, now endorse.

Why reinvent the wheel?

“Copying is a common practice. Why do you need to think of a brand-new measure when a good one that was not enacted already exists?” said Hector Villacorta, Sotto’s chief of staff.

At a breakfast forum, Villacorta said former senators would sometimes approach incumbent ones and ask them to refile the measures that failed to reach approval during the former senators’ term.

“They request new senators to refile [the bills] because (these are) already in the archives. Why reinvent the wheel? Re-filing is an accepted practice. It is called copying,” he said.

Word for word

There are also instances when a senator’s staff goes through bills not enacted by a previous Congress and copy these word for word.

“It’s really copying …. Why exert effort when these bills are just lying around?” Villacorta said.

He explained that this was an acceptable practice because “a bill not acted upon dies with an old Congress. So when the new Congress takes over, the staff of the new senators will find out that can still be revived.”

Two senators are being assailed on social networking sites for their alleged failure to attribute information from sources on the Internet contained in their speeches.

Sotto was chastised for not acknowledging a US blogger whose work his researcher cited in a speech against the RH bill last week.

Cayetano was similarly ridiculed for allegedly not mentioning two institutions in separate speeches on maternal health and the environment.

Rationalization

Even Villacorta himself was whipped on the Web for saying that Philippine laws do not have provisions that penalize anyone who freely lifts information from the Internet.

Still, Villacorta said it was easier to rationalize the filing of unoriginal bills than delivering unoriginal speeches because even the Constitution was “plagiarized” from the US charter.

“We plagiarized the US Constitution. All the amendments became our Bill of Rights. But do they call us a plagiaristic country? No, because the law is based on precedent,” Sotto’s chief of staff said.

“Even our Insurance Code is a plagiarized document. The proposed freedom of information bill is plagiarized. What’s more, the Senate and House (of Representatives) versions of the RH bill are very similar. So who is plagiarizing who?” he added.

Villacorta reminded everyone that “the Bible reached us today because the monks copied from the Greeks. Everything really started from a little copying.”

All plagiarists

“Even our image was copied from God. We are all plagiarists,” he said.

Former Sen. Ernesto Maceda was in the Senate Wednesday and acknowledged that the copying of bills from a previous Congress was indeed considered acceptable among his peers during his term.

In the case of speeches, “when we lifted a passage or quotation, we gave the corresponding attribution to the source,” he said.

However, Maceda would not hold Sotto and Cayetano personally accountable for passages in their speeches that might have failed to attribute the right sources.

“I can believe the two senators if they say their speeches were prepared by their staff. It was an omission…. I think to me it’s not a big thing. It’s forgivable if it does not really affect the overall content of the speech…. Almost all senators depend on staff work,” he explained.

Magnanimous

Santiago was also magnanimous when asked about the issue.

“Maybe the speech writer just overlooked it…. This is politics so I guess we should give more leeway to the senators as long as later on they admit that they took it from some other source and they acknowledge that source,” she said.

“This is not academe where it is grave, in effect a mortal sin not to attribute something to its source or author,” Santiago added.

Still, Maceda said it would be good if the senators would “express an apology to authors asking it.”

Not on Villacorta’s watch in the case of Sotto. “Senator Sotto was not personally responsible for preparing the speech. He only read it on the floor. Besides, I already apologized to (US blogger) Sarah Pope,” he said.

Too awkward

Villacorta said Sotto’s researchers initially tried searching for the website of US author Natasha Campbell-McBride but could not open it.

The researchers resorted instead to Sarah Pope’s blog, believing her quotes of Campbell-McBride’s work was verbatim.

“We cannot draw up a speech that says ‘according to this blogger who quoted this author.’ It’s simply too awkward. Besides, what would the Senate President say,” Villacorta said.

“A whole gamut of ‘according to’ would also not make the speech credible. This is the Senate we are talking about,” he added.

Sagad na sa buto kakapalan ng mukha ng mga ito pati tayo idinamay.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Kaya nga Iskul Bukol ang Senado... Sinampolan na ng isa sa mga Escalera bros.... Dapat, si Tonette Macho na lang ang ibinoto...

Teka,- sino ba ang bumoto sa (mga) gvngg*ng na mga iyan?....

16.7K:weathermanf2:>:sampay:

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    dapat pa imbestigahan ang mga mokong nato, halatang lango sa drugs

All plagiarists “Even our image was copied from God. We are all plagiarists,” he said.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yet, its the very same Tito Sotto that keeps getting into public office, in one form or another...nakakainis!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quoting from Mirriam: "God strike them dead."

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Mas maraming bobo dyan sa senado kesa sa mga magagaling, sample lang yang kay skul bukol.

Blame it on the masa, and brace ourself na lang this 2016. The trapos from UNA will rule the land.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Eto nanaman si sotto. nakakaawa naman ang mga blogger parang walang karapatan sa mga isinusulat nila.

It

MANILA, Philippines—It’s a blog and has no copyright.

This was how Senator Vicente Sotto III tried to dismiss claims by US-based Sarah Pope that the lawmaker plagiarized her blog.

“Ang tanong doon may copyright ba iyong blog niya? Kung may copyright iyong blog niya, either dapat mag sorry ako or mag-apologize ako. Or idemanda niya ako (The question is, is her blog covered by a copyright? If the blog has copyright, either I say sorry or I apologize. Or she can sue me),” said Sotto.

In an interview over Radyo Inquirer 990AM, Sotto insisted that Pope simply copied her blog too from another source, Russian-born Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, who claims that contraceptives cause an imbalance between good and bad bacteria in the intestines that breaks down defense against infection.

“The problem is she just copied it. Second, it’s a blog and has no copyright,” he said.

Sotto initially denied using part of Pope’s blog when he argued against the bill to distribute contraceptives in government-run health clinics. But the senator’s chief of staff, Hector Villacorta, later acknowledged that they had used her blog without attribution.

Soon after Sotto’s speech, Pope, who lives in Florida, started receiving messages from the Philippines about it and soon her blog was swamped with reactions and comments. She

Other Stories:
    Web ‘blackout’ in Malaysia to protest law Twitter: Gov’t requests for user data, to block content up in 2012 Twitter passwords bared online made a blog posting last Thursday criticizing the senator as “a lying thief.”

Sotto said Wednesday that the speech he delivered before the Senate was different from the written document or draft obtained by Pope.

“Because what she (Pope) received, fed to her by whoever, was the draft copy of the speech. But that is not my speech. My speech is what I delivered verbally,” he said.

“’In the speech I delivered there’s acknowledgement that that content is not mine,” he said.

Sotto, in a message addressed to Filipinos, said that unlike his detractors, Filipinos knew him well.

“Kilala ninyo kung saan ako nanggaling kung ano ang pinanggalingan ko, kung anong klaseng pagkatao ko. Itong mga naninira sa akin hindi ninyo kilala…eh bakit kayo maniniwala sa kanila,” Sotto said.

Pope, in a separate interview over Radyo Inquirer last Saturday, said Sotto “must be very spineless, to not be able to be man enough to just say ‘I’m sorry’.”

The contraceptives bill is still being debated in the Senate and facing amendments in the House of Representatives. It is unclear when a final version will be put to a vote.

Conservatives and the Catholic Church oppose the bill, saying contraception is the same as abortion, which is illegal in the Philippines. With Associated Press

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Bopols talaga

Sino pa bang bomoto sa mga bobo kundi yung mga bobo din... hay naku andaming tanga sa Pilipinas!

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    “Kilala ninyo kung saan ako nanggaling kung ano ang pinanggalingan ko, kung anong klaseng pagkatao ko. Itong mga naninira sa akin hindi ninyo kilala…eh bakit kayo maniniwala sa kanila,” Sotto said.
    Dahil kilala namin kamada mo boy escalera.

Tungak talaga tong si Sotto.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
    Dahil kilala namin kamada mo boy escalera.

Tungak talaga tong si Sotto.
    Miss Tapia,- tuktukan mo nga sa kukote itong mga Escalera bros.....

Tapo,- i-kick out mo itong mga gvngg*ng na ito at ang mga kasama nila from Wanbol University.... :twak:

16.7K:weathermanf2:>:sampay:

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast