New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Philippines?

Crisis? What crisis?

according to jpdm
    Our land is very fertile. Volcanic in origin. We can plant any crop in the Philippines...

Our country is still relatively big in terms of land area..we are still bigger that Britain or of course tiny Singapore...

Our seas yield lots of food (fish, crustaceans) and resources (oil, natural gas)

Our lands is rich in mineral resources (one of the most mineralized i.e. nonoc island alone if properly developed can yield large amount of nickel--the country in fact is one of the biggest producer of nickel)

Gold, silver, copper, manganese, nickel, chromite, phosphate, iron can be mined in the country..

Still the world's largest producer of copra and abaca..

World's second largest producer of geothermal energy..

Has one of the largest coastlines in the world...

We have the best natural wonders and places in the world that can be FULLY harnessed for tourism..

A big pool of human resources

A big potential market...
    what crisis?

mayaman ang Pinas.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    Philippines?

Crisis? What crisis?

according to jpdm

what crisis?

mayaman ang Pinas.
    Your conclusion above is definitely incorrect.

let me explain..

Per se, the Philippines is resource-rich compared to industrialized and prosperous Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Singapore.

Yet we are prone to these financial crisis and other crisis...

The US is still rich despite the financial turmoil.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I agree with jpdm, the country is resource rich, but the problem is poverty is widespread because of the terrible income inequality in the Philippines...

If there are 20 million Pinoys with just $1 a day income, there are rich Pinoys who can put 6 billion US dollars outside the country...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Philippines?

Crisis? What crisis?

according to jpdm

what crisis?

mayaman ang Pinas.

Indeed, again the country is supposedly well-off. We have oil and mineral resources etc..

But because of these ULS (see below regarding under the table transactions and rent seeking malpractices), and how you seems to justify it and some unscrupolous people in the government, in the private sector, other businessmen and even the Pinoy public, kaya nagkakapeste peste Pilipinas at prone sa ibat ibang krisis...

You said it ULS, based on your own words, these are the various reasons why we are in perpetual crisis despite having all the potentials mentioned by jpdm...

If a businessman is close to someone in Malacanang, and he is able to get his goods out of customs without paying proper taxes, then he has a competitive advantage over a businessman who has no connections in Malacanang coz he has to pay full taxes.

Or if a company that is engaged in a certain industry lobbies the govt not to allow other companies to compete with them in that same industry, then that is their survival advantage.

That happens all the time here.
    Diba u are the one who is always saying meron oligopoly dito sa atin?

well, how is that oligopoly being maintained?

The top businessmen in the country have friends in the highest places in govt.
    And this your conclusion using your 'survival of the fittest' paradigm...

They exist for mutual benefit. I make you rich, u make me rich.

That's the survival advantage of the top businessmen in the country. They are connected to the highest govt people in the land.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Sad no?

That's the status quo.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Sad no?

That's the status quo.

Then, why are you complaining about the unfriendliness of government towards business?

What you have mentioned are the reasons why government is unfriendly to businesses that do not have connections...

and...if fact you are justifying it...

Kung anong tinanim yun ang aanihin...

Thats why Im fighting about a fair game. If we dont tolerate it...perhaps we can create a business-friendly environment with no wheeling and dealing...a free market without greedy and corrupt oligopolies and monopolies...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Some people are still in a state of denial about the true ways of doing business here. Its not about being right or wrong, its the way it works whether we like it or not. So we gotta adapt. We gotta survive.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Some people are still in a state of denial about the true ways of doing business here. Its not about being right or wrong, its the way it works whether we like it or not. So we gotta adapt. We gotta survive.

Thats why we are Asia's most corrupt country...

People are advocating that we should just adapt and tolerate this kind of deep-seated corrupt practices..

Have we lost our sense of moral uprightness?Is it not really possible if not eradicate it minimize it?

This crisis in the US was to a certain extend brought by greed also..

And we are going to duplicate it here?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Then you guys go change it I would love it if you can. Ako I'd rather adapt to the environment then try to be a hero its much easier that way. I am more interested in protecting myself and my family rather than society as a whole. Sorry if you don't like the way I view things but that is me.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    i agree with fighting fire with fire but do always make an effort to make a difference if you'll know the end game will be bad.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Financial Crisis: The Philippine Version