New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    may bagong mayor na manila sa 2013.......
    one term lang daw.

Estrada moves to Manila to fight Dirty Harry | Inquirer News

No more beating around the bush: former President Joseph Estrada is running for mayor of Manila next year.
    After weeks of evasive but leading talk, Estrada finally announced his mayoral run after moving to his new home on Manga Avenue in Barangay 581, in Santa Mesa, Manila, Wednesday. Talk of Estrada challenging Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim in next year’s midterm elections has been going around since last year. But Estrada always said he was uncertain about running for any office in the 2013 midterms.

But his intentions began to show when he bought the half-hectare property in Santa Mesa recently. He was obviously trying to meet the one-year residency requirement for local candidates. On Wednesday, after moving into his new home, Estrada, speaking in Filipino, told reporters: “I’m here to declare my candidacy for mayor of Manila.”

His supporters greeted his declaration with a roar of approval, and repeated chants of Estrada’s nickname: “Erap!”
    Estrada said he was ending his long political career by serving the people of Manila. Born in the city’s Tondo district, he had been mayor of San Juan City, senator and vice president.

One term only

He said, however, that he would serve for only one term.
    “I can handle a three-year term,” he said. “I will improve Manila then I will turn it over to Vice Mayor Isko,” he said, referring to Manila Vice Mayor Francisco Domagoso, who was sitting beside him at the news conference.
    Domagoso and 28 Manila councilors switched to Estrada’s Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP) party last week, offering as an explanation “political differences” with Lim.

Lim announced on Tuesday that he would run for another term as mayor. He said he was looking for a vice mayoral running mate, as Domagoso had decamped to Estrada. Reacting to Estrada’s move to Manila and declaration of his political plans, Lim said, “Good luck.”

Peace and order

Estrada said he would run on a platform of peace and order to attract investors to Manila. New investments would create jobs in the city, ease poverty and enable the capital to catch up with the more prosperous suburbs, he said. Estrada “officially” moved to the Santa Mesa house Wednesday morning, arriving at the head of an entourage of his supporters and three trucks of furniture. Estrada drove his campaign vehicle, a converted SUV marked “Jeep ni Erap,” with Domagoso riding beside him. Estrada’s wife, former senator Luisa “Loi” Estrada and daughter Jackie, rode in the passenger seat behind them. All three wore orange, Estrada’s campaign color.

The former movie action hero turned politician was greeted at his new home by former senator Ernesto Maceda, at least 25 Manila councilors, a brass band and fans carrying welcome streamers and wearing orange shirts or tops emblazoned with “We Love Erap.” Some streamers and placards indicated that some of the supporters weren’t just neighbors in Santa Mesa but residents of Estrada’s district, Tondo. Most of the placards carried messages of admiration in Filipino, such as “Erap aming pangarap,” but there were some that took digs at Lim: “Bawal ang Dirty sa Manila,” referring to Lim’s moniker, “Dirty Harry,” for his unconventional methods of dealing with criminals when he was an officer on the city’s police force.

Loi also

The house, formerly the ancestral home of the well-heeled Legarda family and political headquarters of President Ramon Magsaysay, boasts of at least three spacious common areas and at least five rooms. Ferdie Ramos, one of Estrada’s spokespersons, said the house was 60 years old and cost Estrada P80 million. The house was already furnished, but sparsely decorated. There were tables and chairs, a piano, a flat-screen television and portraits of Estrada on the walls.
    Election lawyer Romulo Macalintal said Estrada should have a “clear intention” to live in Manila before he can be allowed to become a registered voter and run for mayor of the city.

“Physical presence or actual occupation is required plus a clear intention to stay in the place,” Macalintal said. “Mere ownership or possession of the house in [Manila] is not enough,” Macalintal said in a text message.
    Estrada said he would really live there. “I don’t know if the First Lady”—referring to his wife—“will live with me here,” he said. “But I think, yes. She might be forced to live here,” he said. Then he added, grinning, “Joke only. She’s the only one who will live with me here.”

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May tulog si dirty Harry!

Asiong salonga vs dirty Harry

Sabi nga ni erap eh hinde daw siya dirty...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ex-Cop versus Ex-Convict... Anong chances ni Lim versus Erap?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    82 yo (Lim) vs 78 yo (erap).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Considering the current state of Manila and how Lim screwed up during the hostage taking, I'd say Erap has this one in the bag.

I do hope that he doesn't reverse the ban of kuligligs, but rather, upgrade it so as there's a complete ban on the thing.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    may tulog talaga si lim kay erap... for sure marami din residente ng san juan ang lumipat para makaboto sa manila... pero kahit hindi na maghakot ng botante, talagang malakas pa din sa masa si erap. imagine, kung di nag-give way si mar roxas kay noynoy sa pagtakbong presidente nung 2010 e si erap ang presidente natin ngayon...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    malaki puhunan nya. he bought an P80M property just to run next year.
    di pa ubos ang "jueteng" money......

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    malaki puhunan nya. he bought an P80M property just to run next year.
    di pa ubos ang "jueteng" money......
    mani lang kay erap yan... saka baka dumami pa nga jueteng money nya... saka ang alam ko binebenta (o nabenta na??) nya na din yung mansyon nila sa polk st.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    that's good news, indeed. and with the current flak na ginagawa ng China right now. The Filipinos might as well vote for a true-blooded Filipino like Erap and not half-breed like Lim

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    di ako taga manila, pero nabubuwisit ako pag nadaan ako sa harap ng city hall.
    grabe ang traffic dyan!

considering na daily nakikita ni dirty harry yan, di man lang ayusin yung mga PUJs/PUBs na halos gawin nang terminal yung harap ng city hall.....

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Erap moves to Manila to fight Dirty Harry