New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 1981 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Am also part of the so-called youth, but I'm just equally disgusted at those who vote simply based on what's trending in social media.

Particularly annoying is that people seem to love MDS so much just because she has funny pick-up lines and grandstands a lot in the Senate. Yet, these very same people are suddenly mum when you bring up her health, pro-Erap stance, and any other more salient issues.

But there are those who really take time to dig deeper into each candidate and I'm lucky that my FB feed consists more of those people. From what I've seen so far, they're really just discerning between Mar and Duterte.

To sum it up, the contention is that Mar is a brilliant mind, a great worker, and will definitely build on the efforts of the current Aquino administration. He is, however, a very hard sell to the masses, because no matter how much compassion and empathy he has for them, he just doesn't have the charisma to get through them. Also, voting for Mar means that you believe that the Aquino administration has had a positive effect on the country - most people agree, but of course there are those who are staunchly opposed to anything and everything the administration has done.

Duterte on the other hand, is a man universally praised for his achievements in Davao. Like Mar, he has no corruption raps, but unlike Mar, he isn't tainted with the baggage of the LP. However, he is questioned on his Machiavellian tactics, and many doubt that his "my way or the highway" style will work well on a national level, with all the political kingpins in each region.

One flaw that I see in all these comparisons though, is that people compare Davao after 20 years under Duterte with the entire Philippines after only 6 years on Daang Matuwid.

Isn't that an unfair matchup, to compare the progress of a 6-year old to that of a 20-year old? Not to mention that the scope of Daang Matuwid is exponentially larger than Duterte's domain in Davao.

Which is why I want to ask the Duterte supporters, how was Davao in 1994, 6 years after he became Mayor?

This isn't a pro-Mar question, but rather, I'm just looking to get an insight on the expectations of people on a Duterte presidency. Because I'm quite sure that 6 years is not enough to turn the country around, and anyone expecting that will be sorely disappointed.

It's eerily similar to how people celebrated PNoy when he first stepped into office. His first mandate - no wang-wang. Everyone loved it. Then people's expectations went over the top and now, 6 years after, we have people who refuse to acknowledge the steps taken by the administration to bring this country to the right direction, and have instead succumbed to calling PNoy's administration a useless one just because we're not first-world yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Ironically, history tells us that democracy often leads to dictatorships.

Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

One flaw that I see in all these comparisons though, is that people compare Davao after 20 years under Duterte with the entire Philippines after only 6 years on Daang Matuwid.

Isn't that an unfair matchup, to compare the progress of a 6-year old to that of a 20-year old? Not to mention that the scope of Daang Matuwid is exponentially larger than Duterte's domain in Davao.

I would not compare it with 6 years but rather 29 years of trapo and corrupt political system in disguise of democracy that all the previous admin has threaded.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by macsd View Post
    I would not compare it with 6 years but rather 29 years of trapo and corrupt political system in disguise of democracy that all the previous admin has threaded.
    I see. So in your eyes, Cory, Ramos, Erap, GMA, and Noynoy are all the same - a bunch of self-serving idiots who perpetuate corruption, and none of them really cared for the welfare of the country. Ultimately, democracy for you is useless.

If I may ask then, what do you expect from the next administration?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I see. So in your eyes, Cory, Ramos, Erap, GMA, and Noynoy are all the same - a bunch of self-serving idiots who perpetuate corruption, and none of them really cared for the welfare of the country. Ultimately, democracy for you is useless.

If I may ask then, what do you expect from the next administration?

Your absolutely correct sir. I would expect to zero out corruption and if i have my way, i will kill all corrupt from the lowly clerks and traffic aids up to the highest politician even the ex-presidents, confiscate all their assets including those of their relatives. By the end of the term, at least there's an achievement that can be proud of.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Your absolutely correct sir. I would expect to zero out corruption and if i have my way, i will kill all corrupt from the lowly clerks and traffic aids up to the highest politician even the ex-presidents, confiscate all their assets including those of their relatives. By the end of the term, at least there's an achievement that can be proud of.
    I see. And you believe this is possible under a Duterte presidency?

If he can't deliver your expectations, will he be included in your growing list of incompetent nincompoops?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    it will take at least 3 steps in the Tytler cycle before we see any change in society.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I see. And you believe this is possible under a Duterte presidency?

If he can't deliver your expectations, will he be included in your growing list of incompetent nincompoops?

At the current line up of presidential aspirants, yes sir as he has stated it while the rest talk like your ordinary trapos. If he could have killed 25% of the corrupt , for sure the rest of the corrupt will stop. If you remember Lim Seng, he was executed by firing squad live on tv during martial law and the drug menace just stop.

As to the question of ain't delivering expectations, yes he will be included if and only if there was no reduction in corruption at the very least. But i strongly doubt if say 25% had been killed and yet it ain't zero out.
    Last edited by macsd; November 30th, 2015 at 01:56 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Purge

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's all bull him talking about killing all the corrupts. Digong, The President