New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    Did you know that there are only 1300+ PhDs in the Philippines today? (sorry can't remember the exact number, lecture sa amin last time yan) That number is less than Thailand and Malaysia. Doesn't that reflect the state of R&D in the Philippines? (academics that is). Kulang na kulang pa tayo sa training, that's what I meant.

* CVT,

High-risk pala talaga ang Pinas. Parang lumalabas na mahirap umutang sa mga bangko para magtayo ng business dito? Am I correct?
    Although having alot of PhD graduates is good for the country but trust me sir, you really dont need alot of PhD holders to become an economic powerhouse.

In fact, mas magaling pa practicioners keysa PhD holders although mas ok kung practicioner kna PhD holder kpa. At kailangan risk-takers.

Again basic needs lang. I believe this country doesnt need rocket science or nano technology in producing its basic needs.

Example, reverse engineering or over-the-counter technology.

Plastics for instance, we import a big chuck of our requirements. So simple lang, tayo ng factory (yung may capital) to fill up the supply gap (although there is a petrochemical boom going on in the country led by the Petro-FCC and PRU (the first) of Petron, Naphtha Cracker Plant of JG Summit petrochemical corporation (the first) and NPC-Alliance Polyethylene Plant. On the other hand, TKC Steel will put up the first steel blast Furnace plant in the country). May mga downstream industries pa yan that needs lesser capital.

Nung oil deregulation, ang Seaoil of Glenn Yu, anu ba yun kumpara sa Big three and now halos pang-apat na sa dami ng gas station sa PInas. Yung naggagawa sa amin ng generic na dishwashing soap, cleaning liquids, fabric conditioner yumaman dahil dun. Yung isa dati gumagawa lang lamesa at silya gawa sa kahoy ngayon may factory at gumagawa na ng furniture gawa sa bakal. Kinakalaban yung mga mahuhunang furniture na galing sa SM at HOme na puro laminated lang ata.

We are an agricultural country, anyone engage in the integrated production of rice, wheat, coffee, cocoa and soya ( we import most of our requirements)will earn tremendously. (kulang lang ayon sa tutuong expert ay right technology and support from both private sector and the government.

Farm machineries can be fabricated here. Malaki market. Ayaw lang i-explore.Yung taga nueva ecija earns alot by fabricating simple farm machines.

Rubber etc.

Wala namang bansa na no risk ang investments. Kung laging iisipin na dapat instant kita o balik kaagad ang pera e wag na nang magbusiness. Ilagay na lang sa bangko.

Naniniwala pa rin ako na maraming risk takers sa Pinas.

It seems ako lang ang naniniwala sa thread na ito na despite all the problems in the country its worth investing here because of the tremendous potential of the country.

We have the resources ex. LAND. one of the most mineralized country in the world. LABOR. abundant skilled and unskilled labor. of course the government must do something about the blind (Pied Piper)bias towards enrollment of students in medical and nursing courses Na-outstrip na po ng supply ang demand for nursing and other medical courses. Yung PT di na naka-recover.CAPITAL. Keysa inilalagay lahat sa bangko o financial scam and pyramiding o alahas, ilagay sastock market para gamitin ng listed companies for expansion ex. TKC steel. petron.

sa mga post nyo, confirmed kung bakit lamang ang fil-chinese sa bansa ngayon kasi nag-invest sila. Pinoy, takot mag-invest. Sigurista.

Tsaka sa amin yung mga hardware, auto supply at contruction materials production puro Chinoy may ari. Yung mga Pinoy beauty parlor,spa, nagtitinda ng Avon at triumph, may ari ng boutique na nagbebenta ng anik-anik o taga benta ng imported na damit.

Mas kumikita yung sa mga Fil-Chinese. YUng sa mga Pinoy dahil walang parokyano (ibibili na lang ng pagkain)after 3 months sarado na.

No wonder, the Fil-Chinese are the now the captain of industry in the country. kahit "dirty "at sakit ulo ang business nila (dami trabahador)risk-takers din..

pero hindi rin dami akong kilalang part ng SMEs na striving small manufacturers.no rocket science or R&D ang kailan. basic needs lang.simple technology. competing with imported products.

And they are earning.

Damn this inutile unimaginative treacherous government lalo na sa mga Pinoy na mamumuhunan.Kung inaalagan ba mga Pinoy investors e di hindi na lalabas ng Pinas ang mga ito.

80% of total industries/companies in the Philippines are SMEs. Dapat tulungan nila at hindi puro pangungurakot ang inaatupag.

yung mga EntrePinoy Program puro press release ala na man talagang tulong an gobyerno puro lip service.

Haay naku.....................

Pero, I salute the bravery of SMEs and local entrepreneurs who engage in manufacturing and production in the PHilippines....I hope more Pinoys will go into this very important sector of our economy.

And To hell to a service oriented economy. Kaga#*!$*&! yun!
    Last edited by jpdm; April 20th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    I agree. Don't wanna go into much detail kasi it's long and complicated pero bottom line is that it's easier AND more rewarding to go into importation/trading/service than to actually MAKE something here.

SA IYO SIGURO.

BUT NOT FOR THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE. Foreign exchange is brought outside the country. No real investment. it hurts local industries.
    KAYA NGA LUGMOK ANG PINAS SA UTANG AT TAXES

Pardon me. Sana ilan lang sa Pinoy ang katulad mo at kaunti lang yung nag-iisip nyan.

Pacensya na ha, I have to draw the line, kung multiply mo into millions ang mag-engage into just trading at importation, lalo na lang talaga tayong malulugmok SA HIRAP.
    Last edited by jpdm; April 20th, 2008 at 08:43 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    High-risk pala talaga ang Pinas. Parang lumalabas na mahirap umutang sa mga bangko para magtayo ng business dito? Am I correct?
    Hindi naman mahirap umutang sa bangko para magtayo ng business.

Actually they will be glad to lend u money. But not a lot of businessmen are borrowing to put up or expand factories.

Most loans made by local banks are real estate loans, car loans, consumer loans (credit card, salary loans).

Or loans to existing big businesses like telecom companies and mall developers...

-------------------------------

Tama ung post ni CVT. Napaka discouraging mag business dito.

eto na nga naglabas ka na ng malaking pera, nagtayo ka ng pabrika, nagbigay ka na ng trabaho sa madaming tao, tumutulong ka na nga sa economy, tapos papahirapan ka pa...

mula sa barangay level hanggang national govt, puro lagay at kotong ang mararanasan mo. Tingin kasi nila sayo walking wallet.

di lang yun. you will find out ninanakawan ka pala ng mga empleyado mo,

Tapos one day mababalitaan mo na-hijack ang truck mo na punong puno ng produkto na idedeliver mo sa iyong kliente...

Ano ipapaliwanag mo sa iyong kliente?! "Sorry, nawala ang truck ko." ????

No wonder madami mga kompanya sinara nalang nila ang mga pabrika nila dito.

Di kaya ng biogesic ang sakit sa ulo e.

OO I UNDERSTAND THE MACRO ECONOMIC IMPACT OF IMPORTS.

But as long as the damn govt wont do a damn thing about peace and order and corruption and all the concerns mentioned by CVT,

Businessmen will put their money where there is less headache.
    Last edited by uls; April 20th, 2008 at 01:56 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Industrialization,manufacturing and production is the only way to increase the job market for graduates every year.

On the other hand, the educational system must "re-educate" students to go into courses that match the available jobs.

For as to become industrialized, we need more engineering and technical/vocational courses graduates not nursing or business management students....

There are just exceptional schools offering engineering and technical courses in the country. UP, Mapua, La Salle, UST, Don Bosco just to name a few. kaya ayaw kong maniwala walang R&D dito. Sayang ang tuition sa La Salle(may sinag solar power car pa sila)o sa Ateneo.

Di pa kasama ang numerous inventors society dito at yung umbrella inventors group dito na very active.

YUng nga lang asan na naman ang Hudas na gobyerno natin ala....napapayaman lang mga inutil na mga technocrat at politiko natin.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    To become industrialized, yes, we need people who studied engineering and technical courses.

Sandali... we DO have a lot of engineering and technical course graduates.

Wala naman tayo shortage sa tao.

Wala tayo shortage sa talent, sa skill, the knowhow.

Magaling, madiskarte, matalino ang pinoy.

Guess what's missing?

Do i still have to point out the obvious?

Shortage natin is investment.

Investments para maging industrialized tayo.

Kulang tayo sa investments. Hindi pera OK? Hindi tayo kulang sa pera.

Maraming pera dito sa Pinas. Maraming pera ang mga bangko natin.

Maraming mayaman na pinoy.

E baket may shortage sa investment?

Kasi not many capitalists are willing to spend a ton of money on industrial development...

Which, if they did, would absorb the talented and skilled pinoys in the labor force.

----------------------

It's a sad situation...

there are lots of talented & skilled pinoys out there with a lot of ideas for new products...

But they dont have capital to turn their ideas into reality...

While on the other hand, there are lots of pinoys with a lot of money but for whatever reason, they do not or would not invest in the ideas of talented and skilled pinoys.
    Last edited by uls; April 20th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Industrialization,manufacturing and production is the only way to increase the job market for graduates every year.

On the other hand, the educational system must "re-educate" students to go into courses that match the available jobs.

For as to become industrialized, we need more engineering and technical/vocational courses graduates not nursing or business management students....

There are just exceptional schools offering engineering and technical courses in the country. UP, Mapua, La Salle, UST, Don Bosco just to name a few. kaya ayaw kong maniwala walang R&D dito. Sayang ang tuition sa La Salle(may sinag solar power car pa sila)o sa Ateneo.

Di pa kasama ang numerous inventors society dito at yung umbrella inventors group dito na very active.

YUng nga lang asan na naman ang Hudas na gobyerno natin ala....napapayaman lang mga inutil na mga technocrat at politiko natin.
    Sa R&D po kasi, kailangan talaga na maraming may Masteral or PhD trained professors. These guys would be the one guiding the researchers. If we try to compare our universities with other Universities, say Chulalongkorn in Thailand, napaka-behind natin. Nakakainggit dahil madami silang facilities, madami silang research advisers.

So yun nga, if we are going to manufacturing, we must be very prepared to go against the big boys. Only good R&D will make us competitive and yield very good profit.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post

And To hell to a service oriented economy. Kaga#*!$*&! yun!

Agree here bro., its like you have a good facade, even when the inside is rotting... No foundation nor basis for wealth generation, because most of the people have no jobs... We are not like the US, where IP and R&D are very strong that they can do without most of their manufacturing.... (I may be talking a bit too soon here, though.....)

As I was telling a few friends last week,- I hope it will not come to a point when we all have individual sari-sari stores and nobody's buying....

5808:bee:

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    It's a sad situation...

there are lots of talented & skilled pinoys out there with a lot of ideas for new products...

But they dont have capital to turn their ideas into reality...

While on the other hand, there are lots of pinoys with a lot of money but for whatever reason, they do not or would not invest in the ideas of talented and skilled pinoys.

Bro., - I agree with what you stated here and before this.....

The missing link is government intervention/investment. Look at our neighbors,- their government is funding R&D by partnering with multinationals and local investors.... When I say partnering,- it means providing the funds/ being partners, conducive environment (political stability, consistency of policies etc.), low cost of power, ready infrastructure, technological resource (people, engineers, scientists etc) et al.

With these, we are certain that technological knowledge is transferred to us. Sadly, this is not happening. Please do not tell me that I am blaming the government all the time, but this is definitely the competitive advantage of our neighbors.

For Filipino engineers and IT Professionals, for example, who have worked in that oh so glorious place called Singapore,- almost all would say that most of their engineers are not at par with the Filipino engineers. But why is their country more prosperous than ours???

It's sad, for us, who chose to slug it out here....

5808:bee:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    DADAMI NA NAMAN ANG WALANG TRABAHO....

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Intel Cavite plant closure sparks talk of RP pullout [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2](From ABS-CBN News OnLine)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]By Dennis Estopace
    BusinessMirror Reporter

Intel Philippines Inc., the country's largest semiconductor exporter, will close its factory in Cavite City, a company senior executive confirmed to the BusinessMirror.

"There's a ramp-down of a product, the manufacturing of which would be transferred to China," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

The executive said Intel was "given six months to leave the building."

The official added Intel would transfer the manufacturing of its central processing unit-a computer's brain-to its Shanghai, China, hub. The information bolsters speculation that the pullout might not be limited just to the Cavite plant.

In an official statement, however, the company said it wished to "reiterate that it has made no decisions on this matter [its Philippine operations] and is currently exploring multiple options." It said it had "updated" employees that "significant investments would be required to ensure the long-term viability of its factory building in Cavite," a statement seen as signaling a problematic situation in the Cavite plant.

The BusinessMirror source said, meanwhile, "There's still no announcement on what will happen to the employees."

Intel's 10-year-old factory employs about 3,000 workers.

"The typical process would be giving each of them a 'volatile' separation pay," the source said, explaining that this is a flexible compensation package.

"They couldn't be absorbed but some of them may be offered a stint in other countries where Intel operates," the source added.

Aside from China, Intel also has manufacturing operations in Malaysia and Vietnam.

The announcement to employees of the "ramp down" last week led to fears that the high-tech company would totally dismantle its 32-year-old operations in the Philippines.

Five years ago, Intel invested up to $100 million more to upgrade its Cavite chip-assembly plant, bringing its total investment in the Philippines to $1.3 billion. It is the country's largest exporter of microchips and semi-conductors.

The source told the BusinessMirror, however, "there's still no official talks about that [total pullout of Intel]."

"I sincerely hope it doesn't get to that stage," the source added.

An Intel study four years ago showed that the company's Philippine operations generated 0.3 percent of the country's gross domestic product.

Intel's General Trias, Cavite plant, its main hub, reportedly accounted for 22 percent of all of Cavite's exports in 2004. The plant's closure follows Intel's shut down of its Makati City center last year, purportedly to consolidate the company's assembly and test facility in Cavite.

The source added that high power costs and the weakening US market were some of the reasons cited for the "ramp down."

Intel Philippines country manager Ricardo Banaag couldn't be reached for comments. [/SIZE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This message may contain confidential and/or priv

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    mas madali ang buhay ng importer

wala ka gagawin kundi sumagot ng telepono para tumanggap ng order...

deliver tapos collection...

maghintay ng dating ng container van...

Ung mga kilala ko importer halos di na kelangan pumasok sa opisina... puro bilin lang sa sekretarya.

e kung may ari ka ng pabrika, whole day ang trabaho mo... hands on talaga...

Araw araw may problema...
    tama ito. I remember what Charlie Sheen's dad told him when his dad bailed him out from jail. there are only two kinds of people in the world: builders and opportunists

madami sa'tin builders, build the business from scratch purchase here purchase there innovate here innovate there and kaya lang ang daming vultures eh from govt. employees, to media, to mga opportunistang empleyado who hide in the protection of labor laws and human rights. pero magugulat ka, pati taxi ino-overchange ang pang reimburse. mga representation expenses kinokolekta mga naiwang resibo sa restaurant at sobrang dami pang iba, pati time-in time-out finafalsify.

i too started as dreamer/builder businessman, but the realities that I have experienced with my life made me change the way I look at the world. kung tuso kayo, mas tuso ako , yan ang dapat na i-adopt na thinking. this is a world of survival or about survival.

who cares about ideologies and idealisms dapat ganito dapat ganyan, eh di ikaw ang mangapital kung gusto mo. subukan mo sigurado wala pa isang taon ubos ang capital mo

natatawa nga ako sa interview sa TV kamakailan lang about this govt. agency: laguna development authority or whatever, they had 1.5B budget per year from the govt. to preserve and to protect and to rehabilitate Laguna Bay and pasig River.

when asked by the reporter yun isang exec nila, ano na nangyari dun sa 1.5B budget nyo bakit para wala nangyari sa Laguna bay and pasig river. ang tanga ng sagot ng exec, syempre napunta daw sa suweldo, benefits and expenses ng mga empleyado ng Laguna Development Authority and they have like more than 3000 employed personnel . and he adds, kulang pa as in kulang pa ang 1.5B budget tsk tsk tsk what a waste. imagine hiring 3000 people to watch Laguna bay pero speed boat ata 2-3 lang meron sila

the problem with the Philippines is we have too many people. almost every idea, every dream companies or organization na na-setup na-deplete ng tao na nagtatrabaho dun. kung minsan nakakalimutan na nga kung ano talaga role ng org/company eh, pero yun benefits/salaries tuloy pa din.
    Last edited by ringostarr; April 21st, 2008 at 04:34 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
"De-skilling" of college graduates