New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Coming from ABS-CBN, where the news readers show off their flashy gadgets in front of them. Hard to resist...

abs-cbnNEWS.com
    08/05/2011

MANILA, Philippines - A critic of the Aquino government on Friday likened Secretary Ricky Carandang of the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office (PCDSPO) to Imelda Marcos for buying expensive laptops worth P67,000 each.

Fernando Hicap, chairman of the Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya), said that instead of buying Apple laptops worth P67,000 each, Carandang should just buy other brands of laptops worth P20,000 to P30,000 per unit.

"If Mr. Carandang only checked the internet, there are a lot of brands of laptops which his office could buy between P20,000 to P30,000 per unit. P20,000 is 200% cheaper compared to P67,000. A P30,000 laptop is more than 100% cheaper compared to P 67,000 laptop. Is Mr. Carandang the newest Imelda Marcos in Malacanang?" the Pamalakaya leader lamented.

Hicap said the government could have saved as much as P880,000 to P1.2 million if it had purchased laptops worth P30,000 each.

He blamed President Benigno Simeon Aquino III for tolerating "this bizarre and blatant display of extreme extravagance" and said Carandang and his staff at PCDSPO should just use their own money if they want to buy expensive laptops.

The controversial procurement of 24 units of Apple laptops recently sparked a word war between Carandang and Zambales Rep. Mitos Magsaysay. The congresswoman alleged that Carandang had pressured a colleague to sign for the purchase of overpriced laptop computers for the Palace communications group without the mandatory bidding.

Carandang, however, said Magsaysay should apologize for falsely accusing his department of corruption in procuring computers, based on allegations of a former director of the department who had resigned.

He said the government was able to save money by procuring from a supplier 24 units of Apple MacBooks of varying specs worth P1,671,480.00, averaging P66,000 to P67,000 each when the market price for each unit costs more. Another supplier quoted a total price of P1,884,800.00.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hinde naman mahal pag bumili ka ng status symbol...goes nicely with IPads and IPhones...

Ricky Carandang seeks apology from Mitos Magsaysay after laptop row | Sun.Star

PRESIDENTIAL Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office (PCDSPO) Secretary Ramon Carandang is asking for an apology from Zambales Representative Mitos Magsaysay, insisting that no anomaly was involved in the procurement of laptops by his office.

"Maybe in the spirit of fairness, maybe if she apologizes, then I think we can end this non-issue," Carandang said.

Several top officials of the communications group on Thursday ganged up against Magsaysay over Twitter for allegedly making an issue on the procurement of P1.6 million worth of laptops by the PCDSPO.

Carandang maintained that there procurement process was "aboveboard" and the laptops were not overpriced.

"There were two failed biddings. Pagkatapos 'non pumasok kami sa negotiated sale. P1.6 million pesos for 24 Apple computers na laptop averages about P66,000-P67,000 per unit. 'Pag pumunta po kayo doon sa supplier at bumili kayo ng tingi-tingi, makikita n'yo na it's actually much more expensive than that, ano. 'Yung pinakamura na mabibili n'yo ngayon sa tindahan is P75,000. So we actually saved money during the procurement process at aboveboard po, sumunod tayo sa lahat ng proseso. So there's no overpricing at all," he said.

He added that even President Benigno Aquino III was aware about the procurement and saw nothing wrong with it.

He stressed that Magsaysay was just "electrocuted" by the information that was fed to her.

"Well, politics. Ganyan talaga ang pulitika you deal with the blows, ano, so we're dealing with the blows. Pero I want to assure everyone na hindi natin ginagawa 'yung mga maling paraan. We have all the documents to prove na tama 'yung prosesong sinunod natin," he said.

Carandang furnished the media with copies of the two failed notices of bidding published in newspapers.

Asked why they chose to buy expensive laptops than cheaper ones, he said "Mac laptops are not prone to virus. And they are easier to use."

Carandang also has no plans to talk to his assistant secretary Reginald Tongol, who resigned after the issue received media attention.

Tongol headed the bids and awards committee that called for the bids for the purchase of computers.

"There's no point in talking to him kasi 'yung mga sinasabi niya hindi naman totoo, binabaligtad lang, tapos fini-feed doon kina Congresswoman Magsaysay. So wala ring point to talk to him," the Palace official said.

In a separate interview with deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte, she said Tongol's father is a close friend of Magsaysay.

She described Tongol as a "disgruntled employee" who was "very inefficient" in doing his job.

"Obviously, he's a disgruntled employee because he has been called out for inefficiency more times than I can actually count, not just by myself but also Secretary Carandang, Secretary Edwin Lacierda, and Undersecretary Manolo Quezon. Obviously, disgruntled po itong tao na ito. I think hindi po admin ang gusto niyang trabaho in the first place. I suppose he wanted something more he was given. But given the fact that he was not performing properly doon sa mga tasks po na ibinibigay sa kanya, I guess he was being vindictive because he went to the opposition to say his piece. He could have talked to us," she said.

Carandang admitted that he took Tongol aside and told him to "look for another job" if he failed to shape up.

Tongol have submitted his resignation letter to the President.

Valte said the PCDSPO has no plans to file a case against Tongol noting they are "not vindictive." (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    dapat daw MSI, pero ayaw daw ni Carandang ng MSI, kahit super cheap ang price nyan.

may meaning daw kasi yan.....Malacanang Sucks, Inefficient.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While 66k is cheap for an iMac, it's kind of excessive for a laptop for mixed use, unless they're all going to be used for preparing slideshow/video presentations.

I dunno... this one could go either way... I'm an avid user of graphics editing programs on the PC, but I'll admit that there are some things (especially if we're talking corporate communications and presentations) that are better accomplished on a Mac. They're faster, less prone to weird software issues, and generally better, price-for-price than PC-based laptops. If they're going to be used for heavy workloads, I'd agree... get the Macs.

If they're for secretarial or simple interdepartmental communications... text documents and simple non-professional slideshows... then by all means, get a less expensive unit.

It's hard to judge this case without knowing all the facts. Knowing that Carandag comes from the media, I'm not surprised that he wants iMacs. Most media production companies use nothing else. Because there is no substitute.

And that's coming from a PC user. For MassCom use at the school, we order iMacs, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think wala namang masama kung 67k na laptop ang kinuha, ang masama eh kung nag overprice pa na kunwari eh binili ang isa worth 167k... dyan siguro pwede umusok ang ilong nating lahat.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    imbestigahan dapat ng senate yan. tsaka congress. gawing priority 1. isantabi muna yung issue ng kape, helicopter, energy drink, at yung pag lipad ni taba papuntang hongkong. napakalaking issue to! imagine 1M!!!

hay...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hey opportunity yan to buy Apple stuff without using your own money no?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    While 66k is cheap for an iMac, it's kind of excessive for a laptop for mixed use, unless they're all going to be used for preparing slideshow/video presentations.

I dunno... this one could go either way... I'm an avid user of graphics editing programs on the PC, but I'll admit that there are some things (especially if we're talking corporate communications and presentations) that are better accomplished on a Mac. They're faster, less prone to weird software issues, and generally better, price-for-price than PC-based laptops. If they're going to be used for heavy workloads, I'd agree... get the Macs.

If they're for secretarial or simple interdepartmental communications... text documents and simple non-professional slideshows... then by all means, get a less expensive unit.

It's hard to judge this case without knowing all the facts. Knowing that Carandag comes from the media, I'm not surprised that he wants iMacs. Most media production companies use nothing else. Because there is no substitute.

And that's coming from a PC user. For MassCom use at the school, we order iMacs, too.

While I have nothing against the Mac... and in fact like to use it over PCs on certain situations, this act of Carandang could easily spill over into other government agencies who'll also demand to get hold of a laptop that is "not prone to virus infection and is easier to use."

If the Malacañang Communications group has a couple of staff tasked produce videos and presentations, then get Macs for those guys, but do consider using the less expensive PCs for the others. Word Processing, email, a few presentations, some spreadsheet, working on some web apps... all easily done on a PC laptop at a third of the price.

Governments around the world are trying to cut costs by using commodity hardware (read: cheap netbooks and PC-based laptops) and open source software, but Malacañang (at least the comm group) is sending a vastly different message by doing this.

Does not compute.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    diba normal lang naman they live off the taxpayers when they're in power?

libre lahat. libre sasakyan, libre gas, libre pagkain. libre laptop. libre security/alalay. libre trips abroad with pocket money pa...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Remember, P4,600,000,000,000.00 ang UTANG ng Pilipinas.

We borrow P1,000,000,000.00 every 2 days to plug the Deficit.

40 Centavos out of every Peso Taxes goes to Debt-Servicing.

Anong walang masama sa pagbili ng Apple Macs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Carandang dubbed the 'next Imelda' over laptop deal