New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Weren't South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Singapore all part of the British empire at one time? Even the US was part of His Majesty's British empire until the colonists revolted and kicked the redcoats out. In fact, the US was considered backward (Third-Worldish) until the end of the 19th century when she acquired colonies of her own.

Israel too was a British protectorate until 1948. Korea was held by the Japanese from the Russo-Japanese War until the end of WW2.

I guess there are perks to being a US colony. Both Guam and Puerto Rico have shown no desire to be independent.
    Fair enough, let me then rephrase it as former "Spanish colonies"

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Mahililig kasi sa "talangka" ang karamihan sa Pinoy.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Malakas din kasi sa atin yung "pakikisama" sa kahit sa masamang bagay, nagpapadala pa rin tayo. Siguro, kasama na rin yung ating "bahala na" attitude at talangka mentality. Yung mga pinoy na nasa ibang bansa, walang social pressure na mag-conform sa kinaugalian na. Hataw lang sa trabaho kaya umaasenso.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Kulang sa sense of responsibilty.
    Uunahin munang sisihin ang ibang tao bago isipin kung nagkamali ang sarili - punu't dulo ng saradong pag-i-isip. Bakit kaya? Siguro dahil nasanay tayo sa kanya-kanya. Iba yung kapit-bahay ko, iba rin ako, mas tama ang paniniwala ko.

Other factors, the country as an archipelago, diverse culture, and religion (diverse beliefs, principles, norms).

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Fair enough, let me then rephrase it as former "Spanish colonies"
    I was merely pointing out that there are former colonies that prospered. But, your view's still valid. There are many former colonies that languished after becoming independent.

You've probably noticed it too. But, just about every former colony where the Europeans stayed have prospered: the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Israel, maybe South Africa.

The list of former colonies that prospered without a sizable Anglo population is pretty small: Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia maybe.....

The rest in Southeast Asia, Africa, and South America are a mixed bag of developing countries (including the Philippines) and those in utter poverty.

I'm not sure why the lack of progress. If I knew the answer, I'd be a consultant and I'd be rich. But, I don't. So I can only suggest that internal wars, over-population, corruption, and lack of national unity are some of the bigger causes.

Common sense says to apply scientific methods of analyzing and fixing the problems one at a time. But, there's bound to be political, religious, and social repercussions. Fixing the problems in the Philippines may involve drastic measures such as restraining the Catholic Church and taking them out of politics altogether. Or, a rule similar to China's no more than 2 kids per household policy. It'll take someone with an iron fist to implement such measures and it may get really ugly before progress is made.

Just thinking about it is enough to give me a headache.....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    1. Apathy
    2. Apathy
    3. Apathy
    4. Too busy watching TV shows and garbage telenovelas.
    "hate is not the opposite of love. it's apathy"
    ~Planetes

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Overpopulation – it’s time to consider 2 child policy before it’s too late. Roman Catholic’s advice is ridiculous. It's so obsolete to follow. Bakit sa Vatican at Italy hindi dumadami ang population? Pero ang abuloy doon ang unang punta?:pope:

And also ang mahihirap ang kailangan ng mga balasubas na politiko dito…mag-alaga ka lang ng mga squatter lamang ka na sa eleksyon.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    I've always seen the country as being ruled by corruption. Look at the history - Spain imparted the hacienda mentality on us a long time ago, and now the government, in its own way, is also corrupting our minds and not just the money.

Just my thoughts.

Sir what do you mean by "Hacienda mentality"

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    I think it has something to do with how the people high up in the bureaucracy get everything and everyone else has to live with their scraps. Kinda like 90-10 rule; 90% of the wealth is with 10% of the population (Sometimes they even say 99-1). Maybe someone else can expound on this...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    I think he means the tenants, farmhands, mga sakada, manggagawa o magsasaka nakaasa sa goodwill ng landowner/haciendero/panginoong maylupa....

In the middle ages (age of knights and kingdoms circa before age of enlightenment), serf at lord, master and servant mentality during the height of manor land ownership system.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Bakit mAHIRAP ANG pINAS