New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Argentine Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has been elected the Roman Catholic Church's new Pope.

The first Latin American to be Pope, he will call himself Francis I.

An hour earlier, white smoke billowing from the Sistine Chapel chimney announced to the world that cardinals gathered inside had made their choice.

Cardinal Bergoglio replaces Benedict XVI, who resigned last month saying he was not strong enough to lead the Church.

The 115 cardinals have been in isolation since Tuesday afternoon, and held four inconclusive votes.

At least 77 of them, or two-thirds, would have had to vote for a single candidate for him to be elected Pope.

Before the conclave began, there was no clear frontrunner to replace Benedict.

Crowds with umbrellas massed in the square flying flags from around the world.

The Catholic News Agency said people were running through the streets of Rome, hoping to reach St Peter's Square in time for the appearance of the new Pope.

A troupe of Swiss Guards in silver helmets and full regalia marched to the Basilica in preparation for the announcement, as military bands played for the onlookers.

The new Pope will emerge from the loggia overlooking the square to deliver his first speech.

He will have already accepted an invitation to become Pope and the cardinals will have sworn allegiance to him, after which he will have gone to pray alone.
    BBC News - Argentina's Jorge Mario Bergoglio elected Pope

I have to admit that I had a little hope it would be Cardinal Tagle to come out of the balcony. My friend and I were hoping that the new Pope will come from a country with a large Catholic population so I'm happy with the new Pope.

He's also the first Jesuit pope.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; March 14th, 2013 at 04:47 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Latin america has the largest Catholic population. 41 %. The church has lost a lot of influence in Europe and needs to look in Africa and Latin America to spread it's doctrines. Hope the new Pope would come to visit here someday, unlike the last one.
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 14th, 2013 at 07:33 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hindi nanalo si Cardinal Tagle?

Kasalanan ni PNoy!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post

I have to admit that I had a little hope it would be Cardinal Tagle to come out of the balcony. My friend and I were hoping that the new Pope will come from a country with a large Catholic population so I'm happy with the new Pope.

He's also the first Jesuit pope.
    The whole Andrean community is also hoping for that, too. However, we all understand that it is going to be a half-court shot....

Viva il Papa Francis I !!!

Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG) !!!

18.5K:mail:
    Last edited by CVT; March 14th, 2013 at 08:20 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Lalakas ang Jesuit influence nito

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Masaya ngayon mga taga-Ateneo Hope the SUV-loving bishops will follow his example...

Sixteen facts about Pope Francis 1 - Premium Times Nigeria

Below are 16 facts about the new pope.
    1. His real name is Jorge Mario Bergoglio
    2. He is 76-years-old
    3. He is an Argentinean
    4. He is the first Jesuit priest to become Pope
    5. He is the first Latin American to become Pope
    6. He was the runner-up during the last conclave that elected Pope
    Emeritus Benedict XVI
    7. He is a conservative known for his strong anti-gay stance. In 2010 he described homo***uality as a “destructive attack on God’s plan.” He was a fierce opponent of Argentina’s decision to legalise gay marriage in 2010, arguing children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother.
    8. Though conservative, he has criticised priests who refuse to baptize babies born to single mothers
    9. He also believes condom can be permissible to prevent disease
    10. He is well known for his austere outlook to life. He cooks his own meals. He is famed for taking a bus to work every day in his native Argentina, giving up his driver and official limousine
    11. His austere outlook towards life explains his choice of Francis as his papal name. Francis Assisi, who he is named after, is a popular Catholic saint who lived humbly and gave possession away to the poor
    12. When he was made a cardinal, he persuaded hundreds of Argentineans not to fly to Rome to celebrate with him but instead to give the money they would have spent on plane tickets to the poor
    13. In 2001, during a visit to a hospice, he washed and kissed the feet of 12 AIDS patients
    14. He is respected for his intellectual prowess
    15. He is an anti-corruption crusader. He has also accused Argentina’s government of not doing enough to eradicate poverty
    16. He has lived for more than 20 years with one functioning lung. His other lung was removed because of infection.
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 14th, 2013 at 08:21 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    Hindi nanalo si Cardinal Tagle?

Kasalanan ni PNoy!
    Mag-file na ba si Binay ng protest?

Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    Lalakas ang Jesuit influence nito

LOL, even the Jesuits were shocked.

Not bad for an order that was shut out by the Catholic Church back in the middle ages.

Cheers to the new Pope. Although he is already quite aged as well, we do hope to see an visit to the Philippines once again (JP II visited us twice right?).

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

18.5K:mail:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Jesuit eh? Naku magyayabang na naman mga Atenista :D

His dad is an Italian immigrant. So i don't know if he's really the first non-European pope, strictly speaking. Anyways, he grew up in Argentina, and he should be more in tune with 3rd world problems.

i really thought they were gonna pick somebody younger; afaik Pope Benedict was also in his mid-70s when he became Pope. Then again, this guys seems to be the old school type, very frugal, independent with his own needs. People like that tend to be stronger.

If adopting a saint's name has any bearing on how he plans to perform as Pope... Franciscan monks tend to take the vow of poverty very seriously, it would be interesting to see how this goes.

Ewan ko lang ha, i've never been the religious type...but i am happy we have a new Pope ;)

Slightly OT: did anyone see the seagull on the chimney? Good thing it didn't poop or something, that would be scandalous :p
    Last edited by badkuk; March 14th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dapat over-all champion sa next UAAP ateneo

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast