New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    By Michael Lim Ubac, Norman Bordadora
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    1:17 am | Friday, March 14th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines—A key political ally of President Aquino on Thursday blamed him and Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla for the country’s power supply woes, calling both officials “awful managers.”

Sen. Sergio Osmeña, chair of the Senate committee on energy, also said the decision of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) to void the huge rate increase that Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) imposed after the power shortage in late 2013 was “good politics but bad economics.”

“If we do this again, the investors [who will put up the power plants] will not believe us again anymore. We’re going to have real shortages decades ahead,” Osmeña said.

He said he advised the President to fire Petilla as early as two months ago but that Aquino didn’t heed his counsel.
    Osmeña said that while the energy secretary was an able executive, his mind was divided between doing his job and pursuing his political agenda.

“I told the President to fire him [Petilla] two months ago. Because he is not focused,” the senator told reporters.
    Asked what the President’s response was, Osmeña said: “Well, first he called a meeting. Then he made me ‘indyan’ [failing to show up at an appointment]. Nothing happened.”

“That’s all right. The thing is, that’s the way he solves things. He would stay with the people he appointed,” said Osmeña, one of the political strategists behind Aquino in the 2010 presidential election.

“You know, like I said, managing is not an easy profession. And he is a very poor manager, we know that. He is a good man, he is an honest man, but he is an awful manager,” he added.

Keeping Petilla

Malacañang is not about to let go of Petilla.

“We respect the views of Senator Osmeña,” President Aquino’s spokesman Herminio Coloma said when asked about his thoughts on Osmeña’s claim that Aquino and Petilla were both good, honest men but “awful managers.”

Coloma denied that the President was even considering firing Petilla.

“The President is entitled to decide on the members of his Cabinet,” he said.

Coloma belied insinuations that the administration was helpless in dealing with the issues and problems besetting the energy sector.

Besides the power rate hike that has been stopped by the high court, the executive branch has yet to resolve the power crisis in Mindanao and speed up the snail-paced restoration of power in disaster areas.

Hard-headed

Osmeña said President Aquino’s hard-headedness might cost him political capital when it was time to endorse his successor in the 2016 elections.

“He will lose his endorsement, much of his endorsement value in 2016,” the senator said.

Pressed who between Aquino and Petilla was an awful manager, Osmeña said “both of them.”

“We would not be having this type of problems now if they were good managers. We really would not. I don’t intervene with them. I never called up the energy secretary, I never asked for favors,” he said.

No planning

Osmeña said there was no planning on the part of the Department of Energy (DOE) when the power shortages in Luzon started on Nov. 11, 2013.

“Let’s forget that he did not do much to prevent the situation from happening, because you cannot say, ‘all this happened all of a sudden.’ You knew three years ago that Malampaya is down for maintenance,” Osmeña said.

He said if he were Petilla he would have told the government-owned Malaya power plant to make an offer on the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market and make available its 600 megawatts of power.

“Nothing like that happened. Why? Super Typhoon Yolanda hit on Nov. 8 and it hit his province,” Osmeña said.

As for Aquino, Osmeña indicated the President should sometimes accept that he had made a mistake.

“I just hope that … sometimes, you know, when you’re willing to accept that you made a mistake, it’s easier to correct it. I am not saying that the corrections we’ll make will be ideal, but first, you accept that you made a mistake. Then, ‘yes, we will make corrections,’” Osmeña said.

“Right now, there’s not much that is being done,” he added.

Coloma said Malacañang understood the viewpoint of some members of the legislature.

“Their main function is to prepare remedial legislation or to initiate legislation that will address problem situations like the energy crisis that, as you rightly pointed out, as early as the middle of 2012 were already addressed in the Mindanao Power Summit, and the President was quite forthright in making the stand of the government known,” Coloma said.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/585411/...#ixzz2vu6XYJrW
    Follow us: *inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Sour graping?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    totoo naman eh.
    look what happened to Leyte. hanggang ngayon ganun pa din.
    look at what happened to Mindanao's power supply.
    look at what is happening to the increasing power rates.
    look at the rising rates of unemployment.
    look how china is bullying us.
    the government is claiming a rise in GDP and GNP. pero the rich is still getting richer, and the poor is still getting poorer. although i understand na hindi naman ganung kabilis ang cascading effect neto.

bottomline, he may be clean.... but people and the country need results and changes.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robot.sonic View Post
    Sour graping?
    not sure how his own political ally criticizing him would qualify as sour graping
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Serg, he is the president, not the manager.

You will have your own time to shine, sooner or later.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    "If the boss cannot see & fix the problem, it's because he is part of the problem"

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003

Nag-sosorry naman...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    pero still sya lang ang best president na binoto ng tao
    kahit walang nagawa pero wala din nakurakot, :hysterical:
    pag si binay pinanalo nyo. ano kaya masasabi nyo

9. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NiCe2KnowU View Post
    Sigurado lahat ng government agencies magkakaroon ng courtesy lane at take note,lahat may libreng payong

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NiCe2KnowU View Post
    best president - walang ginawa ? Reminds me of last night's Bubble Gang exactly this examples is Oxymoron.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast