New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Pwede ba ito? Sabi ni Chiz sa ANC...kahit daw sa Brgy Capt lang mag take oath si Noy, pwede......

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...stice-for-oath

Aquino plans Corona snub, seeks another justice for oath

MANILA, Philippines—Malacañang Thursday said that despite his strong objections, presidential front-runner Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III would have to recognize the appointment of Supreme Court Associate Justice Renato Corona as Chief Justice.

But in a text message to reporters, Aquino said he was planning to snub Ms Arroyo’s choice of Chief Justice. “Yes, I am researching it now,” he said in response to the question of whether he was considering being sworn into office by another justice of the high court. Unless he breaks with tradition, the one most likely to succeed President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo will take his oath on June 30 before the Chief Justice, who happens to be Corona, Secretary Ricardo Saludo, Ms Arroyo’s spokesperson, said at a briefing.

“Bear in mind that the person mandated by the Constitution to administer the oath to an elected president is the Chief Justice,” Saludo said. “There are certain rules you have to follow. You may not like the person swearing you in, but you have to do it,” he said.

The Palace announced on Wednesday that Ms Arroyo had chosen Corona to succeed Chief Justice Reynato Puno when the latter retires on Monday. The announcement was greeted by strident criticism.

Aquino, who had earlier said he would not recognize Ms Arroyo’s appointed Chief Justice, called on her to reconsider her move. He also said Ms Arroyo should recognize the next administration’s right to appoint Puno’s successor.

Nice gesture but ...

Saludo said he expected Aquino to recognize Corona’s appointment which, he pointed out, was cleared by the Supreme Court’s March 17 ruling authorizing Ms Arroyo to appoint Puno’s successor. Otherwise, Saludo said, Aquino might be accused of violating the Constitution.

“Whoever is proclaimed president, I’m sure, will follow the Constitution. Otherwise, a violation of the Constitution, to quote the lawyers, is an impeachable offense,” Saludo said.

Christian Monsod, a constitutional expert and former chair of the Commission on Elections, said elected presidents traditionally took their oath before the Chief Justice, but that this was not required by the Constitution. He said it would be a good gesture if Aquino asked Corona to swear him in. “My guess is, he will be gracious enough. It will be nice. If he does that, it will be a graceful transfer of power. It will be a good start,” Monsod said by phone.

Asked for comment, lawyer Raul Lambino, a losing senatorial candidate of the administration, said a president could be sworn in by even a barangay captain or a notary public.

Not a ‘casus belli’

Saludo said that contrary to a claim by Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr., Ms Arroyo’s appointment of Corona was not a reason for the incoming administration to declare war. Reacting to fresh calls that Ms Arroyo leave the appointment of a Chief Justice to Aquino, Saludo said: “Compliance with the Constitution doesn’t require courtesy. It means following the law even if some people may not take well to it.” Saludo reminded critics that the high court had already ruled on the issue of whether Ms Arroyo could appoint Puno’s successor, and that the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) had completed its screening of the nominees.

“We may be belaboring this a bit too much... This thing has been settled. Let’s move on to things that still need our attention—the transition, the preparation for the new government coming in,” he said.

‘He should accept post’

According to Supreme Court spokesperson Midas Marquez, Corona has no reason not to accept the post despite Aquino’s earlier warning that he would not recognize Ms Arroyo’s “midnight appointments.”

“I don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t [accept the appointment]. I would like to think he will accept the position,” Marquez said, adding that Corona, or any of the three other justices nominated for the post by the JBC, had recognized its selection process and submitted to its public interview of the nominees.

“They went to the interview and manifested they were honored to be in the short list. They recognized the decision of the Supreme Court,” he said, referring to the high court’s 9-1 ruling on March 17 authorizing Ms Arroyo to appoint a new Chief Justice during the period of the constitutional ban against appointments that started on March 10.

On Aquino’s warning that he would undo Ms Arroyo’s midnight appointments, Marquez insisted that “the Supreme Court has spoken,” and that Ms Arroyo’s decision to appoint the next Chief Justice was constitutional. The 62-year-old Corona is a former chief of staff and spokesperson of Ms Arroyo. Since he will head the judiciary for the next eight years—outliving the next president’s six-year term—his appointment is being seen as part of Ms Arroyo’s maneuver to shield herself from any prosecution for wrongdoing during her administration.
    Last edited by chua_riwap; May 14th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Aquino is so allergic to Arroyo's people!

How can we move on if our President-elect is such a douche!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kotiko View Post

How can we move on when every key government position is filled with someone under the thumb of Arroyo?

Personally I support Aquino if he snubs Corona at the oath taking. It will be a symbol that Aquino will not stand for Arroyo's government power ploy games.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009

Indeed. Im no lawyer but I think the person who can administer the oath taking for the President is the Chief Justice.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Who isnt? Unless you're one of those who profited handsomely from her stay in Malacanang...

Even if the appointment was indeed a legal one, its more of a question of propriety or delicadeza which this admin lacked sorely.
    Last edited by vinj; May 14th, 2010 at 06:57 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispco View Post
    Indeed. Im no lawyer but I think the person who can administer the oath taking for the President is the Chief Justice.
    But since you do admit that you are no lawyer, your statement is just an opinion.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    abnoy allergy sa pandak...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sabi ni Atty. Marquez, spokesman ng SC....kahit naman sino pala pwede. It's his (Noynoy's) own choice daw. Pero naging tradition na raw yung CJ ang nagsi-sworn in sa incoming Pres.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    if the law permits that its the choice of the president elect, then tama lang na wag na chief justice. arroyo have been putting people that are close to her in power to her benefit (im assuming).

does noynoy have the power to take out the CJ? if so, mas dapat hindi yun magperform ng oath taking.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    but if i were nonoy, i'll proceed with having CJ Corona. yaan mo ng kabila ang walang delicadeza kesa naman pumatol sa walang delicadeza. baka masabibahan pang magnanakaw galit sa kapwa magnanakaw. i'll go with with Monsod's suggestion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Aquino plans Corona snub on oath taking