Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    All 12 Senate winners are ‘criminals’ -- Senator Santiago

May 10, 2007
    Updated 22:32:26 (Mla time)
    Gil C. Cabacungan Jr.
    Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines -- Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago is seriously considering quitting the Senate, saying she cannot stomach serving with 12 new senators who literally bought their way into winning a farce of an election that has become “a battle of billionaires.”

“By July 22 when the 14th Congress opens, I will have at least 12 colleagues in the Senate who all have bought their position. I don’t belong in that league, I don’t have enough money,” said Santiago in a phone interview.

Santiago’s rant followed on senatorial candidate Victor Wood’s complaint against the commercialization of the elections that has favored popular and moneyed candidates.

Wood said the only clear winners in this year’s elections were the giant broadcast networks, the GMA Network and ABS CBN Broadcasting, which have been raking it in from candidates’ ad spending.

“The people with the most money will win. That is why I am thinking of resigning and registering a protest against farcical elections like this one we’re having. It has turned into a contest among billionaires. There is no ideology, no theory, no policy. I don’t see any policy discussion taking place, all personality,” Santiago said.

She said the candidates have focused their spending on three areas that would require hundreds of millions of pesos -- political advertisements on television and radio; bribing mayors to include them on the sample ballots; and paying off a supposed syndicate in the Commission on Elections to either protect or pad their votes or reduce a rival’s votes.

“If this is the case, definitely not one among the new candidates by July would have remained within the spending limits imposed by law. He has started his career in the Senate as a criminal by breaking the election law,”’ said Santiago.

Since the bribery of local officials and the Comelec syndicate would be hard to prove, Santiago said the massive spending on TV ads alone should justify the “declaration of failure of elections.”

She is thinking of resigning because she does not believe anything will come out of her railing against the practice.

“My own colleagues will simply cross-examine and show me up. I will be challenged to put up hard evidence but the method of proof here is different from a court of law. There is no need for physical or testimonial evidence, only rational evidence is necessary,” Santiago said.

Santiago also vented her ire at GMA and ABS CBN for “bastardizing the electoral process and actively contributing to the mercenary process of turning elections into a public auction.”

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Na-praning na naman si Miriam!

Sige na, mag-resign ka na........tagal!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    inggit lang yan dahil hinde siya reelectionist, kaya wala siyang exposure...ang tagal naman mag resign...eh diba sabi nga niya dati yun nag suicide anak niya di na siya babalik sa politics, saka yun meron siyang sinabi na tatalon siya ng airplane..sus si brenda talaga oh...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Look who's talking?

Resign na,...- Ang tagal!

2701:bye:

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Dakdak ng dakdak gawin na lang niya kung kaya niya.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Consequence lang talaga ng Democracy. It's really a popularity contest. True naman yun conclusion tuwing may election kahit saan.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    "I LIED." would be her next statement!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    she has a point though.

You either need a truckload of money or a movie career to seriously have chances winning in the elections.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    "I LIED." would be her next statement!
    bro, incomplete 'to... may kasunod yan na :

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ala eh sino ba yang 12 na yan?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast