The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Headlines
    FG foe gets Blue Ribbon
    By Christina Mendez
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano, whose stint as congressman was marked by his vociferous criticism of First Gentleman Jose Miguel Arroyo, was named chairman yesterday of the powerful Senate Blue Ribbon committee.

Cayetano got the coveted post despite objections from pro-administration senators who had asked Senate President Manuel Villar to appoint one who is “non-confrontational.” Cayetano also took the chairmanship of the education committee.

“Unity is important not just for the majority or the minority groups but for the entire Senate. I hope the talks of reunification will now be the start of a working and united Senate, all together in looking after the needs of our people,” Villar said after announcing Cayetano’s appointment.

With the development, all 36 Senate committees, except on ethics, are already filled. The ethics committee chairmanship was also vacant in the previous Congress. All minority senators, except for Sen. Panfilo Lacson, got their respective committee chairmanships.

Malacañang was unfazed by Cayetano’s appointment. “We presume that all senators will exercise their duty, whatever party they belong to, and abide by the usual parliamentary rules as well as the national interest in whatever matter they will take up,” Cabinet Secretary Ricardo Saludo said.

“We go by the belief that senators will act as representatives of the people and the people expect the same,” Saludo said.

Cayetano told The STAR that he is determined to complete the investigation of the Jose Pidal case, which involves alleged secret bank accounts of Mr. Arroyo and then Vice President Gloria Arroyo.

Cayetano has also been vocal on the failure of former Blue Ribbon chairman Joker Arroyo to come out with a resolution on the Jose Pidal case.

“We have to review the evidence but we have to be fair on both sides, and evaluate evidence,” he said.

On the possible re-investigation of the fertilizer scam under former agriculture undersecretary Jocelyn Bolante, Cayetano said he will have to consult with the chairman of the Senate committee on Agriculture and Food if he wants to re-open the case.

“Well, on the Joc-joc Bolante case, I have to check it first with the proponents and the chair of the Committee on Agriculture if they want to re-open it or not. If not, I will not have second thoughts of taking it up,” Cayetano said.

As chairman, Cayetano said he has to weigh the evidence on the issues. But Cayetano said he is keen not only on conducting inquiries, but also on reviewing the roles of other institutions like the Ombudsman and the Prosecutors Office.

“I thank God, and Sen. Villar for thinking about the institution first, (giving me the post) with no strings attached and no restrictions,” Cayetano said.

Asked to comment on Cayetano’s appointment, Joker said: “Good luck.”

Senate Majority Leader Francis Pangilinan gets the Committee on Accounts while Senate president pro-tempore Jinggoy Estrada gets labor, employment and human resource development; and the oversight committee on labor and employment.

Sen. Miriam Defensor Santiago retained her post as chairperson of the committees on foreign relations and energy. She also remains chair of the oversight committee on the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA).

Sen. Lito Lapid retained games, amusement, and sports while Ramon Revilla Jr. remains chairman of the committees on public works, and public information. Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile will get the Committee on Finance, which was formerly headed by ex-senator Franklin Drilon.

Enrile, a veteran lawmaker, was also designated as chair of the oversight on the official development assistance on law.

Sen. Gregorio Honasan gets the committee on public order while Sen. Edgardo Angara gets the committees on Agriculture and Food; Banks, Financial Institutions and Currencies; Science and Technology as well as the oversight committees on Agricultural and Fisheries Modernization and the oversight on Anti- Money Laundering.

Sen. Richard Gordon retains his chairmanship of Constitutional Amendments, Revisions of Codes and Laws and the Government Corporations and Public Enterprises and Tourism. He also gets the oversight committee on overseas voting and the oversight on government procurement act.

Pia Cayetano gets to retain her chairmanship over Environment and Natural Resources, and Health as well as the oversight committees on clean air act, clean water act, solid waste management act.

RSS

Hmm, ano naman kaya mangyayari sa Senado nito, for sure.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I agree that an opposition should handle this committee but I was expecting that he should be mature enough to handle cases and not use it for propaganda pusposes only...any comments guys?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka bumalik ng hospital si FG.....hehehehe

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hindi makakaporma mga kawatan ngayon

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Comments? More trials by publicity... 'in aid of legislation' kuno. But no new laws will really be passed... Don't get me wrong, I'm no FG/GMA lover... just tired of the same old crap.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    This is good.a very powerful committee.FG, watch out!!!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    "The Song Remains The Same"
    "Daze And Confused"
    "Rocked And NO Roll"
    "no Celebration Day"

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'm ambivalent with Cayetano being the chairman of the blue ribbon committee. Based on what I see on presscons, and newspapers, he's a loose cannon.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    popcorn

lazyboy

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    bago tayo magumpisa ng talakayan

para san ba talaga yan Blue Ribbon Commitee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Alan Peter Cayetano - Blue Ribbon Commitee Chairman