New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    August 20, 2007 (the nearest Monday before August 21) was declared as Ninoy Aquino Day. since this day is devoted to Ninoy, i believe it's worth reading his biography...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benigno_Aquino,_Jr.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

it's now 2007. that's 24 years after his death and 21 years after Cory was swept into power. pero ang Philippine politics natin ay walang pagbabago - different faces, but corruption is still alive pa rin.

Ninoy must be turning in his grave.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lolo pepe View Post
    ... but corruption is still alive pa rin.
    Because it wasn't Ninoy that we needed dead.

Its the Marcoses and his minions. Only when all of them are killed that the people will again believe that "crime does not pay".

Corruption is deeply ingrained into the pinoy psyche. We need to be shocked if we are to eliminate it in the shortest possible time.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    24 years na pala sa death anniversary ni Ninoy. i was very young when it happened, and didn't really realize the implications of the death. i just remember that we met the Aquino couple while they were in exile in the US (i was born in the Boston area). so i was a little sad because i thought they were nice people.

panay ang kwento sa akin ni dad na "pinagtimpla ako ng cafe ni Cory nung araw"

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    24 years after

Ninoy gives us a celebrity game show host who suggests that sometimes its ok to buy jeans that the cost is equivalent to one month salary of a common laborer.

-----

So, Are Filipinos really worth Dying for?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Kris was only 12 years old when Ninoy died. i'm not a psychologist but growing up without a father was, i believe, too hard for Kris (or worse she's still experiencing the trauma of her father's death, 24 years after). maybe this is the reason why many of her actions later in her life were sort of "rebellious" in nature and which many of us find inappropriate for one who is the daughter of a former president (Cory) and a national figure (Ninoy).

i'm not siding with Kris but why blame Ninoy for her actions?

oh, yes, the Filipino is worth dying for...but i'm sure Ninoy took exception to the rule - that he'd give his life to the Filipino people but not to those govt. a**holes and corrupt politicians, who unfortunately, still continue to make our lives miserable, year after year.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    you should know ninoy well before you praise him.
    if you are a ninoy fanatic i pity you.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    *Vtec - i don't personally know the man nor i'm a fanatic. i just admire his personal and political will. so don't pity me.

if our country can bestow honors upon him by putting his face on the 500 peso bill, naming our Manila international airports after him (NAIA 1, NAIA 2 and future NAIA 3) and declaring a holiday for him, i believe he had done something EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD for the country to deserve these accolades.

now if you find my praises to him not to your liking for whatever reason, speak your heart out so we'll know why he doesn't deserved to be praised. just don't be sarcastic about it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by VtEC View Post
    you should know ninoy well before you praise him.
    if you are a ninoy fanatic i pity you.
    so tell us what you knew about ninoy that we don't know. don't pitty us who praise ninoy...pitty yourself.
    Last edited by explorer; August 21st, 2007 at 06:07 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    an outsider's point of view:

in my observation, it seems like Pinoys see Ninoy not so much as a man, but a symbol. he became a symbol of martyrdom and the fight against dictatorship. i don't think many people care to know what he was like as a person...they just care about what he represents

24 years after Ninoy...