New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003

Sometimes in Iraq, or hell -- sometimes in Queens -- even an up-armored HumVee just won't cut it. That's when you need the Gurkha by the armor-freaks at Armet Armored Vehicles, Inc. out of Toronto, ON. The squat and hedgehog-lookin' 19,000 lb beast-of-an-armored-vehicle ain't just built to shrug off a roadside bomb with its high strength ballistic aluminum armor, or stop a bullet from an AK-47 with its ballistic glass. No, it's also pretty fast for its size -- with a top speed of 93 mph. Also, considering the cost is only $200,000 -- we're kind of wondering why the US Army doesn't ditch the $300,000+ HumVee for these bad boys.

http://www.aavi.com/

via jalopnik

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Armored Hummers are expensive because a lot of them started out as unarmored units and had to be retrofitted or 'up-armored'

A dedicated armored vehicle would've been cheaper. But then again, a lot of the Army's equipment are designed to bolt straight on to a Hummer and the Hummer is a very flexible platform (ambulance, anti-tank, fuel truck, etc.) so I guess that's where the price premium went.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Looks like it is using Ford F series' side mirrors.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post

we're kind of wondering why the US Army doesn't ditch the $300,000+ HumVee for these bad boys.

http://www.aavi.com/

via jalopnik

one word Sir BB... contract. Same case with Lockheed Martin when there are other reputable companies like those based in Virginia that can provide similar defense system integration. Usually sina-subcon na lang yung mga ganito Sir but nevertheless the Gurkha gets my vote if it works flawlessly like the Humvee and M151. I'm a sucker for armoured mobility

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd get one if it were P9 million cheaper. Kailangan ko ng ganyan panlaban sa mga lubak at baha sa probinsya

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    maganda sana sya kaso pangit ng pangalang Gurkha.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squatt3r View Post
    maganda sana sya kaso pangit ng pangalang Gurkha.

hmm...sir baka lang nakakalimutan mo lang kung sino o ano ang ibig sabihin ng gurkha..at gaano sila hinahangaan...actually ang worry ko eh baka hindi deserve ng sasakyang yan ang pangalang gurkha.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nerbyoso View Post
    hmm...sir baka lang nakakalimutan mo lang kung sino o ano ang ibig sabihin ng gurkha..at gaano sila hinahangaan...actually ang worry ko eh baka hindi deserve ng sasakyang yan ang pangalang gurkha.
    bakit ano ba yun mga gurkha? kakaintriga naman

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gurkhas - Bravest of Brave

"Rare is the person today who has not heard of the Gurkha soldiers, the brave troops from Nepal's isolated hills who bolster the forces of the British and Indian armies. Famed for their tenacity and loyalty in warfare since the late 18th Century, these Kukri-wielding soldiers underscored their fame by playing a key role in the 1982 Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) crisis.

Most people around the world would prefer not to encounter them at any time, in any place under any circumstances. The Gurkhas rank at the top of the list of the world’s all-time most formidable fighting men. Ounce of ounce only nitroglycerine packs more devastating power."

Gurkha

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Galing sa Nepal mga Gurkha ... warriors who gained fame because of their bravery and combat skills. Enemies think twice before engaging them, esp. in hand-to-hand combat where Gurkha skills in martial arts and the kukri knife comes to full use. There are Gurkha units serving in the British Army, the Indian Army, Singapore Police and if I'm right, also in Hong Kong.

EDIT: Hehe, nahuli na pala. Anyway, pangdagdag na lang ... lapit lang dito sa amin ang training base ng mga Gurkha sa British Army.
    Last edited by StraightSix; September 1st, 2006 at 05:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
When A HummVee Just Won't Cut It: The Armet Gurkha