New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    bros,

What will Happen if i Remove the "Box" or "contraption" connected to the air cleaner assembly? Will it increase the power & response of the engine & make it more fuel efficient? or will it just simply foul-up the filter & lessen its power?

i drive a 97 nissan pathfinder 4x4 2.7 diesel engine...daily driver & workhorse usually around the metro only...
    thanks in advance...
    Last edited by gunnym4; December 22nd, 2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: grammar

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ...dust from the air will speed up the deterioration of the engine

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Bro sisirain ang makina mo pag ginawa mo yan, palit ka nalang ng after market na mas malaking air filter. always use air filter sa kahit anong makina.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A: nothing good

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    car can't breath?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Removing the filter will alow you to get all dust and dirt into your trubo and into your engine, making it short sisirain ang engine mo better look for a more applicable after market products na magagamit mo and mag bibigay sa iyo nag need mo.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnym4 View Post
    bros,

What will Happen if i Remove the "Box" or "contraption" connected to the air cleaner assembly? Will it increase the power & response of the engine & make it more fuel efficient? or will it just simply foul-up the filter & lessen its power?

i drive a 97 nissan pathfinder 4x4 2.7 diesel engine...daily driver & workhorse usually around the metro only...
    thanks in advance...
    your question is a lil confusing but il take a shot at it..

is this what you're trying to describe?

Removing the intake silencer won't make any difference to your car's engine or will not make any power. The primary reason it's there is to lessen intake noise. It's just an intake silencer.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    HyBrideVo,

sir you got what i ment..thanks also for the pic...finally, i know what that "Box" thing is for-i'll just leave it as is...many thanks bro!

to the other guys, i apologize for confusing you w/ my question...no pun intended...

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Back in those days when rice cars (lowered, mags, spoilers, etc) had to have "muscular" revving sounds even in low speeds (on downhills, hold the clutch and rev like mad) with their huge exhaust tips pointing upwards, I had a classmate back in high school who wanted his '98 CRV to have the same annoying sounds without paying for any aftermarket parts nor mods. So he hypothesized that he can accomplish such a task with his CRV by simply removing the air filter and the top cover. Silly him. He even claimed that not only did it sound better but the engine is a bit quicker (bec. the air filter is no longer inhibiting the air intake).

The air filter is there for a purpose and that is to minimize the introduction of dirt and other contaminants inside the engine. Just imagine how marathoners would perform if they were behind a smoke belching bus all the time.

What will happen if i remove the air filter?