New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Biodiesel
    Is biodiesel ready for prime time?
    by Robin Dalmas
    What do the U.S. military, the National Park Service, Neil Young, Harvard University, and Daryl Hannah all have in common? The answer may surprise you.
    These celebrities and organizations have turned to an alternative way of fueling their cars, buses and trucks. They're using biodiesel, a fuel that leaves their tailpipes smelling a bit like French fries. But more importantly, they're using biodiesel in hopes that it will help save the planet.

"I've supported the American farmer through FarmAid for 18 years, and biodiesel is a renewable fuel that America can grow in its own soil," Young said in a press release. Biodiesel is made from renewable resources such as soybeans or other vegetable or animal fats, and it's produced by a chemical process that removes glycerin from the oil. It can be used as a pure fuel, called B100, or blended with petroleum diesel in any percentage. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has stringently tested it, and it can be used in any diesel engine with little or no modification to the engine or fuel system.

Europe has had a thriving biodiesel industry for 20 years. After all, half the passenger cars there have diesel engines. In Germany, B100 is often offered at the pump right alongside petroleum diesel.

Though it's still not a household word in the United States, biodiesel has been around for more than a century. When Rudolf Diesel designed the diesel engine in the 1890s, he ran it on peanut oil. But as soon as cheap petroleum-based diesel hit the marketplace, the peanut-oil concept went up in smoke.

http://autos.msn.com/volvo/article.a...tentid=4022450

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nax naman...
    bidiesel convert ka na ba talga doc diesel-PhD? :D
    dito pre, medyo matatagalan pa yata. 3 yrs na since the goverment started the cocodiesel thing and yet... wala pa masyado widespread presence ang cocodiesel. two things.... alang pondo gobyerno to pursue an aggressive campaign, saka nag-reresist ang mga oil companies.
    anyways... in the long run, I hope lumakas din.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sana ibenta nila na nakahalo na sa pump pa lang...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i hope they can at least start it sa mga probinsya

what's the cheapest source of biodiesel? coconut ba?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by badkuk
    i hope they can at least start it sa mga probinsya

what's the cheapest source of biodiesel? coconut ba?
    cheapest? used frying oil... you might be able to get it for free :D

pero for commercial production scales... baka hindi feasible. san ka kukuha ng 10,000 kilos ng used frying oil? hehehehe

*pajerokid
    yan ang isang inaayawan ng big oil companies... for one reason or the other...porke baka daw makasira ng engine, or makadamage sa diesel stock nila etc. etc. pero palagay ko... mas malakas ang profit protection motive :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i miss the smell of biodiesel and diesel......gasoline na auto ko dito, di ko pa alam kung saan mga diesel shops dito, kung sana mura lang diesel dito e for sure, kuha ako ng truck maybe.

Doc Diesel

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i miss biodiesel.. ever since i got my car back in may.. nde pa ako nakakabili ng biodiesel stock ko...

It's really very promising but very important ang role ng government dito. Last Feb na-sign na yung memorandum that all government agencies should use 1% BD sa diesel consumption nila but up to now kokonti pa lang gumagamit.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I miss biodiesel too. Haven't been able to find a source for it in the province (Pangasinan) since we moved here last June.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    mikey177: there is a biodiesel dealer in baguio and if i'm not mistaken, that dealer also has a dagupan city outlet. i misplaced their card but i will try to look for it.

like pajerokid, i wish that they would sell the biodiesel blend in the filling stations na.
    Last edited by diesoline; August 19th, 2004 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What do the U.S. military, Harvard U. and Daryl Hannah have in common?