New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    ngayon ko lang narinig itong 3-second rule.. nasa test ba ito ng LTO?

normally mga at least 2 cars ang distance ko sa front.. mas malayo pag more than 100kph na...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hinde ko gets.. panu naging second?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Originally posted by the_wildthing
    skipper: mas madali ang time regardless of the speed, because the distance will differ depending on the speed. Estimate lang naman yung two seconds so as the vehicle in front of you passes a fixed landmark, e.g. a post, count one-thousand-one one-thousand-two, on two or three you should be passing the post.
    wildthing,
    hindi ba mahirap i-count? baka sa kakahanap ng fixed landmark while driving eh... 1-2-3-4-blag....

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    sir walter, i think its 1 meter/10kph hehe ndi 1 car length

i always maintain this, at least more or less ganyan.. except sa traffic sobra..

mabilis me magpatakbo kasi pero lagi malaki gap sa harap ko

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa canada.. they teach 2 sec sa driver's ed.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For the three second rule, eye the car in front of you and pick a stationary object on the side of the road that you are both approaching (i.e. a tree, lamp post, street sign, etc). When the car passes it, count how many seconds it takes you to pass the same object. That then is the time that separates you and the vehicle ahead.

The time also depends on weather and traffic conditions. If its slow moving traffic like on EDSA, you can keep closer but if your on fast traffic or slippery roads, adjust and stay further.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Originally posted by revoGSX
    wildthing,
    hindi ba mahirap i-count? baka sa kakahanap ng fixed landmark while driving eh... 1-2-3-4-blag....
    Hehehe. Oo nga no. Pero na-try ko na hindi naman, basta malapit lang sa kalye. Dami naman landmark, kahit nga kanto ng tindahan o asong naka-upo. Wag lang tatakbo. :D

Ok din yung 2 car lengths at highway speeds. At more than 100kph (which is beyond the limit anyway) I think 2 car lengths is too short especially for hard braking.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i dont think its a good idea to maintain a gap based on time. ang tinuturo dati ay yung "Safe following Distance" which is basically one car length per 10kph. so if youre running at 100kph, you should be at least 10 car lengths from the car in front of you.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmmm...assuming a sedan is about 3.5-4 meters...at 100kph, dapat 35-40 meters away ako?

(who am i kidding...my ave speed is 60kph B).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i guess estimating distance is a lot easier on the brain than estimating time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Vans and the 3-second rule