New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We've discussed before (long, long ago) that after a cold start in the morning, it is advisable to warm a turbodiesel engine up for a few minutes before the vehicle starts moving. We also discussed that a good alternative to waiting on idle for 10 or more minutes is to start off slowly after 3 or 4 minutes and not strain the engine too much before reaching normal engine temperature.

What i'd like to clarify is: when we say we shouldn't strain the engine, does it mean we should keep the RPMs below 2,000 (thus, we shift to the next higher gear before the tach hits 2,000 rpm) OR does it mean we should keep the vehicle speed below 60 kph?

If it's the former, i can reach a decent 70 kph in 5th gear while still staying below 2,000 rpm... but will doing so be more damaging to the engine in the long run?

Comments? Suggestions?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    IMO, ten minutes is too long, the most important thing with turbo diesel is that you dont race the engine after starting it. i usually warm up two minutes then move the vehicle without aircon after the temp needle starts to move then i turn on the aircon and drive normally. running in 5th gear below 2000 may lag the engine with damages the engine more than revving it high.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    RPM ang important, hindi road speed. Hindi naman alam ng engine ang road speed, eh. Kasi dadaan pa siya sa transmission at differential.

Hindi ba you can also run at 30kph on almost redline? Same basic principle.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mga 2 mins lang din ako mag warmup. malaking strain na ba sa engine kapag naka on ang aircon?
    Signature

5. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    i use autostart ng mannix alarm pag paalis na ako. laking ginhawa with turbo timer rin. di na kayo manghihinayang sa warm up and shut down.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hmmm....diba may glow plug pa promdiboy?? or naka direct injection ka? well as for me as long as the temp. goes normal.pwede mag move. drive slowly muna ng unti para magcirculate ang oil and uminit ang other parts.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    turbo timers are great but are kinda expensive.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    notEworthy27

no prob sa glow plug hinihintay niya muna mag green bago start, tsaka pag di nagstart within 5 secs pahinga muna bago restart uli, lapit na ako palit battery inuubos ko nalang. hehehe

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    akala ko walang ganun for diesels...hmmm saan ka nakabili? alam ko kasi for gas ang merong ganon.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    After starting your car from a cold start, drive your car right away instead of idling it to warm up. You warm up the engine better if you drive it. Huwag mo lang ihataw. Even if you say 2-3K rpm, it depends on how you reach that rpm. E kung pedal to the metal ka sa cold start, from a full stop, strain talaga ang makina mo. Parang sports din yan, any sports. Warm up muna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
turbodiesel warmup question