New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I've been 'babying' my Starex' (CRDi) engine hoping to get the best distance for every liter of fuel to much success. I've been getting around 10km/l. I try as much as possible to keep the engine running smoothly and keep the tach below 2K. I was wondering, for fuel economy, is it better to boost the turbo or not? It seems the boost kicks in between 1.9-2.1K RPM and sometimes, it gets pretty boring 'babying' the engine.

Welcome any comments...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    boost mo ng pakonti konti..

but i prefer superchargers instead..no turbo lag and lesser parts

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a turbo's only happy if it's breathing hard

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    you have to let go sometimes. carbon build-up will make your engine slower and less effecient in the future.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah... but staying off the boost saves so much gas... :lol:

I got a Fortuner down to 5 km/l once... and that wasn't in traffic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    >>fuel economy, is it better to boost the turbo or not?
    siempre off-boost mode gets u the best economy but the problem is you will suffer due to lethargic response fm. the engine and it maybe dangerous in the hiway kasi u maybe too slow if u don't step on the accel. pedal.

if i wer u just step on it and enjoy the hard pull of the CRDi! anyway its totally unavoidable din naman to be off-boost. there are situations that u really need to step on d pedal!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    for me, i use the 'boost' to get out of harm's way(swerving PUV's, trucks, passsing slower vehicles) or just to build momentum and speed. once i got to the optimum speed, hinay na lang sa accelerator.
    Last edited by ian_rex; August 3rd, 2006 at 01:30 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In the daily grind, as long as the engine isnt having a hard time, then keeping the RPMs off the happy range will help your fuel mileage; however, do run her hard from time to time or when the situation calls for it (i.e. overtaking, heavy load, etc) as this helps keep the carbon build-up out.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM
    if i wer u just step on it and enjoy the hard pull of the CRDi! anyway its totally unavoidable din naman to be off-boost. there are situations that u really need to step on d pedal!
    Yes, it really feels good to step on the pedal! Once in awhile, no choice but to accellerate hard. I'm just concerned with the fuel consumption. Since keeping it below the boost sort of lugs the engine a bit, is it more economical to boost it just a wee bit to 'get the motor running?'

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    nothing wrong with babying your engine...

pakawalan mo lang siya let's say, once a week or every 2 weeks. :lol:

you engine's happy, and you're happy as well. ang talo lang diyan is your wallet, but hey, happiness is priceless!

seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Turbo Chargers: To boost or not to boost? That is the question...