New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Washington, D.C. - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released rollover resistance ratings for eleven sport utility vehicles on Monday. Out of a possible five stars, only two SUVs received four stars: the Honda Pilot and Nissan Murano. Seven SUVs received three stars: BMW X5, Honda Element 4X2 and 4X4, Jeep Liberty 4X4, Kia Sorento 4X2 and 4X4, Mercedes-Benz ML350, Mitsubishi Outlander, Subaru Forester, and Toyota 4Runner 4X2 and 4X4.

Two SUVs received only two stars out of a possible five stars: the Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4X2 and 4X4, and the Jeep Liberty 4X2.

According to the NHTSA's definition of rollover resistance, a vehicle with a five star rating has a risk of rollover of less than 10 percent. A four star vehicle has a risk of rollover between 10 percent and 20 percent. A three star vehicle's risk is between 20 percent and 30 percent. A two-star vehicle's risk of rollover is between 30 percent and 40 percent. And a one-star rating is a risk greater than 40 percent.

The NHTSA's Rollover Resistance Rating is not rated on actual rollover tests. It is a calculated estimate of the risk of rolling over in a single vehicle crash. The Rollover Resistance Rating essentially measures vehicle characteristics of centre of gravity and track width to determine how "top-heavy" a vehicle is. The more "top-heavy" the vehicle, the more likely it is to roll over. The lowest rated vehicles (1-star) are at least four times more likely to roll over than the highest rated vehicles (5-stars).

The Rollover Resistance Ratings of vehicles were compared to 220,000 actual single vehicle crashes, and the ratings were found to relate very closely to the real-world rollover experience of vehicles, says the NHTSA.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes they do. That's why I don't really like it when people buy them as fashion accessories.

Yung LC ni Olive Drab akala ko tataob nung nag-test drive ako sa Clark. Hehehe. Pero ok lang naman.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by OTEP
    Yes they do. That's why I don't really like it when people buy them as fashion accessories.
    Hindi ko yata nakuha yung relevance nito sa topic but I guess you're talkin about those SUVs na nilo-lowered or tina-trato as race cars complete with appearance accesories right? :confused:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nope. Any SUV. Stock or otherwise. Dito sa Pilipinas, most SUV's are just fashion accessories ng mayayaman. Status symbol kumbaga. Tapos kapag tumaob, sa manufacturer magagalit. Sheesh. Dapat alam na nilang prone to rollovers ang mga ito before they bought one.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I see..... yung mga misinformed at kumukuha ng SUV for social status symbol. Dami din dito nyan.... ang masama, Pinoy den.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Yep and people actually expect to get a car-like ride and handling from a 2 1/2 ton rig. Thats why 4x2's are becoming more popular as rarely does a transfer case see any use. SOme SUV's go through life without even being shifted into 4H. some more expensive ones don't even see rain. sheesh.
    Drive a car dammit. THey are just making the streets tighter and for no valid reason. I've never seen an Exped get loaded with anything more than jet skis.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by OTEP

Yung LC ni Olive Drab akala ko tataob nung nag-test drive ako sa Clark. Hehehe. Pero ok lang naman.
    : )
    kinabahan ka ba nun?
    kaya nga di na ako sumasama kapag mountain trail.

but i like it that way
    kasi primarily for floods naman siya
    snorkel pa pala.

na-solve ko na yung ingay sa may spare tire carrier
    buti nalang sa likod ako naupo.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Macky
    ...only two SUVs received four stars: the Honda Pilot and Nissan Murano.
    Honda Pilot ba yung parang Acura MDX?

Ano itsura ng Nissan Murano?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys, not necessarily.

Some of us buy SUVs kasi prone ang Manila streets to floods.

Some of us buy SUVs kasi sobrang laki na ng mga potholes na hindi inaayos.

And I want to have an SUV kasi di ako comfortable sa sedan, kasi malaki akong tao.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    rav4 ba kasama sa SUV na sinasabi nyo?ang liit eh hehee we bought one kasi para mataas konti ground clearance for flood and potholes..dalwa lang kami ng sis ko gagamit. its more practical kasi than a sedan/car para sakin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
SUVs do poorly in rollover resistance ratings