New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Sir Tanong lang po...
    Mas malaki ba yung Value Depreciation nung SUV compare to a sedan?

For example: how much will Fortuner depreciate after 10years?

thanks
    curious lang po

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kung gasoline SUV, malakas ang depreciation, comparable to a sedan, because of the gas-guzzling stigma. But Diesel SUVs hold their value much better than sedans, due to the perceived solidity and durabilty of ladder-frame vehicles, and the perceived longevity of the heavy diesel engine blocks.

But no one can say for sure what the Fortuner's resale will be that far down the road. If the D4D proves to be unreliable over the long term (past 150,000 kms / 5 years), it may negatively affect resale value.

That said, I don't know, truthfully, if any of the current CRDi engines will prove as long-lived as the older low-pressure injector diesels. If fuel quality and maintenance prove to be a problem over the long term for this class of engine, expect resale values to drop across the board for diesel vehicles in the future.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CRDI is still a wait and see... Give it two years more and if CRDI vehicles doesn't improve with our diesel quality expect that CRDI SUV to depriciate like a 10 year nissan.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Cool assessment. Dati puro raves ang naririnig ko about CRDi. At least eto pratical.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I still love CRDis, from a practical point of view. It's just that I don't expect them to be as jungle-ready rugged as older low-pressure injector diesels.

Still, you never know. EFI cars are proving to be relatively long-lasting. Computer boxes can last the lifetime of a car (barring shorts caused by poorly maintained or damaged wiring), and fuel injectors for non-direct injection EFIs don't fail or foul quite as quickly as many older carbs did.

So.... if our local diesel quality can be maintained at a high level, CRDis may enjoy long lifetimes. But there's more that can go wrong with them than with regular TDis, which means higher possible maintenance costs, which means that resale may not approach the insane resale values diesels used to command.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CRDI is a fairly new technology like when EFI was introduced to gasoline engines. EFI proved its worth na it became the standard of gasoline engines. CRDI hasn't but soon maybe... diesels usually resales higher for it is common knowledge that diesel engines are tougher than gasoline engines. It is because of the higher temperature that it operates.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    SUV di gano nag-depreciate as compared to vans, pickups, sedans.

pansin ko kahit yun mga old Suzuki Vitara and Kia Sportage mataas pa din presyo even at that age.

regarding CRDi's, it's the only way to go ... hindi na babalik pa ang tao sa old diesels no matter how reliable it is. that's the way of the world, kung ano yun mas convenient syempre.

it's like the AT vs. the MT. back in the older days, dami nagsasabi pangit AT kasi malakas sa gas yan, magastos i-maintain, masyado complicated yari pag nasiraan ka.

pero look * where the world is going ... AT pa din.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    hmmm.. a lot learned here... thanks sir niky.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post

it's like the AT vs. the MT. back in the older days, dami nagsasabi pangit AT kasi malakas sa gas yan, magastos i-maintain, masyado complicated yari pag nasiraan ka.

pero look * where the world is going ... AT pa din.
    Oo, hindi pangit ang AT, peru mas malakas parin uminom ng gas ang hydrolic AT keysa MT.

ewan ko lang sa CVT...

sa probinsya, kung hindi ka sa casa magpaayos ng AT. puweding ma yari ka...
    Last edited by rion; March 18th, 2007 at 05:32 AM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    hmmm.. a lot learned here... thanks sir niky.

Oo, hindi pangit ang AT, peru mas malakas parin uminom ng gas ang hydrolic AT keysa MT.

ewan ko lang sa CVT...

sa probinsya, kung hindi ka sa casa magpaayos ng AT. puweding ma yari ka...
    Sa banawe may mga AT trans surplus. I bought one for my friend's Honda Esi '93 model for 8K. It's running for almost 4 years now okay pa rin. His option kasi mahal magpaayos. Sorry OT na guys... hehehe

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    CRDI is still a wait and see... Give it two years more and if CRDI vehicles doesn't improve with our diesel quality expect that CRDI SUV to depriciate like a 10 year nissan.
    I think CRDI reliability will depend on the company who supplies/manufacture the components. Like for KIA and Hyundai CRDI system being supplied by BOSCH germany which in my opinion will be more reliable than Denso since they pioneered the system. Denso supplied CRDI system is something to watch since they have the most reported problems sa pinas and even some owners are saying that they haven't experienced the problems, it's still something that they have to live up to. Napanasin ko lang kasi sa mga D4D owners they keep saying na sana di mangyari sa unit nila reported problems sa D4D engines which means na wala silang peace of mind sa reliabilty ng rides nila. MO lang po.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
SUV Depreciation