New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    We currently have an Adventure (2003 model I think) and my parents always complain about the riding comfort specially on long travel. Masyado daw matagtag. I'm wondering if it's quite similar to other *UVs type of vehicles. If not, what type of *UVs that are comparable to a sedan? Is it because of the suspension, tires, and/or shocks? Can a stock Adventure be modified to have a riding comfort similar to sedan?

Inputs please.

Much appreciated!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    in MPVs, the Grand Livina and the Carens has a car-like riding comfort while in SUVs, i think it's the CRV.

the "matagtag" feeling in AUVs i think is because of the leafsprings being used at the rear.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    suspension setup yan. most AUVs have leaf springs at the rear kaya matagtag. kahit palitan mo shocks mo, it won't make much of a difference. I'm not familiar though pero alam ko may mga pwedeng gawin like get longer springs and/or magbawas ng "leaf". di ko talaga alam yung term so hintayin natin iba. hehe but this would compromise loading capacity.

as for UVs that ride like a car, the carens and livina are close if they're considered such.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    suspension setup yan. most AUVs have leaf springs at the rear kaya matagtag. kahit palitan mo shocks mo, it won't make much of a difference. I'm not familiar though pero alam ko may mga pwedeng gawin like get longer springs and/or magbawas ng "leaf". di ko talaga alam yung term so hintayin natin iba. hehe but this would compromise loading capacity.

as for UVs that ride like a car, the carens and livina are close if they're considered such.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    If you are after for the riding comfort, do not get an SUV,AUV etc. with a leaf spring suspension at the back. Look for a coil spring with multi-link suspension at the back and you will never go wrong. I'm sure parang kotse ang comfort nito.

Happy riding.......

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, the Mitsubishi Montero and Strada have pretty good riding comfort, despite being leaf spring. It's all down to the tuning of the suspension itself. The Navara is the only other leaf-spring that comes close.

Under 2m, it's hard to beat the Santa Fe. The Montero comes close. The Sorento is way too soft and bouncy over rough roads at speed (much like the Starex).

Amongst coil-spring seven-seaters and SUVs... below 1.5m... the Grand Livina, the Carens, the Escape and the X-Trail are pretty good. The Tucson/Sportage twins are a bit stiff... the CR-V is very stiff...

The Outlander is on the firm side, but still comfortable, as opposed to the CR-V. Too bad it's not on everybody's radar, thanks to the Montero, but it's a good value and comes with a great V6.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    but the MS has no rear leaf spring. it has a 3-link coil springs with stabilizer bar.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    We currently have an Adventure (2003 model I think) and my parents always complain about the riding comfort specially on long travel. Masyado daw matagtag. I'm wondering if it's quite similar to other *UVs type of vehicles. If not, what type of *UVs that are comparable to a sedan? Is it because of the suspension, tires, and/or shocks? Can a stock Adventure be modified to have a riding comfort similar to sedan?

Inputs please.

Much appreciated!
    A cheap temporary (or permanent, if you like) solution to the long-drive riding discomfort problem is to add load to the vehicle before going on the trip -- 1 or 2 cavans of rice, or 1 or 2 sacks of heavy materials, like cement or sand. Somewhere behind the rear wheels.
    Last edited by woohoo; July 14th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    but the MS has no rear leaf spring. it has a 3-link coil springs with stabilizer bar.
    Haha... my bad. Should have specified ladder-frame and not leaf-spring. The Strada has a leaf set-up, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the inputs guys and gals. Please keep it coming.

For sedans, different type of coil springs with different spring rates can be chosen for the suspension. Is this option also available for leafsprings type? I mean, can we replace the stock leafsprings with an aftermarket ones and with different springrate?

*woohoo: Sometimes, my parents take about two cavans of rice plus some stuff whenever they visit us here in Manila. The complain starts when they go back to the countryside. And thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Riding Comfort comparison: SUVs, AUVs, XUVs, CUVs, and Pickups