New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is it true that if you remove the propeller shaft without noting or making a "mating mark", and then putting it back ng basta-basta lang, would produce vibration?

You see, my paj produces this slightly irritating LRT sound at 80kph and only at that speed. Slower or faster, wala. I would tend to suspect that my bearings are faulty, but i remember that this sound only came up after i had my crossjoints replaced. the mechanic failed to make mating marks, thus, the propeller was not replaced in the original position. I read in Haynes that this could lead to vibration. But as i recall, all propeller shafts are balanced diba?

What my other mechanic suggested was that we remove the shaft, turn it a little, replace it in a different position (with reference to previous spindle position) and then test drive. The whole process would be repeated until said vibration is gone.

comments?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    as far as i know the cross joint mount should be aligned on each end.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Pajerokid,

The answer to your question is YES. It can create vibration and noise if installed improperly. First of all, Check your cross joints if they were greased excessively. Otherwise, faulty fitting of bearing caps and errors in the selection of snap ring may result.

Also check this as stated on my factory service manual.

Front Axle Total Backlash Check
    1. If the vehicle vibrates and produces a booming sound due to an imbalance in the drive system, measure the front axle total backlash by the following procedure to see if the differential carrier assembly requires removal .
    a) Place the transfer control lever in the "4H" position and drive the vehicle until the 4wd indicator changes from flashing to illuminated.
    b) Hold the wheels and place the transfer control lever in the "2H" position.
    c) Turn the companion flange clockwise until all play is eliminated, and then align the mating mark on the differential carrier.
    d) Turn the companion flange clockwise until all plat is elminated and measure the distance throuch which the mating marks moved.
    LIMIT: 11mm (.43in.)

2. If the backlash exceeds the limit, remove the differential carrier assembly and final gear. Then check the differential gear meshing condition and the looseness of the drive shaft or inner splines.

Rear Axle Total Backlash Check

1. If the vehicle vibrates and produces a booming sound due to an imbalance in the drive system, measure the front axle total backlash by the following procedure to see if the differential carrier assembly requires removal .
    a) Park the vehicle on a flat , level surface.
    b) Place the transmission control & transfer lever to the neutral position. Then pull the parking brake lever and raise the vehicle on a jack.
    c) Turn the companion flange clockwise as far as it will go. Make the mating marks on the dust cover of the companion flange and onthe diff. carrier.
    d) Turn the companion flange anti-clockwise as far as it will go, and measue the distance through whichthe mating marks moved. If the backlash exceeds the limitremove the differential carrier assembly and adjust the backlash.
    LIMIT: 5mm (.20in.)

RIDE ON ... 8)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARB::: yup, both x-joints were replaced for the rear propeller:D

DY3JRM,

excellent info man!!! thanks!!! :mrgreen:

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Pajerokid,

Anytime pare. Basta ba pag-umuwi ako sa july eh makapag jamming tayo.

RIDE ON...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No Problemo! :mrgreen:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di ba may guide yan? baka hindi mahigpit ang bolt and nuts or some of it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Walang guide Alfred. The propeller shaft can be mounted onto the diff in two ways. What i did this morning was mark the old position, tapos baklas propeller shaft, then i mounted it 180 degrees (the other way). I noticed a significant reduction in my 80kph vibration problem.

Im just gonna reposition it a spline or two the next few days to totally bring the thing back to spec.

a spline a day keeps the mechanic away!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hope you try this already, aligned each end, if i could just draw it.
    the c section should be aligned.

diff flange >]==prop shaft===[<trans flange

this is usually the cause of the vibrations in my trucks pag di na align pag balik ng prop shaft.
    [/code]

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    arb:::

Sir, yung sa differential side, 2 positions lang possible. hindi na-expose yung spline nito. Whats the c section? thanks in advance! :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
PROPELLER SHAFT VIBRATION