New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Anong range ng power ro weight ratio para masabing ang isang kotse e hindi makupad.

Mahirap naman kasing itest drive lahat ng modelo ng sasakyan na pinagiinterasan mo. at the same time e hindi mo naman matest talaga ng thorough.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    basta higher hp per pound/kilo is better.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what I meant is halimbawa 20lbs/HP is it enough?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    well, the ae86 trueno is said to have excellent power to weight ratio...baka pwede mo syang gawing benchmark B)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    ako i still dnt get the idea

pero hindi ba in simple terms:

total weight of car divided by total hp

so it means pag lower yun weight per hp

therefore mas malakas

the smaller the value(pag divide) the better

or the higher the denominator at lower ang numerator the better

something like dat

syempre each hp will be carrying less load therefore more power

sana tama......

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmm i dont get the logic also eh. but you can compute it based on the car manufacturer's published figures, e.g. claimed crank hp and vehicle weight. you can compute it yourself. wala naman sigurong range na excellent or average hp-weight ratio.

kaniya-kaniyang benchmarking/preference lang siguro. also, mas dapat ata tingnan ang torque kaysa hp since this is the biggest factor for acceleration. pang high-end high speed na ang high hp figures IMO.

my 2 cents.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung weight / power... the lower the better.

kung power / weight... the higher the better.

e.g.

Toyota Rav4 2.0L 4WD
    2860 pounds / 148 hp -> 19.32 pounds / hp
    0-100kph in 10 secs (est)

Honda Accord 3.0L V6
    3399 pounds / 240 hp -> 14.16 pounds / hp
    0-100kph in 7 secs (est)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    yah i think there other parameters that also deserve our attention

in so far as the makupad factor is concerned

nasulat na pla ni ssaloon yun basic definition(hehe pcensya na di ko nabasa! yun din pala yon sinabi ko naulit lng )

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    standard disclaimer - power/weight is not the only factor to consider when determining the sportiness of a car...acceleration, steering response, gear ratios, braking, grip, etc. are all important things to consider as well. basically all the things you can research in a magazine and more importantly, discover for yourself on a test drive.

that said, i would go with the idea of a poster above me and find a car that is considered to have excellent/ideal power to weight ratios and see if you can find a car that comes close. for me, my ideal car would be the Lotus Elise, which imo is the closest you can get to a street-legal race car (power-weight ratio is 220hp/t for the US spec)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    power-to-weight ratio is just a very rough guide to performance. for example, if objectively, the P/W ratio seems acceptable, it can still be, subjectively, a sloth. maybe the engine revs so damn slow. maybe the tranny isn't so good. maybe the power delivery is peaky and torque is lacking at low rpm. maybe the gearing is extra-tall (or extra-short).

that said, siguro mga 20 lbs. per hp okay na hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Power to weight ratio