New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hi guys,

We are thinking of buying MAN trucks(brand new).

Any feedback regarding service and spare parts availability?

Does Isuzu have trailer heads?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    they have a local dealership here so consumables like filters wont be much of a problem. since its a brand new German unit, it should last a long long time before things go awry. used to have an old Mercedes tractor head, it was such a work horse until somethings started to break, parts cost an arm and a leg, that is if you can get them
    i don't think Isuzu sell tractor heads locally, next option would be the foton. it comes with a Chinese made cummins engine and German made transmission and differentials. just like japanese heads i heard they are prone to cracks at the chassis.
    if you don't mind me asking, what are the engine and drive line specs of the truck?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    M.A.N. also sells refurbished units.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thank you.

We know that the parts will cost a lot but our main concern is the availability. We cannot afford to wait for 1-2 months for the parts to arrive.

We are thinking of getting the 6 speed with D0836 engine. Model CLA 16.220 4x2. It has 220 HP & 800NM of torque

Quote Originally Posted by loidch View Post
    they have a local dealership here so consumables like filters wont be much of a problem. since its a brand new German unit, it should last a long long time before things go awry. used to have an old Mercedes tractor head, it was such a work horse until somethings started to break, parts cost an arm and a leg, that is if you can get them
    i don't think Isuzu sell tractor heads locally, next option would be the foton. it comes with a Chinese made cummins engine and German made transmission and differentials. just like japanese heads i heard they are prone to cracks at the chassis.
    if you don't mind me asking, what are the engine and drive line specs of the truck?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Any experience with those units?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    M.A.N. also sells refurbished units.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    since its a brand new truck, regular oil changes every 50,000 kms. and regular checks on the fuel and air filters should give you 10 years or so worry free service. since you are getting the 6 speed manual, that means another less thing to worry about. my guess is you are hauling less than 25 tons per load, and that should be very well be within the limits of the 4x2. those are unbelievably tough machines. the only thing i dont like about these modern trucks are the electronically controlled engines, i hope the dealer can give you an assurance that they will have parts for those. in my experience crank and water level sensors, accelerator pedals are the first ones to give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesto View Post
    Thank you.

We know that the parts will cost a lot but our main concern is the availability. We cannot afford to wait for 1-2 months for the parts to arrive.

We are thinking of getting the 6 speed with D0836 engine. Model CLA 16.220 4x2. It has 220 HP & 800NM of torque

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sir, 50,000km oil change intervals? wow!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thanks again.

The dealer assures us of the parts but of course it is part of the sales talk.

Quote Originally Posted by loidch View Post
    since its a brand new truck, regular oil changes every 50,000 kms. and regular checks on the fuel and air filters should give you 10 years or so worry free service. since you are getting the 6 speed manual, that means another less thing to worry about. my guess is you are hauling less than 25 tons per load, and that should be very well be within the limits of the 4x2. those are unbelievably tough machines. the only thing i dont like about these modern trucks are the electronically controlled engines, i hope the dealer can give you an assurance that they will have parts for those. in my experience crank and water level sensors, accelerator pedals are the first ones to give.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    they recommend a change oil at 120,000 kms. but given the stop and go traffic here i took the liberty of halving the interval. those straight six engines are incredibly tough, as long as they dont run out of oil, it will run indefinitly. that also goes with the differentails and the planetary gears.
    not like with the 5k change oil intervals on our small low powered engines. pity on those who swear by semi or fully synth oils.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Don't buy the refurbished units it would just be a pain in the ass. and besides it's just half a million difference from a brand new one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MAN trucks