New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Family is planning to trade our 2008 Ford Explorer for a new truck. We are eyeing on these two models.

Anyone has personal experience on these great trucks and which do you think will be a better vehicle. This will be a family vehicle which we plan to keep and use for a long time. No hard core off roading but we love to explore the province where road conditions can be not as pleasant as in the city.

TIA!

Rem

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've driven the Rubicon and I think it's a much better all-rounder than the Defender.

Same 200 hp engine as the Trailblazer compared to just 125 for the Defender means a much better drive on highways and paved roads. Has all the creature comforts you need too - feels very civilized inside, yet the interior bits are also very durable. I've also tried it offroad and its fancy electronics will help you get out of a deep ditch.

From a video shoot we had last year in Bicol:

imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1424175124.531266.jpg

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Rubicon is, hands down, the better vehicle. Feels very solid, very comfortable (considering the suspension underneath it).

Also, the design is quite quirky...
    http://www.topgear.com.ph/drives/rev...icon-unlimited

The Defender... well, it's crude, but in terms of resale value, it should hold onto its value like crazy. The Wrangler has one of the highest resale values in the US, but here, it's just an American car. It's been a while since I spot-checked secondhand prices, but I remember them being decent rather than amazing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Rubicon is, hands down, the better vehicle. Feels very solid, very comfortable (considering the suspension underneath it).

Also, the design is quite quirky...
    www.topgear.com.ph/drives/review-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-unlimited

The Defender... well, it's crude, but in terms of resale value, it should hold onto its value like crazy. The Wrangler has one of the highest resale values in the US, but here, it's just an American car. It's been a while since I spot-checked secondhand prices, but I remember them being decent rather than amazing.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Thanks *jut703 and *niky. Still waiting for a scheduled test drive for the Rubicon.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just learned from the most recent Top Gear episode that the Defender will no longer be produced.

Definitely resale value will be phenomenal, perhaps it'll even appreciate. And for sentimental reasons, it'll be nice to have one of the toughest classics ever built.

But still, a Rubicon is the more practical choice.

EDIT: as usual, Top Gear has sensationalized the news. There's just a new Defender in the works to replace the current one which has been around since 1990.
    Last edited by jut703; February 19th, 2015 at 02:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    New one won't be the same.

There's actually talk in some circles of a group importing the license-built Indian ones after Land Rover officially stops sale of the current one.

New one won't be the same.

There's actually talk in some circles of a group importing the license-built Indian ones after Land Rover officially stops sale of the current one.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    This is posted in another forum re no more "old" style defender for UK but plans on bringing it to other countries like India:

Land Rover will not kill off much-loved Defender after all with plans to build 4x4 abroad | This is Money

This is posted in another forum re no more "old" style defender for UK but plans on bringing it to other countries like India:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2899334/Land-Rover-not-kill-loved-Defender-plans-build-4x4-abroad.html

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Even then, purists will be looking for Solihull-made Defenders instead of those made by their former colony.

But then again, you're looking for an SUV for the daily drive and not as a collector's item right?