New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I did a search but I couldn't find any specific info on this question.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if there are any minimum specifications for jumper cables to be used in diesel-powered vans?

Nung tumingin kasi ako sa mall, ang sabi sa package ng KYK jumper cables na nakita ko, "For use with gas engine vehicles only. Use model blah-blah for diesel vehicles."

Nung nagtanong naman ako sa mga salespersons, clueless sila tungkol dito at yan lang daw ang meron sila na model. It was rated for 200 amps.

So is there really a more heavy-duty set of jumper cables and do diesel engines really need the more robust kind?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    batteries for diesel engines are usually bigger (hence more amperage) than the ones used for regular gasoline engines. the thicker gauge might be needed in order for the cables not to overheat. several years ago, we tried regular jumper cables to jumpstart a truck's battery and the cables simply fried away.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Don't buy the skinny ones. They won't work. That's what I had. It can start almost any other vehicle except my own. hehehe.

I tried jumping my rig with the MB100, the jumber cable wire just melted! In the end, I just tow-started it using the tow rope I have.

Go with the thickest gauge you can find. That's what we used to start a stalled Adventure. Pinahiram samin ng MB300D driver.

Meron heavy duty jumper cables sa ACE. Fat cables and malaki yung alligator clips. More than Php400.00 siya.

But you can also build your own. They sell the clips at ACE. I don't know if they have the cable, too.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I tried jumping my rig with the MB100, the jumber cable wire just melted! In the end, I just tow-started it using the tow rope I have.
    you can actually see the cables' insulation go up in smoke towards the direction of the dead battery, nakaka-cardiac!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, kala ko aapoy, hawak na ko sa fire extinguisher. hehehe.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    The jumper cables that I have ready for our AT Starex just in case, are rated 200A. Will this do? This is the highest rating for jumper cables that I can find some time ago and I was hoping(?) it can work for this diesel engine.

Hope I'm not going to see this.....:fire: .... hehehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think if you have two sets, it will work. Ginawa din namin iyon. Two crappy jumper cables used at the same time.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try two jumper cables at the same time it will work na try ko na din yan.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the info, guys. Dadaan na lang ako sa Ace pag nasa QC ako. Mukha kasing payat pa yung cables na nasa DIY Shop dito.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    try two jumper cables at the same time it will work na try ko na din yan.
    Thanks for this tip. My battery went dead before and I used an ordinary jumper cables but somehow I couldnt still get the charge I need to start the engine. I tried two other jumpers but still the same. I then noticed that the cable suddenly became very hot. I did not know that I should use a better cable. I ended up exchanging the battery na lang.

So I should have used 2 jumper cables instead. Great. I am still looking for a better cable. Please update this thread if you find one. Thanks a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Jumper cables for diesel vehicles