New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To the guys with full-sized SUVs (i.e. LC, Prado, Pajero, Patrol, etc.), what jack do you use?

A) The stock hydraulic bottle-type jack?
    - whose handle bar you've got to keep turning till forever, till you can have enough lift

B) Other types of hydraulic bottle-type jack?
    - the one with the pump type handle bar

C) Others?

It was only recently that I had a look at the jack in my Prado, and had subsequently tried it out. Demmit! It takes forever to turn/twist that handle bar just to lift one side coz of the long suspension travel, and it takes about the same time to twist it to lower that side. There's got to be an easier way.

For my other car, I have a 2 ton crocodile/alligator type jack that makes easy work of replacing a tire. Same jack can't take the Prado tho.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i use a 2.5ton crocodile jack for my patrol.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks boybi. Isn't it bulky?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir you might have put the jack on the wrong part of the vehicle. since you mentioned that you had to jack it high enough because of the wheel travel.

it is recommended that you jack sa suspension arm sa front so that it goes up after a few turns and sa rear sa axle or sa lower shock mount if the jack can go under it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Thanks boybi. Isn't it bulky?
    bulky, and maingay kapag dumaan sa rough roads or humps. pero ok lang, maluwag naman sa likod.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the inputs guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    sir you might have put the jack on the wrong part of the vehicle. since you mentioned that you had to jack it high enough because of the wheel travel.

it is recommended that you jack sa suspension arm sa front so that it goes up after a few turns and sa rear sa axle or sa lower shock mount if the jack can go under it.
    hmmm... baka nga, ARB. although that's where the manual said that i put it. or at least that's where i thought the manual said. i'll have a look again. thanks! ;)

btw, what jack do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    bulky, and maingay kapag dumaan sa rough roads or humps. pero ok lang, maluwag naman sa likod.
    Ah ok. Not much of a problem with me, may mga maiingay din sa oto ko. Hehehe! Thanks!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    alam ko nag post ako dito ah...

well crocojack din gamit ko before nung may trooper ako...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sa shop we use croc jack, but when changing flats the original bottle jack lang.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My truck came with a scissor jack and it was alot of hassle to use. So I bought a portable floor jack good for 2.5 tons and have two jack stands in the back with it.

But I'd rather have this kind of a jack.
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/bl_funny-4.htm
    Last edited by redorange; February 14th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    My truck came with a scissor jack and it was alot of hassle to use. So I bought a portable floor jack good for 2.5 tons and have two jack stands in the back with it.
    portable floor jack? is this the bottle type of croc type? or something like the one you're showing below?

But I'd rather have this kind of a jack.
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/bl_funny-4.htm
    Hahaha! Nice jack stands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Jack Qs