New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    07Jan2004 (UTC +8)

A few hours after I touched down at NAIA 2, I was out on the hunt for a good 4x4 The first place I checked was the one nearest my aunt's village (in Tunasan, Muntinlupa) at Festival Auto Mall.

This is the first that I found: http://www.autolink.ph/stocks/view.asp?ID=9635
    Mukhang kawawa itong sasakyan na ito. Binugbog ng dating may ari. The transfer case was leaking, so was the front axle seals, and under the engine bay was spotty. It had numerous deep scratches on the suspension control arms as well as on the skid plates. The engine shakes while idling, indicating that the motor mounts are very worn out. On the positive side, the engine still sounds strong, but maybe only because of the known reliability of this engine. The oil is black as normal. It has the H151F 5-speed manual transmission, the HF1A part-time transfer case, and non-locking rear diffs but full-floating rear axle. It has a 12-valve, turbo but not intercooled diesel engine.

On the same lot, is a LC Prado 70-series, and a Japanese RHD-converted 80-series. I didn't get to hear their engines, but they look cleaner than the sorry local HDJ-80 that I saw earler. The 80-series had the nice amenities for a more comfortable ride and looks like it got the fridge too. Its dashboard didn't show the front/rear diff locker switches, but I saw that the rear axle has diff lockers. I take it as another point on how poor the RHD-to-LHD conversions are --as they don't pay attention to all important details (just the bare minimum stuff).

On another car sales lot, also in Muntinlupa, I saw a huge sign that says Autolink.Ph . There I saw a turbo-diesel 100-series with rear locking diffs. It was red and looked very nice except for the yucky chrome handles and side mirrors. That last comment I wished I kept to myself, as I think that this very pretty lady standing near the 'Cruiser, was the one who bought it :P And no, the 100-series is way out of my budget :lol:

I saw another 100-series 'Cruiser there, with a 4.7L v8 gas engine (2UZ-FE) and 5-speed auto tranny (A740F), as well as a 120-series Prado (v6 gas engine) and a v8 4Runner (US-spec, I think). I saw an interesting FZJ-80 series, with the inline6 4.5L gas engine (1FZ-F) mated to a 5-speed manual tranny (H151F). The seller confirmed my guess that it came from Saudi Arabia, but corrected me by saying it was a 1995 model. I was surprised that it had no catalytic converter and no interface for a computer diagnostic port. It was the best-looking 'Cruiser I've seen that day, and the engine purrs like a satisfied tiger. I liked it except for its price, it's estimated fuel consumption (about 5km/L), and it had no locking diffs and it has a semi-floater rear axle*. I'm not decided yet to whether I like the fact that it's a part-time 4wd.

I saw this LR Defender too, http://www.autolink.ph/stocks/view.asp?ID=8947 but nobody was around to let me check it out in detail.

Nearby, I checked out a car shop called Ride Inc., but I saw only cars outside so I didn't bother checking it out.

Later that day, I checked out a 4x4 shop in Pacita, by a guy named Jinggoy (says he know Kits too). I think the shop name is FVJ (or FVG?). He's building a sweet HDJ-80 (turbo-intercooler from Airpower systems) in preparation for TranSport show. He's got so much chrome in it I was blinded the most interesting part to me was his custom anti-sway bar brackets, the Y-upper control arms, and reinforced lower control arms of the front and rear axles. In his shop was parked a nice built-up Nissan Patrol with ARB bar and 35" tyres, amongst other stuff.

Then just today, I checked out a car lot near the city hall of Pacita. I saw a moderately dirty HDJ-81 (Japanese spec) and checked it out. It was about PhP 735,000, with a turbo diesel 1HD-T (non-intercooled, 12valve, but with 24v starter) mated to an A442F 4-speed auto tranny (one of Toyota's strongest 4x4 tranny). By my impressions, it was a product of another poor LHD conversion. The wiper motor and antenna were on the wrong side, the patch up on the firewall was sloppy, the transmission and handbrake levers were on the wrong side, and the welding on the steering components were sloppy. To top it off, their mechanics put in new batteries to start the engine for me, but almost succeeded in frying the **** out of the engine. Fortunately for them, the engine sounded very strong when it started up and I couldn't detect any leaks in it. It had a low engine idle though. And again, it had fr/rr diff lockers but the conversion omiitted out that major detail.

Now, my hunt is still on for a good 4x4. I got a couple of other good leads: one is a modified Hilux (thanks to Alfred!) 4x4, or maybe a new Hilux 4x4 from Toyota Philippines, or maybe an LR D110 (tip from LRCP). If there are any other out there, please feel free to tell me. Thanks in advance!!!

*Don't get me wrong, a 'Cruiser axle is still plenty strong, but for the stuff I do, I need it to be as rugged as I can get it to be. And besides, I like to do some maintenance on full-floaters unlike the maintenance free semi-floaters.
    ** I keep seeing two built-up 80-series Land Cruisers in the Pacita area, near Villa Olympia village. Anybody know who they are? Are they fellow off-road enthusiasts as well?
    ***I saw a very nice Land Rover pick-up in Alabang Hills. It was yellow, with 33" tyres, Camel Trophy stickers, and a soft-top for the pick-up bed. Very, very, very, very, very lovely. It made my heart skip a bit.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Keep on hunting and good luck! :D

But I will bet on that Drexx might purchase a local HDJ-80, then buy a JDM 80 just to get some vital parts.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Drexx:::check your pm.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ah ok, you saw it already pala. good luck and happy hunting ;)

may isa pa pala... LC na prado with 3.0 liter 1Z ba yun na engine and auto tranny. 520k . na test drive ko parang kotse ang response. txt or call 09172755061 look for TOnyo.
    Last edited by afrasay; January 8th, 2004 at 12:56 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MODS::: sorry OT na po.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Drexx,
    i guess the yellow LR 109 pick-up belongs to Dickie G., LRCP member.

i like Landcruisers but i love Landrovers
    get the D110.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Drexx::: pix of the hi-lux

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Originally posted by afrasay
    Drexx::: pix of the hi-lux
    Sir magkano po yan? or pm me

tnx tnx

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    welcome home drexx!!!

pasama ka kay otep mag SUV hunting tayo dito at sa tarlac

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehehehe. Sarap mag ikot ikot kina kimps.

Btw, pano ba malalaman ang full floating sa semi-floating rear axle on Cruisers?

I like full floaters, too. Pero ano ba ang added maintence work na kailangan for them?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
the hunt is on!!!