New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Has any of you done any EGR modification? Ano ginawa niyo? Ano effect? Saan niyo pinagawa at magkano?

Salamat at pasensya na sa maraming tanong.
    URRABI

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what kind of modification are you pertaining to? medyo vague kasi yung tanong. para may makuha kang sagot sa mga tao dito

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    And what vehicle are you planning to modify? What are the objectives of your intended mods?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I just read somewhere that some people have blocked/disabled EGR and this led to less smoke and more power. I am just wondering if anyone here has done that or, for those who did not do any modifications, do they experience problems with smoke and power.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The purpose of EGR is to clean the exhaust by recirculating exhaust gases (thus they will be burned more). It is an emissions control device and thus should be not tampered with unless you are really sure of what you are getting into.

If you let the EGR freely breathe into the atmosphere, you will in theory get cleaner exhaust at the tailpipe because you are spilling some of the pollutants into the engine bay.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I assume that nobody has done any EGR modifications here....so, has anybody ever experienced problems with EGR in 4D56 engines?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Urrabi,

On the stock 4d56 seen in vehicles like the Adventure, etc, I don't seem to recall (but I can have a look again) seeing any EGR system. On the other hand the imported vehicles DO have these systems. The mod basically consists of blocking off the exhaust gas from reaching the intake manifold. The recommended way is to put a blocking plate, rather than to just disable the EGR valves. Normally, under light to medium high-speed driving the valves open, but when idling or full(?) acceleration they are supposed to remain shut. Philippines (and apparently NZ / Aus) do not require EGR. I have tried disabling the EGR on my Bighorn, but didn't really notice much of a difference, either in power or in smoke reduction (uh, because it doesn't really smoke in the first place). did this by disabling the vaccuum lines to the EGR control valves. When I have the time am planning to truly block off the exhaust manifold tap-off and remove the crossover pipe to the intake. The whole thing will probably be worth a few pounds of weight... :-)

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Hi ClemO,

Why did you do the EGR mods if you don't have problems with smoke and/or power, in the first place?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Urrabi,

You can supposedly get a bit of better mileage and power if you disable the EGR, even if your engine is 'perfect'. The EGR basically sacrifices a bit of performance for environmental considerations..

And, its one thing less that can go wrong.. :-)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    URRABI, yellow (ano na ba nagnyari sa kanya?) and i experimented on this dati. What i did was diconnect the EGR hose from the intake tube (before the turbo) and place a simota breather instead.

The reason i did this was because some oil was getting to my turbo's impeller. so far so good, my turbo is as clean as ever. The good thing is, in theory, you have less non-combustible gas recirculating back into the chamber. therefore you get more oxygen and again theoretically, more power.

i think i still have some pics...

www.pbase.com/mann2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
EGR modifications